Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

I’m trying to learn to play jazz but I’m lacking direction and focus. I think I need a teacher. I’d appreciate any tips and recommendations on teachers who gives private lessons online. I have an OK grasp of music theory but can’t really make music. I need to work on time feel and well... not just playing notes.
    Last edited by Peterson; 05-27-2019 at 10:28 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Terrific jazz guitar scholar, recently retired from UNT.

Fred Hamilton: Private Lessons

You may also want to check out Artistworks.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    I’m trying to learn to play jazz but I’m lacking direction and focus. I think I need a teacher. I’d appreciate any tips and recommendations on teachers who gives private lessons online. I have an OK grasp of music theory but can’t really make music. I need to work on time feel and well... not just playing notes. Here’s me practising Yardbird Suite, so you get an idea of where I’m at.
    Send me a PM and I will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Hi Peterson,

I recommend the online youtube videos made by Sandra Sherman. I am a beginner of jazz guitar and I find her videos easy to understand. These are no private online lessons, but they are very close to this. I started her lessons with the jazz standard Autumn Leaves and Sandra is showing all the songs in her youtube channel in detail, so it is easy to follow and to learn. There are also lessons for combing and soloing.

Have fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson View Post
    I’m trying to learn to play jazz but I’m lacking direction and focus. I think I need a teacher. I’d appreciate any tips and recommendations on teachers who gives private lessons online. I have an OK grasp of music theory but can’t really make music. I need to work on time feel and well... not just playing notes.
    Are there no teachers in your area? I'd start there first ..

Which living player do you like right now, and have you checked with him/her about lessons? [as we know, though, not all good players are good teachers, so make sure they can teach!]

For one-on-one, online lessons (as opposed to the online video "schools" -- which can also be quite helpful!), I've had the best help with Chris Crocco; although he works on some pretty advanced stuff, he has students at all levels. Highly recommended!

Marc

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola at TrueFire is great.
    He's a world-class player, still gigging heavy and recording too.
    He has a channel at TrueFire that cost $5 a month when I joined. (It may be $10 a month for new students, I don't know.)

Frank stresses the learning of tunes and also jamming.
    He has a beginners section, a chord melody section, an improv section, a song section. (He teaches HOW he learns tunes as well as this and that particular one.)

It's a remarkable deal. There is a wealth of material there now and he adds more every month.
    He offers private lessons too, which are a good deal because it's not just one-and-done. You send him something and he sends you a video back, giving you something to work on. When you get that ready---it may take a day, a week, a month, whatever it takes---you send a new video and when you're both satisified the lesson is done. It's remarkable that such a great and busy player is so giving of his time with online students.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola