The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 155

User Info Menu

@atarchin You are correct. I have been in my guitar journey for a bit. The best thing about guitar and music in general is that you are always learning. I am enjoying this study group. Do not get frustrated. Flubbing notes and getting used to certain fingerings are all apart of the journey.

@ah.clem No worries about the duet. Play to play and enjoy.
    Last edited by georgebanketas; 07-26-2019 at 05:17 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sea to Sea This was a fun duet to play. I like the fact that it puts into practice the content of the exercises up to this point.

Sea to Sea Guitar 1:

Sea to Sea Guitar 2:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Yes, the truth is that the Modern Method Volume 1 was a book targeted to freshmen music majors, so it's not a beginners book, per se.
    So I agree, don't be discouraged by this book, but be advised that it ramps up pretty quickly, so it's for the serious student. Adult beginners may be able to push through it just fine, but have to be patient and perseverant.
    Yep, good on y'all for getting together a group to help you move forward on this book! You will not be disappointed! I used an instructor to push me through it as personally, I wouldn't have been able to go it alone. For me, the hardest part of the book was the Etudes! Fortunately for me, I had already done a little bit of reading in an old Nick Manoloff, Classic Style Guitar Method book but enough about me. Another thing that really helped me was Youtube and watching the videos. One guy on this forum did a great job of making video's of his lessons and Larry Baione of Berklee made a DVD of the whole book, it's referenced by page numbers. Good luck, and here's the link!

OK, thanks all for working on the first week material.

The original study group, advanced at a relatively slow pace: your feedback about the speed at which we should move is more than welcome.

I have the Kindle version of the book and it does not have page numbers... I might start using exercise numbers and titles to reference the material in the future: with these pages, I believe we are going to cover the "Sea to Sea" duet (a lot of fun, already).

User Info Menu

Sea to Sea was page 6, but whatever works is fine.

Any chance that you could open a few sections in advance each week please? For example, 8-11, 12-15, 16-19. Something like that. Some studies are more difficult than others and need a little more soak time, even if on lower numbered pages.

Thanks again for starting the thread!

User Info Menu

Thanks atarchin for setting up this group and weekly threads! I'm still away from my guitar this week, but i will start to work on book next week.

User Info Menu

Exercise 5 - pg 8:

Exercise 6 - pg 8:

Exercise 7 - pg 9:

User Info Menu

OK, in reviewing the Berklee jazz songbook, yes it has a lot of open position stuff and lower position stuff. The fingerings are indicated so it's self explanatory.

In reviewing some of the tunes this morning I think we should throw in a few of them along the way - but just optional. They aren't too difficult, sound good, and align with MM Vol 1 pretty darned well, as intended.
    Maybe I'm too new in my studies, but I have no clue how to align the songs in the Jazz songbook with the Modern Method Vol 1. Is there any rough estimate of which songs "align" which specific page numbers, or sections in the MM Volume 1? Or are all of the songs similar in difficulty, and any of them be begun once you reach page 6 of the Modern Method Vol 1?

I'm still learning my Drop 2 and Drop 3 7th chords in private lessons, so for me there's a big difference in complexity between page 6 and page 60 of MM Vol 1.

Thanks for any comments.

Dave

User Info Menu

Exercise 8 pg 9 :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DG40
    Maybe I'm too new in my studies, but I have no clue how to align the songs in the Jazz songbook with the Modern Method Vol 1. Is there any rough estimate of which songs "align" which specific page numbers, or sections in the MM Volume 1? Or are all of the songs similar in difficulty, and any of them be begun once you reach page 6 of the Modern Method Vol 1?

I'm still learning my Drop 2 and Drop 3 7th chords in private lessons, so for me there's a big difference in complexity between page 6 and page 60 of MM Vol 1.

Thanks for any comments.

Dave
    I would say it's more general than that. Like the method book it gets more challenging as it goes, and single note lines move upward a little from the open position, but only so far.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 08-02-2019 at 07:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DG40

Thanks for any comments.

Dave
    As I reread your post I would reiterate that Leavitt MM Volume 1 isn't necessarily a "real" beginners book. But if you are using it that way and willing to work - fine.

In that instance, yes, page 60 is a far cry from page 6. No open position notes, eigth notes vs. half notes etc.

But - page 60 is just a Leavitt stretch fingering that varies from a CAGED fingering by stretching for the sub-dominant pitch (F in this case). Then it throws in a chromatic G# or Ab. If one has played a few scales before, their teacher could probably show them a fret board dot diagram for that scale, and they would be playing it in about 3 weeks.

Just something to keep in mind when you step back from it, and in consideration that you'll likely spend months working through Part 1 of MM Volume 1.

User Info Menu

It's funny, I swear everytime I start coming back to this forum it's just after someone starts doing a new group. I'm an off and on player for years and I'm really going to try and jump in and catch up to you guys.

@atarchin could you please edit your first post here and add dates for a timeline? Also, would you mind maybe adding links to the new forum threads per each date. I'm already behind and a little confused on where I need to get to. I know it's a little more work on your end but it would really be helpful!

I.E.
    Pages 1 through 7 - 7/22 to 7/28
    Pages 8 through 11 - 7/29 to 8/4
    Pages 12 through #? - 8/5 to 8/12

Or maybe this:
    Pages 1 through 7 (Exercise # to # or Name to Name for people with E Book as I've heard it doesn't have page numbers?) - 7/22 to 7/28

If you could make these links so we can click the first one and go straight to that thread that would be extremely helpful. I've browsed the threads and see a couple people saying they are starting late, away from their guitars, and people like myself who find this late would really benefit from this organization. I'm looking forward to stopping my procrastination and actually following along with you guys!

User Info Menu

One, Two, Three, Four pg 10 - Guitar 1 :

One, Two, Three, Four pg 10 - Guitar 2 :

Rhythm Accompaniment pg 11 :

User Info Menu

Nice going George! In the page 11 "Rhythm Accompaniment", that C chord with the E in the bass and G on top really bugs my left hand coming off the F.

Leavitt really challenges the guitarist with chord work, from the start of Volume 1 through the end of Volume 3.

User Info Menu

Nice going George! In the page 11 "Rhythm Accompaniment", that C chord with the E in the bass and G on top really bugs my left hand coming off the F.

Leavitt really challenges the guitarist with chord work, from the start of Volume 1 through the end of Volume 3.
    @Jazzstdnt,

Thank you! It took a while for me to get the hang of that F to C transition. I am still working on it. Speaking of the C with the E in the bass, would it be correct to say that is the 1st inversion or 2nd inversion of C? For the G7 would that be 2nd or 3rd inversion? I am trying to understand inversions. Just wondering. Thank you in advance!

George

User Info Menu

well if atarchin doesn't want to do that we could always use feps old threads, couldn't we?

They're well organized and have an index etc. The basic cadence is one set of pages per week, which you can guess your way through by observing what others play even if you don't have page numbers at your disposal. Further, you can go at your own pace. Who here doesn't do that anyway?

Just an idea.

User Info Menu

Hey George - Yes, the C is in first inversion (3rd in bass) and the G7 is in second inversion (5th in the bass).

Only the F chord is in root position.

well if atarchin doesn't want to do that we could always use feps old threads, couldn't we?

They're well organized and have an index etc. The basic cadence is one set of pages per week, which you can guess your way through by observing what others play even if you don't have page numbers at your disposal. Further, you can go at your own pace. Who here doesn't do that anyway?

Just an idea.
    atarchin does want it, it is only taking him a couple of days to implement it :-)

User Info Menu

I'll start my submissions next week. I'm practicing through them now trying to get them right. I like watching / listening through everyone's so far. I've got a couple beginner questions maybe you guys could help me with.

What tempo are you starting at? Are you working up to a specific tempo or just what you feel comfortable doing clean / without mistakes? Is it a bad idea to subdivide my metronome? I.E. I'm playing at 60bpm on 4/4 but, I set a different tone for beats 1 and 3. I struggle with the same click tone for beats 2, 3, and 4 when it's so slow.

For "Rhythm Accompaniment" sections, are they supposed to be like the backing track for the duet? I.E. Pages 10/11, One, Two, Three, Four (Duet) is shown but then halfway on page 11 is the "Rhythm Accompaniment".

Does the book later identify the chord names for the early triads? I know the "Rhythm Accompaniment" on page 11 identifies some 4 note chords but, I don't see any of the original triads called out by chord name and inversion.

Did we decide on the supplementary book? I know the Jazz Berklee book was mentioned and the Jazz Standard Study Guides. Someone create a poll!

User Info Menu

@D3MONC,
    I just go with the tempo I feel comfortable with and can play clean at the time.
    On the subdividing the metronome. I am learning how to set it to the 2 & 4. It is still awkward for me to play the 1 & 3 off the click while the 2 & 4 are on the click. The click being the high hat of the drummer. I sometimes forget where I am at in the beat and start to rush.

I know this did not really answer your questions about tempo and the metronome. I hope you are having fun practicing. Take care.

George
    Last edited by georgebanketas; 08-03-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Thread for the week starting on Aug 5th 2019.
    This is the first thread adopting the new naming conventions: I found that the thread title is limited to a certain number of characters and I had to slightly modify the original intended format.

Also, please, note that the last piece of last week was the duet "One, Two, Three, Four".

Leavitt introduces four notes chords, played in various inversions and additional ledger lines, to represent notes that are too low or too high to appear on the staff.

As requested, I am making available several threads in advance.

This is for the week starting on Aug 12th 2019.

Leavitt introduces sharps, flats and naturals signs. He gives students only the info needed to progress to the next step: no deep discussion of sharps and flats or explanation of the key signature takes place in these pages.

Thread for the week starting on Aug 19th 2019.

First, a little explanation about chord naming conventions, then the exercises and the duet that introduce eighth notes.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 08-11-2019 at 02:35 PM.