The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redbeard
    [..] I need to really know the fretboard [..]
    Already said, but "repetition is the pedagogy".
    For working the fretboard, a good exercice is to play solos on one string.
    After on two strings, B and e , e and G,...
    I do again this exercice, I think it helps to open the mind.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redbeard
    Thanks for the advice Bass2man. Now back to showing my ignorance. Can you explain in laymans terms what drop 2 and drop 3 means?? That is a term I've never heard in playing blues/rock.
    Guitar Lesson World: Lesson 43 - Drop 2 Voicings

and

http://www.chrisgrey.com/blockchords.htm
    Last edited by randalljazz; 12-11-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: and

User Info Menu

Thanks Randalljazz.....I was going to try and explain what Drop 2 chords are but its a lot easier to show than explain. I an glad you found those links for Redbeard!!

Essentially you are taking the inversions of a chord, dropping the second note from top and putting it as the frist note of the inversion. This makes the inversions "guitar friendly" so you can finger the chords. Unlike a piano, we have more than one middle C...so using Drop 2 voicings are useful.

You probably already are using some Drop 2 voicings...the Am7 "Cowboy" chord is a Drop 2 voicing...

Most of the Drop 2 voicings are really useful when you start playing Chord Melody style and need to have a melody note on the top string.

User Info Menu

Thanks Randalljazz and bass2man for the links and info. Ive only been on this forum for a few days and I've been amazed at the amount of info I've acquired. This is a great site!!!

User Info Menu

I am a newbie and what worked for me was remembering the notes on the 3rd, 5th, 7th and ninth frets. The others you can fill in, remembering B&C and E&F are half step apart(Next to each other)

User Info Menu

Try learning the scale degrees. Numbers make more sense to me intuitively than letters and pound signs. From your chord knowledge you probably already know all of the 1-3-5 combinations. So if you memorize every location of a particular 1, then the 3 and 5 start to fit together. I made a tool to help me learn this stuff and I decided to make a website about it. You can see what I mean and download everything for free here

User Info Menu

Dunno if it's already been said, but in addition to simply learning the note names for each string/fret on the guitar, I've found I'm much more comfortable playing and using different voicings since really hammering home which pitches are repeated on the guitar (e.g. find every middle C on your guitar, then every F in the octave above middle C on your guitar, and so on). Listen to the difference in timbre, compare different voicings you use - are any of the notes the same pitch in each voicing?, play a C major descending scale while moving up the neck, and so on.

As a rock/blues guitarist coming to jazz, I've found that rock/blues guitarists too easily think "up the neck = up in pitch" when it isn't necessarily so. I'm still getting to grips with being fluid in using this, but found it really connected me to my instrument and opened things up a lot for me. The guitar suddenly "made sense" more like a piano does once I thought about it this way and tired it out.

I don't know who advocates this method particularly, it's just something I came across myself through contemplating the structure of the guitar. It's probably well espoused, tho.