Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 301 to 326 of 326
  1. #301

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    For example in the key of Bb ii V I is C minor, F major and Bb major. Maybe not true but I am pretty sure.
    while the F chord is a major chord, it has a natural 7. so to avoid confusion call it F7

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    while the F chord is a major chord, it has a natural 7. so to avoid confusion call it F7
    Ohh okay.

  4. #303

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    I Will play it when I get home.
    good. also make hard-rock versions with powerchords in several keys. good for learning the fretboard.

  5. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    good. also make hard-rock versions with powerchords in several keys. good for learning the fretboard.
    Okay. So if I wanna play CGF power chords I play 35xxxx, 13xxxx and x35xxx?

  6. #305

    User Info Menu

    I would definitely say live lessons too but you said there weren't any!

  7. #306

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    Ohh okay.
    F7 is the V chord. it's "job" is to pull the listener back to the I chord. to be able to do that it has this interval called tritone. in our F7 chord these are A and Eb. you know them from your shell chords. A and Eb sound dissonant together, they want to resolve. thats why the V chord wants to move to the I chord. the tritone is the reason why anything in music moves at all.

    so the "function" of the V chord is to take the listener by the hand and point towards the I chord as the destination of the journey. the "function" of the I chord is to provide a "home" for the listener, a place where he can relax. the IV chord is basically the scenic route

  8. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I would definitely say live lessons too but you said there weren't any!
    There is one group lesson available.

  9. #308

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    There is one group lesson available.
    Okay, so what now? You're really not going to learn much online. Too many teachers all telling you different stuff. Everybody wants to be a teacher.

    I learnt from a book when I was 7. It showed you chords and simple tunes. In a year I was playing tunes from music and it went from there.

    Teaching must be structured and progressive. Or one teaches oneself. So what are you going to do?

  10. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    Also a small i is minor and a big I is major.
    Mostly. Classical analysis uses this convention.

    In the back of your mind, be ready to see different conventions often used by jazzers. Someof these are regional/national etc...

    Some jazz players consider the lower case thing old fashioned. They would typically write things differently.

    ii7 V7 IM7 could be written as II-7 V7 Imaj7, and is more standard with US pros maybe?

    None of this is hugely important right now. Don't even think about it, but keep in the back of your mind, if something like that pops up.

  11. #310
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Okay, so what now? You're really not going to learn much online. Too many teachers all telling you different stuff. Everybody wants to be a teacher.

    I learnt from a book when I was 7. It showed you chords and simple tunes. In a year I was playing tunes from music and it went from there.

    Teaching must be structured and progressive. Or one teaches oneself. So what are you going to do?
    I am planning to go to a teacher. But I will also learn stuff home. Because it is only one lesson that is 30 minutes per week.

  12. #311
    I am trying to learn fly me to the moon since somone suggested I should learn songs.. There is a Am in it. How do I play it? I guess the cowboy way xx221x is wrong. How am I supposed to play it?

  13. #312

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    I am trying to learn fly me to the moon since somone suggested I should learn songs.. There is a Am in it. How do I play it? I guess the cowboy way xx221x is wrong. How am I supposed to play it?
    use the same shell voicings you used for Autumn leaves. The Am is Am7
    White belt
    My Youtube

  14. #313
    sorry if you don't like this question. Is there any reason why I am not learnt to play for example dm7 x5x56x instead of x535x. I like the sound of the first one more.

  15. #314

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    sorry if you don't like this question. Is there any reason why I am not learnt to play for example dm7 x5x56x instead of x535x. I like the sound of the first one more.
    that voicing is correct, but the second one will be better to use for the time being because you will be creating correct voiceleading (the top notes stay on the D and G string but the bass string changes)
    White belt
    My Youtube

  16. #315

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    sorry if you don't like this question. Is there any reason why I am not learnt to play for example dm7 x5x56x instead of x535x. I like the sound of the first one more.
    we wanted to stay clear of the b-string, because that's where you also might want to place a ninth later (x5355x).

    but x5x56x is totally fine because it's the same notes as 10x1010xx anyway.

  17. #316
    okay I will just use the old one it works good.

    Good news: Me and two of my friends will start a band (They know how to play). One of them has played guitar for 2 years and the other one is gonna play bass and he is pretty good at it, he can also play drums but we don't have any drums so we will use a computer software with speakers for drums..

  18. #317

    User Info Menu

    I think Rag may be right. Too many cooks.

    I'm not going to post anything further here in terms of info.

    Anyway that's fantastic Alex, have fun!

  19. #318
    The shell m6 voicings is basically the same as diminished , because it doesn't have the fifth. An easy way to learn these is by doing the Mickey Baker m7 - m6 thing. So when you have extended Am chord, you can play 5X55XX
    5X45XX
    5X55XX

    There are a other ways you could describe this kind of movement, but it's a shape which is good to know as well.

  20. #319
    I guess from here on I Will learn songs, practice ear training, scales and chords. And later on I will start writing my own songs.

  21. #320

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMalmis View Post
    I guess from here on I Will learn songs, practice ear training, scales and chords. And later on I will start writing my own songs.
    Sounds good to me. Basically if you keep what you are working on rooted around songs and music, you can't go wrong.

    The challenges you encounter will then have a purpose to them.

    Writing music can be a good way to stretch your skills. I am forever writing music I find difficult to play! But I grow from learning to play it.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.

  22. #321

    User Info Menu

    This is like watching a lesson in real time, but through someone transcribing it. Brings a tear to my eye.

  23. #322

    User Info Menu

    When I was learning theory, one of my light bulb moments came when I realized that learning the intervals on all six strings of the same fret could help me more quickly form chords and realize intervals in scales.

    From 6th string to 1st:

    1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

    etc.
    "Songs are very interesting things to do to the air." -Tom Waits

  24. #323

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    When I was learning theory, one of my light bulb moments came when I realized that learning the intervals on all six strings of the same fret could help me more quickly form chords and realize intervals in scales.

    From 6th string to 1st:

    1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

    etc.
    I started looking at the fret board this way a few months ago. I agree, it was a real "aha" moment for me also. It's been very helpful in figuring out chords.

  25. #324
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    When I was learning theory, one of my light bulb moments came when I realized that learning the intervals on all six strings of the same fret could help me more quickly form chords and realize intervals in scales.

    From 6th string to 1st:

    1-4-b7-b3-5-1,
    5-1-4-b7-9-5,
    9-5-1-4-6-9,

    etc.
    I really dont understand what you mean. Probably because I am not the best at English. What do you mean by learning the intervall on all six strings on the same fret? The interval betsen for example fret 1 on all strings or what?

  26. #325

    User Info Menu

    It shows the intervals relative to the root, going across the fretboard at any given fret position (or across the open strings).

    So with root on 6th string described as 1, the 5th string is a 4th, the 4th string is a b7, and so on. E.g. at the 3rd fret, from 6th string to 1st the notes are G, C, F, Bb, D, G. Which = root, 4, b7, minor 3rd, 5, 1 (tonic).

    Then repeat with root on the 5th string. This gives the intervals 5, 1 (root), 4, b7, 9, 5. And so on.

    Useful fretboard knowledge.

  27. #326
    Here is my first performance live
    . I was the comp guitarist with the hat not the solo guitarist. I was nervous but it was fun