The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Just picked this up. Does it look like a fake?

Is this a fake Gibson?-20190301_232904-jpgIs this a fake Gibson?-20190301_212038-jpg

Is this a fake Gibson?-20190301_232904-jpgIs this a fake Gibson?-20190301_212038-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Only one picture of the guitar, but it looks legit to me, based on that one pic.

Why do you suspect a fake?

User Info Menu

Gold hardware 175 are not as common, but I also think it looks legit

User Info Menu

What about the "keys" on the tuners? they look like some kind of pearlish/pearloid stuff. But older 175s have the dull whitish color, new ones are nickel/chrome. The gold hardware is suspicious to me.

Might be a 175 that has had a total face-lift to gold hardware because the first owner liked that? If so, I'd ask if the pickups are original? Just gold covers? Is the tailpiece pot-metal or of original quality. Are the tuners equivalent to the originals?

User Info Menu

Is there any way to check the Serial Number with Gibson to see if the specs match the guitar that you have?

Also, isn't there supposed to be a date on the inside tag stating the year the guitar was built?

User Info Menu

That serial number is unrecognized by:
    The Guitar Dater Project - Gibson Serial Number Decoder

User Info Menu

Gibson's I own have orange stickers. When did Gibson put white stickers in ES 175's?

User Info Menu

There should also be engraved serial number on the back of the headstock.

User Info Menu

Photo of the guitar is pretty lo-res

initial gut response

1. colour a pinch too cherry-ish?
    2. Tulip Tuners + gold posts never seen that ever
    3. The placement of vol + tone knobs is not right hard to tell as the guitar is not level( head dips)
    4. I have not seen a Gold Tailpiece like that, L4 is gold but not like that.
    5. Pickguard shape is not quite it close. but could be the deliberate lo-res photos
    6. 1st post scouting/Reconnaissance mission on what is detectable
    7. Headstock serial number

again i cant help thinking why one lo-res photo no Headstock as telltale signs is headstock and all that goes with it etc etc

Those Goldtail pieces are rare (i stand to correction)

User Info Menu

My experience is pretty good but certainly not up to what others here possess, but I've never seen a label like that one on an ES175 ever. Online I have found maybe 2 guitars with the white label "GibsonUSA" and model: ES175, but they are not common. Maybe it was a very brief run?

Here are more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this a fake Gibson?-20190308_170203-jpg Is this a fake Gibson?-20190308_170233-jpg Is this a fake Gibson?-20190308_170057-jpg Is this a fake Gibson?-20190308_170044-jpg 

The guy I bought it from says he got it from the original owner. Serial dates back to year 2000. Serial number on tag,headstock, and inside the guitar all match. Case says Gibson and is high quality.

User Info Menu

OK, it's legit. I also found a matching label on a 2003 ES 175 (one of the pictures on the page):
    2003 Gibson ES-175 Aged Electric Guitar | Guitar Chimp

Enjoy, you got yourself a great guitar.

Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Same here. I'm convinced now. The gold hardware is still a curiosity. It was standard on the ES775 and the L4ces...I think, but I never saw it on an ES175.

So it must be a special instrument! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Same here. I'm convinced now. The gold hardware is still a curiosity. It was standard on the ES775 and the L4ces...I think, but I never saw it on an ES175.

So it must be a special instrument! Enjoy!
    Yeah, it's rare but they did make ES 175 with gold hardware in some years:
    Gibson ES-175

User Info Menu

Hi Jazzyblues far better photos,

I think someone installed gold pup or covers and gold tailpiece, ( which i have yet to see)

ive seen several fakes, and unless one knows, could initially be fooled, i am certain it is a not fake, just some unusual appointments.

Its always worth checking, although labels and documents can easily be created and the Chinese apparently can make hi quality cases.

Here is yours
    Your guitar was made at the
    Nashville Plant, TN, USA
    on December 4th, 2000
    Production Number: 203

Enjoy and relax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    I think someone installed gold pup or covers and gold tailpiece, ( which i have yet to see)
    Like I said above Gibson did make ES 175's with gold hardware. A quick search for Gibson ES 175 2000 reveals several gold hardware models:
    2000 Gibson ES-175 | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Like I said above Gibson did make ES 175's with gold hardware. A quick search for Gibson ES 175 2000 reveals several gold hardware models:
    2000 Gibson ES-175 | Reverb
    Q.E.D.

Here's another. Must have been a 2000-ish thing? Yikes this is the OP's very guitar!

Gibson Es-175 2000 Vintage Sunburst | Reverb

I can't wait to start learning jazz stuff from the real book on it. It plays great and I've always wanted an es175, theres no escaping the shape! I should have done it a long time ago, but there was always something un the way.......