Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Elliot Soloing Book Question

Hi all!
    I’m making my way through Joe Elliott’s Intro to soloing book and thought I’d post my question here instead of on the study group thread since it’s last post on chapter 6 was over a year ago. Please tell me if I’m in the wrong spot! Any help is greatly appreciated!

My issue is concerning Chapter 6, page 20: the form for pattern IV Minor and the V7 shape. Is it me or do the b7 and the 3rd not line up with the full shape in front of the book. It’s like the 7th is flatted again for the arpp shape. I’ve even read through the study group and found no mention of the difference. I saw on that thread where someone put all the forms in flash format on their website.. but looking at that site I see they’ve added a 6th!?

I did my own fretboard diagram of the shape counting up 3-5-7 and it looks different than either the book or that other site.. but sounds right to me I guess.

Maybe I’m asking too many questions and should just memorize the book’s shape and move on!?

Thanks for your time and patience!

Quote Originally Posted by booneroo View Post

My issue is concerning Chapter 6, page 20: the form for pattern IV Minor and the V7 shape. Is it me or do the b7 and the 3rd not line up with the full shape in front of the book. It’s like the 7th is flatted again for the arpp shape. I’ve even read through the study group and found no mention of the difference. I saw on that thread where someone put all the forms in flash format on their website.. but looking at that site I see they’ve added a 6th!?

The IV minor pattern in the front part of the book is for Natural Minor. The V7 arpeggio comes from Harmonic Minor. A B C D E F G# instead of A B C D E F G.

The pattern shown on page 20 for the V7 is correct. If you're playing the Imin7 pattern with your index at the 5th fret, you get A C E G. The V7 shape is with your pinky on the 7th fret and you get E G# B D.

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

That make sense! Thank you so much!

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed