Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Guitar Chord Theory Course

Has anyone gone through the Guitar Chord Theory course by Mark Goldenberg on Peg Head Nation? The preview video looks interesting and he supposedly was a student of Ted Greene, which is a pretty good pedigree to have when it comes to chord theory.

What is "chord theory" and how is it different from "harmony", or "applied harmony on the guitar"?

There seem to be a number of chord construction studies by folks who erroneously call their instructional work "chord theory". Music is ripe for inventing your own terms and nomenclature, as we witness in the forum daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt View Post
    What is "chord theory" and how is it different from "harmony", or "applied harmony on the guitar"?
    Interesting question and I guess there might not be a difference, I'm not sure if this is just a question of semantics. When I think about it what you say makes sense.

Still wondering if the course is worth the effort to complete, even if it's name is misleading.

Mark Goldenberg personally studied with Ted Greene for 10 years, and has a super impressive school and career resume, I bet he's got killer stuff to share and teach.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    Mark Goldenberg personally studied with Ted Greene for 10 years, and has a super impressive school and career resume, I bet he's got killer stuff to share and teach.
    Thanks for the info Cosmic, much appreciated.

The course might be fun and enjoyable for anyone who wants to take it, but, it looks like a fraction of what one learns in Leavitt's books to me.

Closed and open triads on multiple string sets,
    Drop 2 seventh chords on multiple string sets

A lot of teachers/authors present the same basic information. That's all fine of course, and that information and those forms are important to learn, but application to tunes is where the rubber meets the road and is what counts the most.

I'm making a course called "simultaneous note approach"
    White belt
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    I'm making a course called "simultaneous note approach"
    And the sequel "simultaneous note approach staggered"

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed