Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I did lessons on the first 6 lessons in the Mickey Baker book, and I was wondering if anyone feels they would benefit from me going through the single note stuff in that book. Let me know. I really enjoy teaching, but it takes time and I'd like to know at least 1 person would be interested haha. Maybe just like this post if you'd be interested.
    White belt
    My Youtube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    I did lessons on the first 6 lessons in the Mickey Baker book, and I was wondering if anyone feels they would benefit from me going through the single note stuff in that book. Let me know. I really enjoy teaching, but it takes time and I'd like to know at least 1 person would be interested haha. Maybe just like this post if you'd be interested.

Yep - another book I never got to the end of...

just checked, got to lesson 39.

It's just a great book. No one talks about book 2, but I would venture to say it is equally as good.
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I keep that book around. I use some of the single-line stuff to this day. It's good stuff.

Never got far in to volume 2.

I'd be interested.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 04-19-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

the opening of book 2 scares people with those stretches, but you should check out the little solo guitar arrangements
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    the opening of book 2 scares people with those stretches, but you should check out the little solo guitar arrangements
    I have medium-small hands and can't make those stretches.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

I was using the book with one of my students today. She is working on Lessons 2 and 3 in the first part, and the first few pages of the second part. I showed her how the arpeggios she is learning will be put to use in the first Blues head in Lesson 31. I made a video of those Blues heads a few years back - they make really good heads.

So, yes, do make the effort, Joe, and I'll suggest she has a look at it, which we can then discuss in our lessons. I look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    I was using the book with one of my students today. She is working on Lessons 2 and 3 in the first part, and the first few pages of the second part. I showed her how the arpeggios she is learning will be put to use in the first Blues head in Lesson 31. I made a video of those Blues heads a few years back - they make really good heads.

So, yes, do make the effort, Joe, and I'll suggest she has a look at it, which we can then discuss in our lessons. I look forward to it.
    Cool, Rob. Here's a link to the first 6 lessons I did. I'll probably do part two soloing stuff tonight. I think it's just picking exercises, but might as well take it from the top

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...k-xNT5srNYEchG
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    I agree, Rob. They are really good heads. One day years back I was playing, from memory, the "blues solo" (page 39, IIRC) and then went into "I'm Just A Lucky So-And-So". That solo makes a great intro!
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I loved the Mickey Baker book. I started with the first part (chords), and it was like my guitar had transformed into a completely new instrument! For some reason I never got around to the single-line lessons; your lessons may be just what I need to get started again.

Mickey Baker lessons
    here’s a link to the page where i’ll post them. The first one turned out to be an introduction to economy picking. Mickey suggests strict alternate picking, but I took the liberty of interjecting my opinion on the matter
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I've been hacking around with guitars for a long time. I play with my fingers. I just pulled out this book again and am wondering if it's necessary/recommended I start using a pick? What are the advantages of using a pick?

Quote Originally Posted by max52 View Post
    I've been hacking around with guitars for a long time. I play with my fingers. I just pulled out this book again and am wondering if it's necessary/recommended I start using a pick? What are the advantages of using a pick?
    I don't think anyone can answer that for you (although they will try). I will say check out chords # 6 and 7 and see if that presents any problems.

White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

I was accomplished finger player, I first got a pick when was way over 20 I think already.... when you have accomplished finger technique I guess you will always feel that you miss something when you grab a pick even wehn you get fluid with a pick.

But still there are some things that I really love about playing with a pick on steel string guitars: some tone subtleties, specific strumings, and in general pick-only playing styles when you have very special texture

I think there is definitely difference and playing with a pick (or like thumb-picking) can lead you into some technical things in a more natural way than playing with just fingers...

Sorry joe for going a bit off-top in your thread...

As for these books - many tradition chord shapes used in jazz are developed in a way that one could mute strings with left-hand while strumming... it comes mostly from playing with a pick too,

I tried to thumb-pick to combine both... but it feel too awkward. And all teh thumb picks I tried were much worse quality than regular picks I use.

I wish I could have a pick 'glued' to a thumb or index finger like John Stowell but it seems obly he can do it.

User Info Menu

Max52,
    I just want to point out that Michael Joyce, who wrote a wonderful companion website for the Mickey Baker book many years ago, was exclusively a finger style player. Apparently he didn't have any problem.

I went finger style only about a year ago and don't have a problem with anything except for the picking exercises in Mick Baker's book (I have a problem playing guitar in general ). You don't have to play every note in those big chords or you could break the chord up by hitting the bass note then pluck the rest of the chord. You have to get creative and find work arounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue View Post
    Max52,
    I just want to point out that Michael Joyce, who wrote a wonderful companion website for the Mickey Baker book many years ago, was exclusively a finger style player. Apparently he didn't have any problem.

I went finger style only about a year ago and don't have a problem with anything except for the picking exercises in Mick Baker's book (I have a problem playing guitar in general ). You don't have to play every note in those big chords or you could break the chord up by hitting the bass note then pluck the rest of the chord. You have to get creative and find work arounds.
    Yes...I find at this point..very early in the book..I can play the chords with more clarity using my fingers. and like you say sometimes, but not often, a note is not played.That being said i'm practicing with a pick as well. It's a different sound, more suitable to some songs.