Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hello All,

the original study group used to work on a defined number of pages per week.
    I am not sure of the speed of the students in this new group: I will start by assigning the same number of pages as they did in 2008 and, based on your feedback, we will be able to adjust to our pace.

This week, through Jul. 30th, we will be discussing and working on pages 1 through 7 (next week will be pages 8 through 11).

This links point to a couple of thread where a lot of discussion about the method happened:
    Study Group - A Modern Method For Guitar Volume one
    anyone else using Leavitt?

This link:

[Study Group] NEW A Modern Method for Guitar
    points to the main thread of the new study group.

Have fun,
    Alex

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where will we post, here or at the link? Here I take it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Can't seem to upload any more files. Can anybody remind me of the steps? I see a number of files that I uploaded in the past but of course don't want them.

The steps that I take:

Add files
    Choose files
    Upload

Then I just close the dialog box and save the post but nothing is uploaded...
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 07-22-2019 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Page 5

User Info Menu

I was thinking about how to approach the material in this book. What picking style should I use. I've read where the material Leavitt has in this book teaches using the flat pick. I have decided to go with hybrid picking. It is just a personal preference in that style. I have always wanted to learn hybrid picking and I figure that now is as good a chance as any to learn that picking style.

I did not run into any issues with this exercise. Seemed straight forward. Reading and playing 1/2 notes in key of C. I do have Leavitt's Reading Studies For Guitar (RSG). In RSG on page 2, he uses the same notes in the first position scale, the low C to middle C, as he does in MMFG vol 1 page 4 ex 1. I have been practicing the scale starting on the low C going through middle C up to high G. Then I go back down to low E and end back up on low C. Just trying to get used to playing all the notes in the C major scale in the first position. In the video I am posting I play the exercise as written.

User Info Menu

I found these two exercises fun. We are still using the C major scale and the notes from low C to middle C. I like how Leavitt sets you up for the triad in the second measure of each section. He lays out the three notes and you just have to keep your fingers in those positions.

Exercise 2 :

Exercise 3 :

User Info Menu

This was another fun exercise.

Exercise 4:

Great that you found the time and willingness to post your recordings: very clean and accurate playing.
    Beginners, do not get desperate if you sound different! I suspect that Jazzstdnt and George are not at the beginning of their guitar journey.

I am now thinking about how to record the several duets that are in the book: likely, I will experiment with Amplitube and my iPad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atarchin View Post
    Great that you found the time and willingness to post your recordings: very clean and accurate playing.
    Beginners, do not get desperate if you sound different! I suspect that Jazzstdnt and George are not at the beginning of their guitar journey.

I am now thinking about how to record the several duets that are in the book: likely, I will experiment with Amplitube and my iPad.
    Yes, the truth is that the Modern Method Volume 1 was a book targeted to freshmen music majors, so it's not a beginners book, per se. Granted, it's not as tough as what a freshman classical guitarist might have been expected to play upon entry, and it's not as tough as what a jazz or classical performance major would be expected to play today. But it was published in 1966. Incoming freshman guitarists in a jazz or contemporary program frequently come from informal musical backgrounds, with little to no reading skills, etc. For example, in the mid 1960s they might have been playing Beatles and Elvis, Blues, Folk, Rock & Roll etc. (no reading, lots of cowboy chords and open position playing, you get the idea).

So for "real" beginners William Leavitt wrote two other books (link below). They aren't nearly as popular though. One could start with Hal Leonard or Mel Bay book 1 for that, or combine those with Leavitt's first books as a way to get prepared for his modern method. The Modern Method gets to material that will support jazz and studio players faster, and the arranging is much more musical. (sorry Hal Leanard and Mel Bay )

So I agree, don't be discouraged by this book, but be advised that it ramps up pretty quickly, so it's for the serious student. Adult beginners may be able to push through it just fine, but have to be patient and perseverant.

https://www.amazon.com/Berklee-Basic...gateway&sr=8-7
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 07-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been getting about 30 minutes a day in on the book but progress is slow; the duet is particularly unpleasant to listen to me play. I've downloaded a multitrack recorder for Android that I will use to do my recordings, but my fat fingers do me no service. Occasionally I stop and play a part of a CM just to remind myself that I can actually play the guitar. Just like being back in school.
    "Talent is a pursued interest; anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

User Info Menu

@atarchin You are correct. I have been in my guitar journey for a bit. The best thing about guitar and music in general is that you are always learning. I am enjoying this study group. Do not get frustrated. Flubbing notes and getting used to certain fingerings are all apart of the journey.

@ah.clem No worries about the duet. Play to play and enjoy.
    Last edited by georgebanketas; 07-26-2019 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atarchin View Post

If you have a computer you can use Audacity, which is free.

But if you can only produce two .mp3 files any of us could always load them up in our DAW and create the duet recording for you and ship it back. Would take about 10 minutes.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Sea to Sea This was a fun duet to play. I like the fact that it puts into practice the content of the exercises up to this point.

Sea to Sea Guitar 1:

Sea to Sea Guitar 2:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    Yes, the truth is that the Modern Method Volume 1 was a book targeted to freshmen music majors, so it's not a beginners book, per se.
    So I agree, don't be discouraged by this book, but be advised that it ramps up pretty quickly, so it's for the serious student. Adult beginners may be able to push through it just fine, but have to be patient and perseverant.
    Yep, good on y'all for getting together a group to help you move forward on this book! You will not be disappointed! I used an instructor to push me through it as personally, I wouldn't have been able to go it alone. For me, the hardest part of the book was the Etudes! Fortunately for me, I had already done a little bit of reading in an old Nick Manoloff, Classic Style Guitar Method book but enough about me. Another thing that really helped me was Youtube and watching the videos. One guy on this forum did a great job of making video's of his lessons and Larry Baione of Berklee made a DVD of the whole book, it's referenced by page numbers. Good luck, and here's the link!

User Info Menu

Here's my first submission. I know I'm behind. I recorded all of week 1 just now with video and audio. I'm adding Exercises 1-4 and I'll do a separate post for Sea to Sea. I'm going to do a video with both guitars and one for each guitar. Definitely some mistakes I'm trying to rush through and getting frustrated. I'm learning Logic Pro X, Final Cut, Youtube, and the MMFG book all at the same time. I'll upload Week 2 in the next few days and hopefully get Week 3 out by the end of the week to be caught up!

Ex. 1

Ex. 2

Ex. 3

Ex. 4

User Info Menu

70bpm and I'm still making mistakes. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up as we go along. I'll definitely come back to these and redo them at some point.

Sea To Sea Gt. 1

Sea to Sea Gt. 2

Sea to Sea Duet (I don't know why it flipped the one video. Still figuring out Final Cut)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D3MONC View Post
    Sea to Sea Duet (I don't know why it flipped the one video. Still figuring out Final Cut)
    That sounds really pretty good and about what I expected playing levels to be at if we're all beginners. I'm not playing the duet that well yet. I had family in for a week so no practice but am back at it again. I think you're doing great!
    "Talent is a pursued interest; anything that you're willing to practice, you can do." - Bob Ross

User Info Menu

Here's my first submission. I know I'm behind. I recorded all of week 1 just now with video and audio. I'm adding Exercises 1-4 and I'll do a separate post for Sea to Sea. I'm going to do a video with both guitars and one for each guitar. Definitely some mistakes I'm trying to rush through and getting frustrated. I'm learning Logic Pro X, Final Cut, Youtube, and the MMFG book all at the same time. I'll upload Week 2 in the next few days and hopefully get Week 3 out by the end of the week to be caught up!

Sounding good! Keep up the great work!

User Info Menu

70bpm and I'm still making mistakes. Hopefully it'll get cleaned up as we go along. I'll definitely come back to these and redo them at some point.

Sea To Sea Gt. 1

You did a great job D3MONC! Don't worry about the bpm. Play with what feels comfortable to you. The speed will come. Don't worry about the mistakes. This is jazz. There are no mistakes

User Info Menu

Very nice playing from everybody, Here is my first clip (Sea to Sea - duet) @ 70 BPM and not without mistakes:

I am also a bit late to start, but I'll try to catch up. I do play all the excercises, but I think I won't record & post everything here.