The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I checked the net and chord book but can't find anything on it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

X Bb F Bb C F

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sus means suspended... the thing being suspended is the third (either major or minor third), and the way "suspended" is used here it means "moved or replaced" by something else... either the four or the two.

If the third is moved up or replaced to be a four, it is sus4.
    If it is moved down or replaced to be a 2, it is sus2.

Sus means there is no longer a third, it has been moved or replaced. Since sus chords don't have a third, they are not major or minor... this means you may use a sus version of a chord to replace either of its major or minor chord types. So if the chord is supposed to be A major you can play Asus2, if A minor you can play Asus2, and if you forget if the A chord is supposed to be major or minor you can always just play Asus2.

Asus2 - x02200

Bbsus2 - x13311

Csus2 - x3x033

Dsus2 - xx0230

Esus2 - 024400 (slightly harder but worth it is 022452)

Fsus2 - 1xx011 (may be easier x33011 and just play the C on the bottom if you want)

Gsus2 - 3x023x

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Now I know the chord.
    But another question.
    If I use that chord , would an F bar chord sound out of place following it?

User Info Menu

No, not at all.

if Bbsus2 is a I chord then F is a V chord

if Bbsus2 is a IV chord then F is a I chord

Both extremely common root progressions. The sus2 does nothing to change this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    No, not at all.

if Bbsus2 is a I chord then F is a V chord

if Bbsus2 is a IV chord then F is a I chord

Both extremely common root progressions. The sus2 does nothing to change this.
    Thanks bako
    The reason I asked this when I was playing the Bbsus2 at the 2nd fret (wrong fret position) and it sounded funny or out of place, then I went back to where the other poster had it on the first fret. Yes, funny indeed. But after getting it right, it sounded pretty cool.
    The chord progression I'm working on is this:

C C Am Am
    C C Am Am
    Bbsus2 Bbsus2 F F
    C Bbsus2 F F

Question now, for the Bbsus2 chord, what notes should I use to do a lead in, can I do "sliding" into them notes?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi
    Thanks bako
    The reason I asked this when I was playing the Bbsus2 at the 2nd fret (wrong fret position) and it sounded funny or out of place, then I went back to where the other poster had it on the first fret. Yes, funny indeed. But after getting it right, it sounded pretty cool.
    The chord progression I'm working on is this:

C C Am Am
    C C Am Am
    Bbsus2 Bbsus2 F F
    C Bbsus2 F F

Question now, for the Bbsus2 chord, what notes should I use to do a lead in, can I do "sliding" into them notes?
    When moving from Am to Bbsus2 you’re raising the root and fifth of the Am chord by 1 fret while the third stays where it is. There’s nothing wrong with sliding those notes. It can sound especially nice if you can make the chord change while sustaining the other note (C).

Also, note that Bbsus2 has the same notes as Fsus4. When making that chord change only one note moves (Bb to A). If you can manage to slide that note down while sustaining the other two, go for it.

Try playing that Bb as a major chord, then a minor. Sounds good as a major and bad as a minor. So I think of it as Bbmajor9 (since 9 is 2 raised an octave).
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-02-2019 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Try playing that Bb as a major chord, then a minor. Sounds good as a major and bad as a minor. So I think of it as Bbmajor9 (since 9 is 2 raised an octave).
    A variation on the sus2 chord is the add2, namely a sus2 including the third. This sounds cool in major or minor versions:

Bb Major (add 2): xx3536
    Bb minor (add 2): xx3526

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    A variation on the sus2 chord is the add2, namely a sus2 including the third. This sounds cool in major or minor versions:

Moo!

What tune is this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Moo!
    Mu to you too! Did Fagen use minor add 2 chords, as well?

User Info Menu

I should have said Major (add 2) instead of Major 9th in my previous post. I tend to think of them as interchangeable, but strictly speaking the latter adds a Major 7th. That added note seems to work in that progression though.

These seem like chords from a folk or pop tune, but I’m just guessing. How I’d play them would depend on the melody, rhythm, etc.
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-02-2019 at 05:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I know that no so long ago, all CCM songs seems to have sus2 chord in abundance. I don't know if that is still true, not my tribe

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    What tune is this?
    The reason I ask is that these are usually a particularly specific ACOUSTIC guitar type of VOICING - more than actual "chords". Most of the time, these may as well be add9 chords. It's simply suiting the limitations of voicing open chords on guitar
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 04-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I know that no so long ago, all CCM songs seems to have sus2 chord in abundance. I don't know if that is still true, not my tribe
    Definitely still true.
    Shows up in rock, A LOT, which is why it is found in CCM.
    The aggravating thing is that many of the chord charts list these chords as "sus," with no number.
    There IS a difference, sus2 vs. sus4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    When moving from Am to Bbsus2 you’re raising the root and fifth of the Am chord by 1 fret while the third stays where it is. There’s nothing wrong with sliding those notes. It can sound especially nice if you can make the chord change while sustaining the other note (C).

Also, note that Bbsus2 has the same notes as Fsus4. When making that chord change only one note moves (Bb to A). If you can manage to slide that note down while sustaining the other two, go for it.

OK, I'm going to try it and see how it sounds. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks
    Definitely still true.
    Shows up in rock, A LOT, which is why it is found in CCM.
    The aggravating thing is that many of the chord charts list these chords as "sus," with no number.
    There IS a difference, sus2 vs. sus4.
    Sus usually indicates sus4. Some theory folks nitpick and say that sus 4 are the only "real suspended" chords... It's a pretty easily understood shorthand though, especially useful in certain guitar music.

User Info Menu

I'm glad I posted this. Learning a lot from you guys.

User Info Menu

Nice Bb add 2 voicing,

X5856X, or 558565 gives you the maj 7th...sounds good either way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Nice Bb add 2 voicing,

X5856X, or 558565 gives you the maj 7th...sounds good either way.
    Thanks, I'll try that now.

User Info Menu

Sus usually indicates sus4. Some theory folks nitpick and say that sus 4 are the only "real suspended" chords... It's a pretty easily understood shorthand though, especially useful in certain guitar music.
    OK, after experimenting a bit, the Bbsus2 chord with a melody chord note on it really brings out the chord.
    My question now from the theory point, does this enlighten the chord progression or is it just natural for it to sound "dominant". Don't know.

User Info Menu

Well thanks matt. I got something soon to post that I recorded, but I might just send a pm to those that posted on this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi
    OK, after experimenting a bit, the Bbsus2 chord with a melody chord note on it really brings out the chord.
    My question now from the theory point, does this enlighten the chord progression or is it just natural for it to sound "dominant". Don't know.
    What do you mean by enlighten?

To me, a sus2 is an alternative to a major triad. Are major triads tonic, dominant or subdominant? Yes!

User Info Menu

What do you mean by enlighten?

To me, a sus2 is an alternative to a major triad. Are major triads tonic, dominant or subdominant? Yes!
    Thanks for your explanation BDLH.
    What I was more or less saying is the the chord tone note of Bb gives it a more powerful balance when throwing in a lead melody at the same time.
    I got the recording done now and I'll send it to you with an explanation.
    Again , thank you.