The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I ask, because I'm looking for something new to transcribe. As I learn to play, I'm now understanding my blues is pretty weak, so I'm going to go back there and start. I'm sure there's lots of good stuff(online lessons, etc) about blues, etc, but I've been doing well with transcribing, so I'd love to hear what people like.

And it doesn't have to be a guitar, it can certainly be horns, but let's not go crazy and talk about Coltrane just yet.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Billies
    SKJ
    Lews piece
    Blues n boogie
    West Coast
    Pent up House
    Most Bop tubes are just Blues with an interlude
    Blue Monk
    Tenor Madness
    Straight no chaiser
    Watermellon Man
    Bags Groove
    Au Privave
    Blues in the Closet
    Freddie the freeloader
    Fright Train
    Relaxin at Camarillo
    Nows the Time
    Route 66
    Chitlins con carne
    Sandu
    Blues walk
    Cool Blues
    Blues by Five
    moanin
    Cookin at the Continenal
    Blowin away the Blues
    Work song
    The Preacher
    Doodlin
    Barbados
    Speedball
    Filthy McNasty

There are many more. I'm just trying to remember what i've played at gigs in the last month

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Billies
    SKJ
    Lews piece
    Blues n boogie
    West Coast
    Pent up House
    Most Bop tubes are just Blues with an interlude
    Blue Monk
    Tenor Madness
    Straight no chaiser
    Watermellon Man
    Bags Groove
    Au Privave
    Blues in the Closet
    Freddie the freeloader
    Fright Train
    Relaxin at Camarillo
    Nows the Time
    Route 66
    Chitlins con carne
    Sandu
    Blues walk
    Cool Blues
    Blues by Five
    moanin
    Cookin at the Continenal
    Blowin away the Blues
    Work song
    The Preacher
    Doodlin
    Barbados
    Speedball
    Filthy McNasty

There are many more. I'm just trying to remember what i've played at gigs in the last month
    I'll add a few:

Walkin'
    All Blues
    Things Ain't What They Used to Be
    Back at the Chicken Shack
    Sonnymoon for Two
    Wave (can be thought of as a blues with a bridge)
    Bessie's Blues
    Turnaround
    Organ Grinder's Swing
    Blues for Pat (Josh Redmond/Pat Metheny; not "popular" but a great blues to learn)
    Stormy Monday (there are instrumental versions, and it's a good variant on the blues form to know)
    Blues in the Night
    Every Kenny Burrell recording

Also, check out singers, especially "shouters" like Big Joe Turner, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, plus jump blues artists like Louie Jordan, Dinah Washington, Slim and Slam, and some of the blues blues guys, especially BB King, especially Live at the Regal. Sing in order to get the real feel of blues, cop some BB licks, and you're more than half-way there. T-Bone Walker, too.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 03-28-2019 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Passport Blues!

User Info Menu

I don't know if these chord progression has an actual title since I received it 30 years ago, but I have always found it to be a fun blues tune to play;

A:
    Bb6 \ Eb7, Edim \ Dm7, G7 \ Cm7 F7

Bb6 \ Eb7, Edim \ Bb6 \ Bb6

(repeat A)

B:

D7 \ D7 \ G7 \ G7

C7 \ C7 \ F7\ F7

(repeat A).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I don't know if these chord progression has an actual title since I received it 30 years ago, but I have always found it to be a fun blues tune to play;

A:
    Bb6 \ Eb7, Edim \ Dm7, G7 \ Cm7 F7

Bb6 \ Eb7, Edim \ Bb6 \ Bb6

(repeat A)

B:

D7 \ D7 \ G7 \ G7

C7 \ C7 \ F7\ F7

(repeat A).
    Where is that from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Where is that from?
    Sorry Mark but like I said I got the progression many years ago. I believe my guitar teacher at the time gave me this chord progression as part of my lesson related to a blues tune that starts and ends on a Major-6 chord instead of the standard Idom7 or Im7 chord. He got it from a Herb Ellis album and I placed the chords in Band In the Box and now that is all I have; a chord progression. (I have my own melody for the tune since I have no idea what Herb's melody was). Of course the 'B' section is very basic and found in many blues tunes.

I do like that the 'A' section is different and one can use additional scales\scale tones instead of just the blues, minor pentatonic, or mixolydian scales. (as well as that half-step movement to the Eb7 and Edim7, which I know he showed me because I'm really into Jobin and saw that this was something he used a lot in his songs,,, and here it is in a blues).

User Info Menu

Alligator Boogaloo
    Mr PC
    Freddie Freeloader
    Blue Train
    Sister Sadie
    Cousin Mary

User Info Menu

Yea the changes above is a Bop form... A A B A... many versions of....

It's pretty easy... or should become to play any of the above tune.... the heads are what makes them... the heads defines how and what changes you play... If you get your sight reading together.... they're all pretty easy. I know most of the heads... but they can all blend together....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Sorry Mark but like I said I got the progression many years ago. I believe my guitar teacher at the time gave me this chord progression as part of my lesson related to a blues tune that starts and ends on a Major-6 chord instead of the standard Idom7 or Im7 chord. He got it from a Herb Ellis album and I placed the chords in Band In the Box and now that is all I have; a chord progression. .
    Got it. I think starting on the 6 chord is a good idea. I hate using a Maj7 as a I chord in a Bird blues. It doesn't sound right to me. I much prefer the 6 as a major chord in jazz.

I agree with what Jason Lyons writes here: You’ve Been Taught the Wrong Chord Tones | Jason Lyon on Music

The other thing is that this is an 8-bar blues, not a 12. I know some eight bar blues---Key to the Highway, Trouble In Mind, Ain't Nobody's Business, Sittin' On Top of the World---but not many 8 bar blues with a bridge...
    I'm sure when I realize what it is I'll go "Doh!" but for now, I'm stumped.

User Info Menu

Got it. I think starting on the 6 chord is a good idea. I hate using a Maj7 as a I chord in a Bird blues. It doesn't sound right to me. I much prefer the 6 as a major chord in jazz.

I agree with what Jason Lyons writes here: You’ve Been Taught the Wrong Chord Tones | Jason Lyon on Music

The other thing is that this is an 8-bar blues, not a 12. I know some eight bar blues---Key to the Highway, Trouble In Mind, Ain't Nobody's Business, Sittin' On Top of the World---but not many 8 bar blues with a bridge...
    I'm sure when I realize what it is I'll go "Doh!" but for now, I'm stumped.
    Ha! I know Jason. He's a funny cat.

I agree with the article.

User Info Menu

If you are delving into blues give yourself a treat and try a couple of Ted Greene ideas -

TedGreene.com - Teachings - Blues

Tim Lerch playing a couple of Ted's ideas -

Will

User Info Menu

My current personal favourite to play -Frame for the Blues - Ed Cherry and Ben Paterson

Will

User Info Menu

This is an old but still vital one.
    Bix Beiderbecke played it. Louis Armstrong played it. Charlie Christian played it. The Original Dixieland Band played it. Count Basie and Duke Ellington played it. Here is Herb Ellis (with Roy Eldridge on trumpet and Stan Getz on tenor sax).

User Info Menu

Louis Armstrong played it
    I've gone back and pulled out some of my older Louis Armstrong stuff, and really, there's no better place to start I think than looking at what(and how) Louis plays.

Edit: btw - that entire Herb Ellis album is pretty damn good. I'm gonna have to put that on the list.
    Last edited by Bahnzo; 04-01-2019 at 01:03 AM.

User Info Menu

You’ve Been Taught the Wrong Chord Tones | Jason Lyon on Music

That's not true. Nobody teaches us, we take what we like and use it. Fact is, sometimes a M7 sounds better, sometimes a 6 sounds better. Depends on the tune and depends where in the tune it's played.

But I agree with this bit :-)

So don’t believe everything you hear from teachers (including me).

User Info Menu

This is an old but still vital one.
    Bix Beiderbecke played it. Louis Armstrong played it. Charlie Christian played it. The Original Dixieland Band played it. Count Basie and Duke Ellington played it. Here is Herb Ellis (with Roy Eldridge on trumpet and Stan Getz on tenor sax).

Oh nice. Always liked this tune.

Don’t forget the John Kirby version. Hip af.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Edit: btw - that entire Herb Ellis album is pretty damn good. I'm gonna have to put that on the list.
    It is. That and "Ellis In Wonderland" are my two favorite recordings of his. (I like a bunch more but those two are standouts for me.)

User Info Menu

West End Blues by Armstrong
    Route 66 by Nat King Cole
    Now‘ s the Time and Blues for Alice by Parker
    God Bless the Child by Billie Holiday (not exactly, but close).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    My current personal favourite to play -Frame for the Blues - Ed Cherry and Ben Paterson

Will
    I came back to this thread to read some more (because I just finished Freddie Freeloader) and I have to admit, this is a f-ing good tune...all around. I'm always amazed at how many great musicians are out there that we (I, really) don't hear about.