The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Some that immediately come to mind are as follows: Barney Kessel's videos with Rumark, Joe Pass Jazz Lines, and Emily Remler's 2 Hot Licks tapes.

Below are links to the first 2:

Enjoy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Out of all the ones I've gotten to see over the years, Robert Conti's jazz guitar lesson DVDs are my favorites.

His material is easy to assimilate and fun to work with.

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

I recently got the mymusicmasterclass videos on solo guitar by Bruce Forman and Andy Brown, they are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I recently got the mymusicmasterclass videos on solo guitar by Bruce Forman and Andy Brown, they are very good.
    I've stumbled upon those Bruce Forman ones too, but still haven't pulled the trigger for whatever reason. The one that caught my eye the most was his "Bebop Guitar" video. Even the preview had some nice nuggets about articulation and slurring. Very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by montes707
    I've stumbled upon those Bruce Forman ones too, but still haven't pulled the trigger for whatever reason. The one that caught my eye the most was his "Bebop Guitar" video. Even the preview had some nice nuggets about articulation and slurring. Very cool.
    I think Bruce is a great teacher, he has a very engaging personality and really breaks things down into simple concepts (he also has an amazing ability to play jazz guitar while he’s talking!)

I also got his ‘learning tunes’ video, also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think Bruce is a great teacher, he has a very engaging personality and really breaks things down into simple concepts (he also has an amazing ability to play jazz guitar while he’s talking!)

I also got his ‘learning tunes’ video, also very good.
    Literally just bought that one lol; seems very good so far. Also, as an aside, thank you for the Jim Mullen performance you posted on your YouTube. I've had that video liked before and now I see that your it's OP. Small world

User Info Menu

Yes, the Emily Remler ones that got taken off youtube immedietly came to mind when I read the title of the thread.

Good that youtube stays on top of the copyright issues so that Emily (and other artists) gets a fair pay for her creative work

User Info Menu

What are your favorite jazz guitar lesson videos?-herb-ellis-dvd-jpg

User Info Menu

Roni Ben-Hur's DVD 'Chordability'

What are your favorite jazz guitar lesson videos?-51b5ld5rojl-_sy445_-jpg

Sheryl Bailey's 'Bebop Flow' video on MikesMasterclasses was a real "light bulb" moment for me.
    Bebop Flow: Connecting Harmonic Concepts with the Family of 4 - Mike's Master Classes

I'm also a big fan of the excellent content that MyMusicMasterclass has been releasing in the last couple of years - the videos from Bruce Forman, Roni Ben-Hur, Pasquale Grasso, Brad Shepik and Adam Rogers are real favourites.

User Info Menu

Generally, I watch live performances. But I do have a couple of instructionals one is Frank Gambale No More Modes Mystery (or something like that) it is amazing what Gambale knows.

I enjoy Pat Martino books and I can find examples of some of the "activities" that he does on YouTube to help l me get through the book when I'm kind of stuck.

I like watching Tim Lerch and I wish there were better Tim Green videos out there.

I like watching Bruce Foreman and I wish there was more instructional videos out there by him as well.

My tastes changed from Fusion to more straight ahead and that's when I got into Martino I also like watching Chet Baker DVDs, I like listening to trumpet players for the most part moreso than saxophonists.
    Last edited by geogio; 06-18-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Syntax

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    What are your favorite jazz guitar lesson videos?-herb-ellis-dvd-jpg
    Thank you for this. The whole "play the music within you" topic is great. Barney, Emily, and Joe touch upon it as well. Heavy stuff.

User Info Menu

Any and all of Tim Lerch vids doing Ted Greene stuff -

Will

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    Any and all of Tim Lerch vids doing Ted Greene stuff -

Will
    How have I been on YouTube so long and not stumble upon this monster you posted at some point? It makes you wonder what other monster players are hiding there, waiting to be discovered...Thanks for this.

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    I like the youtube video lessons made by Sandra Sherman from Vienna in Austria. They are easy to understand even for jazz guitar beginners like me to learn some standards, combing and soloing.

Rob MacKillop is an awesome guitar player and he did a great job with his Mickey Baker Guitar Volume One video lessons.

A big thank you from my side Sandra and Rob for your work and also because all your video lessons are for free.
    Last edited by Musgo Real; 06-22-2019 at 04:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the Larry Carlton true Fire series ..I like his slow easy style of teaching..

User Info Menu

For beginners? Would any of these be a good fit for someone that is not an intermediate guitar player?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Namelyguitar
    For beginners? Would any of these be a good fit for someone that is not an intermediate guitar player?
    You might want to check out Frank Vignola's Truefire channel (subscription $10 a month). He has a whole section for beginner's.

User Info Menu

Oooooh, did you all see this in your email inbox from TrueFire:

I bought Henry Johnson and Sheryl Baily's Trading Solos--I think it's an interesting idea. I learned more from these courses than most of the other stuff I have from Truefire.

That said, Barry Greene's only Truefire course might be the best find for jazz on Truefire:

On Mike's Masterclasses, Steve Herberman can't be beat:

User Info Menu

Jake Reichbart has a rich catalog of lessons. Many of them are on a single tune, but even with them you can learn a lot of stuff to generalize to other tunes. He also has DVDs on theory and technique.

He has a ton of knowledge, and doing his lessons is like sipping from a fire hose. They take time.

Many other courses give bite sized servings to practice. The student feels good because these are easy to achieve. Jake's are not. They are deep and require full attention and integration into your playing.

I have been doing JamPlay lessons for some time. They are very decent and are not stressful. Conti's are also well structured and will push you along. Guitar College is excellent also. Jake's are very rich and challenging. Everyone should try at least one. It is essential to be humbled from time to time if we are to grow.

Jake Reichbart - Jazz guitarist, Guitar lessons, Fingerstyle guitar arrangements

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    You might want to check out Frank Vignola's Truefire channel (subscription $10 a month). He has a whole section for beginner's.

Took some time before this came up.... Frank's Jazz Studio channel is a great resource that he keeps adding to every month - highly recommended!

User Info Menu

I like Frank Vignola's video style; I've been a member of the jazz studio since it started and I have probably purchased a dozen it so of his dedicated courses over the years. Even though he doesn't play 7 string I have found his content very easy to learn, use and adapt for the 7. He's been my go-to since I relocated and lost my 7 string teacher. I haven't done a private lesson with him yet, but Mark Rhodes has had a good experience. Just my opinion.