This
    8x88xx
    X878xx
    6x77xx
    x657xx
    5x55xx
    x545xx
    3x33xx
    is correct for Cm7, F7, Bbmaj7, Ebmaj7, Am7b5, D7 and Gm7 right?

You got it!

and % in this case just means repeat the chord from the previous bar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis
    This
    8x88xx
    X878xx
    6x77xx
    x657xx
    5x55xx
    x545xx
    3x33xx
    is correct for Cm7, F7, Bbmaj7, Ebmaj7, Am7b5, D7 and Gm7 right?
    Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Good work!
    the biggest problem I have is that I get some fret buzz sometimes when I do the bar chord but I guess I just have to practice... Practicing right now

User Info Menu

the biggest problem I have is that I get some fret buzz sometimes when I do the bar chord but I guess I just have to practice... Practicing right now
    Don't do any bars.

Seperate finger for each note.

Don't do any bars.

Seperate finger for each note.
    even on stuff like 8x88xx? Isnt bar what you usally do on that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    you're christian's project, but individual fingers 100%.

and you should definitely use fingers 2,3 and 4 for that grip. in fact the pinky should stay on the g string for the whole progression. you use it as a sort of slider.
    If I would do 8x888x how should I play that without a bar? I dont have any finger left to mute the a string if I play individual fingers.

User Info Menu

even on stuff like 8x88xx? Isnt bar what you usally do on that stuff?
    No, I use 1 2 3 or 2 3 4 depending.

User Info Menu

2 3 and 4 like djg says is probably better (it's how Peter Bernstein does it - HE plays these voicings... :-))

User Info Menu

They're confusing you. If it's 8x888x then you use a bar using 2 and 3. If it's a shell-voicing - 8x88xx - then 2,3 & 4.

User Info Menu

Rag is correct. It's good to get into the habit of fingering only the notes you intend to play.

and that's pretty much all of theory you need to know for quite some time. try making lines now using only those moving thirds and sevenths. enjoy the simple beauty and logic of those lines.
    What do you mean by making lines? Sorry for benig dumb.

you're not dumb. at the speed you're going you'll be gigging a year from now

making lines: playing little improvisations. basically a guitar solo trying to be interesting just with the chord notes on the d and g string.
    Ohh okay.

User Info Menu

If you learn the shells Christian's showed you, then start having fun it'll sound like this...Bebop Chord Template: Demonstration - Sheryl Bailey - Guitar Lesson - TrueFire

You only get part way through the video before you get asked to sign up but you'll get the idea...

Sorry Christian, couldn't help it - I'm out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: pdf 3.pdf (371.8 KB, 103 views)

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    If you learn the shells Christian's showed you, then start having fun it'll sound like this...Bebop Chord Template: Demonstration - Sheryl Bailey - Guitar Lesson - TrueFire

You only get part way through the video before you get asked to sign up but you'll get the idea...

Sorry Christian, couldn't help it - I'm out.
    Too much of what too soon? Yeah I am trying to learn the shells good then I Will start having fun and playing songs with them. I cant practice right now because school is startijg soon. But when I get home I can practice 6 hours and then I Will probably know the shells perfectly and play with them.

alex, where are you located? is there a music school in your town? with the past boom of jazz schools in europe it is my experience that basically every music school has someone who has studied at one of the major jazz schools.
    it's certainly the case here in germany.
    I live in sweden. I dont think there is any jazz stuff here. There are som begginer guitar lessons and some a bit harder but nothing jazz related. I Will probably start at something like that for the fun.

alex, where are you located? is there a music school in your town? with the past boom of jazz schools in europe it is my experience that basically every music school has someone who has studied at one of the major jazz schools.
    it's certainly the case here in germany.
    This is what is open
    Prerequisites - We start with a playful learning. Then we listen and mimic. Later in the teaching includes both reading, hearing and technology. We also introduce the student to games in ensemble / band. The repertoire is classic, songs, pop, rock, jazz and singer-songwriter. No previous knowledge required. Unfortunately, we cannot rent guitar instruments at Västerås Kulturskola.
    1 place left.

there's jazz pretty much everywhere does your school offer anything? many schools have band projects or even a big band. maybe your parents could drive you to a good teacher once a month? i've been teaching for 25 years and it's my experience that parents are usually very supportive towards such musical activities.
    The thing I sent is the only thing here. Also some lessons where you learn stuff like major chords and beginner stuff.

there's jazz pretty much everywhere does your school offer anything? many schools have band projects or even a big band. maybe your parents could drive you to a good teacher once a month? i've been teaching for 25 years and it's my experience that parents are usually very supportive towards such musical activities.
    If you mean the school I go on there is nothing jazzrelated. I am going a normal school not a music school.

i understand. but most regular schools have some sort of school band and/or student rockbands.

and btw you live in a great place for jazz, dude! you even have europe's first jazz museum. a jazz festival with international guests, a jazz club. and not even an hour away from stockholm.

i'm thinking about moving, lol.
    My grandpa lives in Stockholm. I visites him sometimes. Even if there is jazz stuff in Stockholm there is nothing here. There are NO bands at my school.

User Info Menu

Sweden has a great jazz tradition.

One of my favourite bands of all time - EST - is Swedish.

Okay

this looks like a fun event where you can see local bands

Vasteras Jazz Storbandsfestival

this also looks cool:

Jazzens Vanner, Vasteras - Framjar jazzkulturen i Vasteras och i Malardalen

DIG Jazz

my swedish is non-existent but these jazz guitarists seem to be from your area:

Björn Leander: Gitarr
    Jan Eriksson-gitarr
    That festival is probably fun. And yeah these guitarists are probably from my area. I Will check them out.

this looks like a fun event where you can see local bands

Vasteras Jazz Storbandsfestival

this also looks cool:

Jazzens Vanner, Vasteras - Framjar jazzkulturen i Vasteras och i Malardalen

DIG Jazz

my swedish is non-existent but these jazz guitarists seem to be from your area:

Björn Leander: Gitarr
    Jan Eriksson-gitarr
    Hmmm. The tickets are Free up to age 14. I am 14 at that time so it is Free. I Will go there if I am able to.

Esbjörn Svensson Trio? Is it what it is called? I am gonna listen to it.

User Info Menu

Esbjörn Svensson Trio? Is it what it is called? I am gonna listen to it.
    That's the one - Seven Days of Falling is my favourite.