User Info Menu

Not sure where to post this, so this seemed as good as any...

If any have not heard about the fantastic package deal on the complete jazz book/audio package (25 books!) currently being offered here from these forums, now is the time...

Having just finished downloading all 25, I am looking at a tremendous list and thinking, is there a suggested order to all this? I think the starting point is the "Introduction To Jazz-Blues" series, but am not sure. Maybe it is a matter of just diving in somewhere that looks particularly interesting. This set is an encyclopedia of just everything one would need to attend to for a well rounded introduction to various facets of playing jazz guitar, but the sheer number of books and breadth of subject matter can be a bit intimidating.

Tony

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't believe the complete collection of books were intended to be used as a sequential jazz guitar method.

Perhaps if you look at the collection of books called the "Starter Pack" and view them as more foundational material, and everything else as supplemental or specialized.

Thanks Cosmic Gumbo. Your response makes perfect sense, and I will do that.

Tony

User Info Menu

I've got a bunch of the downloads from here as well and they are filled with great stuff to work on. I simply use what I'm particularly interested in at the moment. Lots of stuff that I've not got into yet. Frankly, I've bought things that I likely won't get to use for quite some time but figure it's good to support the site given all the useful things I get that are free.

From what I have seen so far in these books, it seems that most everything one could want to build a good, wide foundation for playing jazz is here. For anyone coming to the forums and asking questions about the fundamentals, the best answer would probably be to suggest this collection.

I suspect that those who wrote these books must be monster players, to have absorbed all that material and then presented in an easily digestable form for others. I can see that for most any question I have in my own studies, the answer will be found somewhere in these books.

Tony

User Info Menu

Thanks for checking out the books, hope you dig them. I suggest starting with the 30 Days eBook, the move on to an easier study guide like Summertime or All Blues from there. After that you can go with motivation as to what to dig into, but the study guides should always be a part of your daily workout as that's where all the material is applied to tunes. Enjoy the books!

User Info Menu

Cheers, glad you dig the books, have fun with them!

Quote Originally Posted by m78w View Post
    Thanks for checking out the books, hope you dig them. I suggest starting with the 30 Days eBook, the move on to an easier study guide like Summertime or All Blues from there. After that you can go with motivation as to what to dig into, but the study guides should always be a part of your daily workout as that's where all the material is applied to tunes. Enjoy the books!
    Thanks for this thoughtful reply, Matt. I will definitely take your advice...

Tony