The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 155

User Info Menu

Let's start a new study group for "A Modern Method For Guitar", by William Leavitt (MMFG).

Official start date will be Jul 22nd 2019: this should give people enough time to decide to join and, eventually, purchase the book.

At least initially, we will adopt the same structure used by the original group, working on a number of pages per week, according to the pace set by our predecessors.

My name is Alex, I live in Italy and I am looking forward to sharing challenges and successes with other players willing to jump on this same train.

Let the fun begin (again)!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..." Got my book and ready to go.

User Info Menu

Book is ready here.

User Info Menu

I would be interested to join too.

User Info Menu

I'm interested. It will be nice to have a new group of people to struggle along with (while having fun!).

I've got the book, and I've worked to page 25. But, it's slow-going for a beginning guitarist like me.

I have started with a teacher to help guide me through the book too, so I'll try to pass along anything I'm told.

User Info Menu

Are you referring to Vol 1? I think I bought it quite a while ago and wasn't having "fun" doing it by myself but might be interested in a group. It was slow going for me but...

User Info Menu

Yes, Volume 1 is the one.

User Info Menu

Before we get started, just a couple of ideas to throw out there.

1. IMO, players should not hesitate to work on Section I and Section II of this book simultaneously, should they be comfortable with that. A few reasons:

• A player can "get stuck" in Section I for some time, and it's focused on open position studies, "cowboy chords" and so on. All of that is useful for a well rounded guitarist - but jazzers in particular work with movable forms up the neck 98% of the time, which is what Section II is focused on.
    • Section II focuses on major scales (no minors yet) and there are only 4 fingerings required. That's one fewer than CAGED, so should be achievable.
    • A player can "slow walk" Section II as they see fit. In other words, you can take your time.
    • A player can gain a much greater sense of accomplishment and motivation if they don't put off Section II for that rainy day when they complete Section I.
    • To avoid feeling overwhelmed, a player can work through page 25 or so of Section I, before starting on Section II.

User Info Menu

Here's my second idea/suggestion:

Leavitt's method is very supportive of jazz guitar playing, skill building etc. but is not really a "jazz guitar method" style wise. Style wise it's more of a "plectrum guitar method". It's great for technique building, reading skill, and has a lot of great "etudes" or musical exercises throughout. William Leavitt was simply an outstanding guitar arranger and pedagogue - very musical and knowledgeable.

BUT

Whether one studies at Berklee, another college, or their local Guitar Center, one central goal is clear - to play music. In other words, repertoire. In other words, tunes. For example, at Berklee their 8 levels of guitar advancement roughly align with Leavitt's old method but your instructor will have you learn at least 6 tunes per semester, in addition to some other improv materials etc. To this end Berklee has now published a Jazz song book which aligns with Leavitt's volume 1. And they have other books covering chords and voice leading which are Jazz oriented. The Jazz song book has nice solo guitar arrangements but is also oriented around the low end of the fretboard in a lot of cases.

So I have another suggestion. I think it would behoove this study group to utilize some of the excellent materials that this very website offers! For example, the Jazz Standard Study Guides. Using but one example, the tune Autumn Leaves is broken down into scales, chords, arpeggios, chord outlines and phrases for jazz language improv, and a bass line. It is all broken down very nicely with helpful theory explanations along the way. We could have a parallel thread where we tackle such a tune over time, weaving in more and more material. For example, just play the comping chords and upload your recording, then the melody, then add the bass line. Or - bass, then chords, then melody. From there play the scales and arpeggios, and finally the jazz language outlines and phrases. Build your jazz tune playing capability from the ground up!

Overall this would be supportive of a more comprehensive study plan that is leveled and graduated. Made up of Leavitt and Jazz Tunes study.

All in all it would include - Technique, reading, etudes, tunes, jazz improv skill building.

Finally - anybody could join this other thread, and at any time. No pressure, just fun.

Just think about it - in two-three years you could have a solid technique foundation - AND - be able to play ten or so jazz standards convincingly. Head, bass line, comping, a little chord melody, and a solo. For the solo you could improvise, use written solo material, or a combination of the two. If you play it with a little attitude and style, 95% of the population (including your friends and family) won't know if it's improvized or written, and 99% won't give a damn.

Would welcome others thoughts on this idea.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 07-18-2019 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm definitely on board with this and agree with jazzstdnt's suggestions, particularly getting the jazz songbook that goes along with the method!

User Info Menu

@Jazzstdnt,
    I like your ideas/suggestions! I never thought about using the Autumn Leaves material from this website and other songs in conjunction with the Modern Method series. Thank you for that idea! I do have the jazz book you mentioned and I have been using that in conjunction with MM but not really sure if I was using it correctly. Meaning , should I have stayed in the same position as I was in following the MM book? Only play songs in notated in first position? Thanks again for your ideas/suggestions!

George

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by georgebanketas
    @Jazzstdnt,
    I like your ideas/suggestions! I never thought about using the Autumn Leaves material from this website and other songs in conjunction with the Modern Method series. Thank you for that idea! I do have the jazz book you mentioned and I have been using that in conjunction with MM but not really sure if I was using it correctly. Meaning , should I have stayed in the same position as I was in following the MM book? Only play songs in notated in first position? Thanks again for your ideas/suggestions!

George
    Hey thanks!

On that second question I hesitate to give a blanket answer because it's been a while, but if you will ask about a specific tune I should be able to answer. I played most of the tunes in that book, with a few exceptions only.

User Info Menu

OK, in reviewing the Berklee jazz songbook, yes it has a lot of open position stuff and lower position stuff. The fingerings are indicated so it's self explanatory.

In reviewing some of the tunes this morning I think we should throw in a few of them along the way - but just optional. They aren't too difficult, sound good, and align with MM Vol 1 pretty darned well, as intended.

A lot of great ideas and suggestions!

I believe that any material and discussion will be welcome.

Personally, I am already working in parallel on George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanisms (by the way, if anyone has tried it, I would be happy to chat about it) and I cannot commit to any other book or plan: however, I will be happy to follow and experiment, especially in the next three/four week, as I will be on holiday, with more free time than usual.

I am about to create the thread for the first week of study: thanks all for your participation.

Alex

Hello All,

the original study group used to work on a defined number of pages per week.
    I am not sure of the speed of the students in this new group: I will start by assigning the same number of pages as they did in 2008 and, based on your feedback, we will be able to adjust to our pace.

This week, through Jul. 30th, we will be discussing and working on pages 1 through 7 (next week will be pages 8 through 11).

This links point to a couple of thread where a lot of discussion about the method happened:

anyone else using Leavitt?

This link:

[Study Group] NEW A Modern Method for Guitar
    points to the main thread of the new study group.

Have fun,
    Alex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atarchin
    A lot of great ideas and suggestions!

I believe that any material and discussion will be welcome.

Personally, I am already working in parallel on George Van Eps Harmonic Mechanisms (by the way, if anyone has tried it, I would be happy to chat about it) and I cannot commit to any other book or plan: however, I will be happy to follow and experiment, especially in the next three/four week, as I will be on holiday, with more free time than usual.

I am about to create the thread for the first week of study: thanks all for your participation.

Alex
    Fantastic!

And that Van Eps book is stout. Leavitt gets into similar material, especially in Volumes 2 and 3.

User Info Menu

Where will we post, here or at the link? Here I take it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

I am going to be doing this concurrently with Howard Morgen's fingerboard book but may have time to look at other materials. I'm looking forward to the discussions.

I am also going to be doing this fingerstyle only so perhaps we will have some conversations about fingering later on.

User Info Menu

I was thinking about how to approach the material in this book. What picking style should I use. I've read where the material Leavitt has in this book teaches using the flat pick. I have decided to go with hybrid picking. It is just a personal preference in that style. I have always wanted to learn hybrid picking and I figure that now is as good a chance as any to learn that picking style.

I did not run into any issues with this exercise. Seemed straight forward. Reading and playing 1/2 notes in key of C. I do have Leavitt's Reading Studies For Guitar (RSG). In RSG on page 2, he uses the same notes in the first position scale, the low C to middle C, as he does in MMFG vol 1 page 4 ex 1. I have been practicing the scale starting on the low C going through middle C up to high G. Then I go back down to low E and end back up on low C. Just trying to get used to playing all the notes in the C major scale in the first position. In the video I am posting I play the exercise as written.

I am also going to do it fingerstyle, mainly using my thumb and index finger (let's call it "a la Mark Knopfler" )

User Info Menu

I found these two exercises fun. We are still using the C major scale and the notes from low C to middle C. I like how Leavitt sets you up for the triad in the second measure of each section. He lays out the three notes and you just have to keep your fingers in those positions.

Exercise 2 :

Exercise 3 :

User Info Menu

This was another fun exercise.

Exercise 4:

Great that you found the time and willingness to post your recordings: very clean and accurate playing.
    Beginners, do not get desperate if you sound different! I suspect that Jazzstdnt and George are not at the beginning of their guitar journey.

I am now thinking about how to record the several duets that are in the book: likely, I will experiment with Amplitube and my iPad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atarchin
    Great that you found the time and willingness to post your recordings: very clean and accurate playing.
    Beginners, do not get desperate if you sound different! I suspect that Jazzstdnt and George are not at the beginning of their guitar journey.

I am now thinking about how to record the several duets that are in the book: likely, I will experiment with Amplitube and my iPad.
    Yes, the truth is that the Modern Method Volume 1 was a book targeted to freshmen music majors, so it's not a beginners book, per se. Granted, it's not as tough as what a freshman classical guitarist might have been expected to play upon entry, and it's not as tough as what a jazz or classical performance major would be expected to play today. But it was published in 1966. Incoming freshman guitarists in a jazz or contemporary program frequently come from informal musical backgrounds, with little to no reading skills, etc. For example, in the mid 1960s they might have been playing Beatles and Elvis, Blues, Folk, Rock & Roll etc. (no reading, lots of cowboy chords and open position playing, you get the idea).

So for "real" beginners William Leavitt wrote two other books (link below). They aren't nearly as popular though. One could start with Hal Leonard or Mel Bay book 1 for that, or combine those with Leavitt's first books as a way to get prepared for his modern method. The Modern Method gets to material that will support jazz and studio players faster, and the arranging is much more musical. (sorry Hal Leanard and Mel Bay )

So I agree, don't be discouraged by this book, but be advised that it ramps up pretty quickly, so it's for the serious student. Adult beginners may be able to push through it just fine, but have to be patient and perseverant.

https://www.amazon.com/Berklee-Basic...gateway&sr=8-7
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 07-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been getting about 30 minutes a day in on the book but progress is slow; the duet is particularly unpleasant to listen to me play. I've downloaded a multitrack recorder for Android that I will use to do my recordings, but my fat fingers do me no service. Occasionally I stop and play a part of a CM just to remind myself that I can actually play the guitar. Just like being back in school.