The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 268 of 268
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I would definitely say live lessons too but you said there weren't any!
    There is one group lesson available.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis
    There is one group lesson available.
    Okay, so what now? You're really not going to learn much online. Too many teachers all telling you different stuff. Everybody wants to be a teacher.

I learnt from a book when I was 7. It showed you chords and simple tunes. In a year I was playing tunes from music and it went from there.

Teaching must be structured and progressive. Or one teaches oneself. So what are you going to do?

Also a small i is minor and a big I is major.
    Mostly. Classical analysis uses this convention.

In the back of your mind, be ready to see different conventions often used by jazzers. Someof these are regional/national etc...

Some jazz players consider the lower case thing old fashioned. They would typically write things differently.

ii7 V7 IM7 could be written as II-7 V7 Imaj7, and is more standard with US pros maybe?

None of this is hugely important right now. Don't even think about it, but keep in the back of your mind, if something like that pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Okay, so what now? You're really not going to learn much online. Too many teachers all telling you different stuff. Everybody wants to be a teacher.

I learnt from a book when I was 7. It showed you chords and simple tunes. In a year I was playing tunes from music and it went from there.

Teaching must be structured and progressive. Or one teaches oneself. So what are you going to do?
    I am planning to go to a teacher. But I will also learn stuff home. Because it is only one lesson that is 30 minutes per week.

I am trying to learn fly me to the moon since somone suggested I should learn songs.. There is a Am in it. How do I play it? I guess the cowboy way xx221x is wrong. How am I supposed to play it?

User Info Menu

I am trying to learn fly me to the moon since somone suggested I should learn songs.. There is a Am in it. How do I play it? I guess the cowboy way xx221x is wrong. How am I supposed to play it?
    use the same shell voicings you used for Autumn leaves. The Am is Am7

sorry if you don't like this question. Is there any reason why I am not learnt to play for example dm7 x5x56x instead of x535x. I like the sound of the first one more.

User Info Menu

sorry if you don't like this question. Is there any reason why I am not learnt to play for example dm7 x5x56x instead of x535x. I like the sound of the first one more.
    that voicing is correct, but the second one will be better to use for the time being because you will be creating correct voiceleading (the top notes stay on the D and G string but the bass string changes)

okay I will just use the old one it works good.

Good news: Me and two of my friends will start a band (They know how to play). One of them has played guitar for 2 years and the other one is gonna play bass and he is pretty good at it, he can also play drums but we don't have any drums so we will use a computer software with speakers for drums..

The shell m6 voicings is basically the same as diminished , because it doesn't have the fifth. An easy way to learn these is by doing the Mickey Baker m7 - m6 thing. So when you have extended Am chord, you can play 5X55XX
    5X45XX
    5X55XX

There are a other ways you could describe this kind of movement, but it's a shape which is good to know as well.

I guess from here on I Will learn songs, practice ear training, scales and chords. And later on I will start writing my own songs.

User Info Menu

I guess from here on I Will learn songs, practice ear training, scales and chords. And later on I will start writing my own songs.
    Sounds good to me. Basically if you keep what you are working on rooted around songs and music, you can't go wrong.

The challenges you encounter will then have a purpose to them.

Writing music can be a good way to stretch your skills. I am forever writing music I find difficult to play! But I grow from learning to play it.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.

User Info Menu

This is like watching a lesson in real time, but through someone transcribing it. Brings a tear to my eye.

User Info Menu

When I was learning theory, one of my light bulb moments came when I realized that learning the intervals on all six strings of the same fret could help me more quickly form chords and realize intervals in scales.

From 6th string to 1st:

1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    When I was learning theory, one of my light bulb moments came when I realized that learning the intervals on all six strings of the same fret could help me more quickly form chords and realize intervals in scales.

From 6th string to 1st:

1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

etc.
    I started looking at the fret board this way a few months ago. I agree, it was a real "aha" moment for me also. It's been very helpful in figuring out chords.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag

From 6th string to 1st:

1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

etc.
    I really dont understand what you mean. Probably because I am not the best at English. What do you mean by learning the intervall on all six strings on the same fret? The interval betsen for example fret 1 on all strings or what?

User Info Menu

It shows the intervals relative to the root, going across the fretboard at any given fret position (or across the open strings).

So with root on 6th string described as 1, the 5th string is a 4th, the 4th string is a b7, and so on. E.g. at the 3rd fret, from 6th string to 1st the notes are G, C, F, Bb, D, G. Which = root, 4, b7, minor 3rd, 5, 1 (tonic).

Then repeat with root on the 5th string. This gives the intervals 5, 1 (root), 4, b7, 9, 5. And so on.

Useful fretboard knowledge.

Here is my first performance live
    . I was the comp guitarist with the hat not the solo guitarist. I was nervous but it was fun