The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 93

User Info Menu

Jazz guys usually appear to be of the consensus that the III in minor is more of a tonic and that the VI is a pre-dominant. However, more than a few times I’ve seen some classical type musicians say that the III is more of a dominant and that the VI is a tonic.

Can someone explain why I’m seeing different functions of these chords between jazz and classical guys?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Which minor?

Aeolian.

Concerning the VI chord, I read that it contains a note from the iv chord so it could be considered pre-dominant because of that. I also read that since it’s a Tritone away from the ii that it could be considered pre-dominant. But that confuses me. I thought a tritone substitution was always a half step above the target chord. That would make it an Eb chord in the key of Am. It’s true that Ab is a tritone away from the ii chord though. I’m just not sure how that makes it pre-dominant.

User Info Menu

Interesting, not sure if I know enough about classical functions to comment though. I see it the jazz way for sure.

User Info Menu

I think the 'classical' approach is more based on taking the degrees of major

I - T
    II- S
    III- D/T
    IV - S
    V - D
    VI - S
    VII - D

And applying them to minor, regardless of chromatic alterations? So Ab in Cm is a Tonic function, in this understanding.

For me, I can't help but hear that minor 6th - C-Ab as an unstable interval in the context of Cm. Much like the 4th in C major, it's consonant in isolation but dissonant or dissonant-seeming in context. So chords that have that note tend to sound subdominant or dominant in function.

Here's another way of looking at it - minor as relative to major, so
    I, Am - VI of C - T
    II, Bm7b5 - VII of C - D
    III, C - I of C - T
    IV, Dm - II of C - S
    V, Em - III of C - D or T
    VI, F - IV of C - S
    VII, G(7) - V of C - D

So (b)III and (b)VI are tonic and subdominant here.

This seems a lot closer to how I hear it. But I don't know if classical guys ever think this way?

Also, Erno Lendvai's pitch axis theory would class a bIII as Tonic function, and bVI chord as subdominant.
    Axis system - Wikipedia
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-15-2018 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thared33
    Jazz guys usually appear to be of the consensus that the III in minor is more of a tonic and that the VI is a pre-dominant. However, more than a few times I’ve seen some classical type musicians say that the III is more of a dominant and that the VI is a tonic.

Can someone explain why I’m seeing different functions of these chords between jazz and classical guys?
    Can someone explain why the III, which is CM7 in A aeolian, should be considered a dominant chord?

However, more than a few times I’ve seen some classical type musicians say that the III is more of a dominant and that the VI is a tonic.
    This sounds like a description of MAJOR... Granted, minor CHORDS in a major KEY, but major nonetheless. I've never threads minor talked about that way, but there's a lot I haven't heard I guess. It would be helpful to have an actual source etc.

Anyway, there's not really a III or VI in natural minor anyway. It's bIII and bVI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    This sounds like a description of MAJOR... Granted, minor CHORDS in a major KEY, but major nonetheless. I've never threads minor talked about that way, but there's a lot I haven't heard I guess. It would be helpful to have an actual source etc.

Anyway, there's not really a III or VI in natural minor anyway. It's bIII and bVI.
    That’s what they mean.

It is a thing - Unlocking the Mysteries of Diatonic Harmony - Art of Composing

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher

I thought it was obvious that I meant bIII and bVI.

I've definitely read that a bIII can be a dominant. I'm not sure what they're on about. Other than that, it seems like a tonic.

I'm mostly curious about the bVI stuff I posted above.

User Info Menu

Well my approach is simple. In the key of C or Am, any chord with an F in is either subdominant or dominant in function, the latter if dissonant the former if consonant.

Anything else is a tonic chord. That includes the G triad.

But that’s my way of looking at it. So F is subdominant chord in both C and Am

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The minor chart on that page says exactly what I mean. III a dominant and VI a tonic.

Chord functions of III and VI in minor key-functional-harmony-chart-minor-1024x486-jpg

I wonder why it's different for classical.

PS: On the major chart, I wonder why the iii can be a pre-dominant. Hmm...

Since the bVI chord is a Tritone away from the ii, it can be considered pre-dominant. But that confuses me. I thought a tritone substitution was always a half step above the target chord. That would make it an Eb chord in the key of Am. It’s true that Ab is a tritone away from the ii chord though. I’m just not sure how that makes it pre-dominant.
    Can someone comment on this tritone thing?

User Info Menu

The minor chart on that page says exactly what I mean. III a dominant and VI a tonic.

Chord functions of III and VI in minor key-functional-harmony-chart-minor-1024x486-jpg

I wonder why it's different for classical.

PS: On the major chart, I wonder why the iii can be a pre-dominant. Hmm...
    Clearly the minor is the same as major idea is quite a big deal in classical theory, it’s why they have harmonic minor. So it makes sense they would assume the minor degrees would have the same function.

But I don’t know if it’s true for all versions of classical harmony. As I said if you look at minor as a part of the relative key, the jazz functions seem to come from there.

Or Erno Lendvais theory.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-15-2018 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Concerning the VI chord, I read that it contains a note from the iv chord so it could be considered pre-dominant because of that. I also read that since it’s a Tritone away from the ii that it could be considered pre-dominant. But that confuses me. I thought a tritone substitution was always a half step above the target chord. That would make it an Eb chord in the key of Am. It’s true that Ab is a tritone away from the ii chord though. I’m just not sure how that makes it pre-dominant.
    Yeah I don’t think of it quite like that. I think ‘family of four’: there are four connected chords in C/Am for example:

G7 Bm7b5 Dm7 Fmaj7

These can be freely exchanged with one another

Bm7b5 and Fmaj7 for instance

All these chords have an F. They all have subdominant/dominant function which is kind of the same thing to an extent, you can regard a dominant chord as a dissonant subdominant chord.

This reflects the weakened role of the non tonic chord tones in jazz. The D, A and B can all be blended into the tonic chord, but not the F

Furthermore these chords are subject to tritone substitution and minor third relationships

User Info Menu

I thought it was obvious that I meant bIII and bVI.

I've definitely read that a bIII can be a dominant. I'm not sure what they're on about. Other than that, it seems like a tonic.

I'm mostly curious about the bVI stuff I posted above.

Joe Mulholland and Tom Hojnacki explain it as follows:

"Chords that contain scale degree b6 as a primary chord tone and do not include the leading tone are mostly responsible for the sub-dominant minor sound. This results in more subdominant options in minor key harmony than in major key."

Sub-dominant chords from an Aeolian source, which can be used interchangeably in the pre-dominant position:

II-7b5
    IV-7
    bVIMaj7

User Info Menu

Sorry, no one's answered my question yet. How can a M7 chord be considered a dominant chord?

(As someone's quite rightly pointed out there's the major family and dominant family. A M7 does not belong to the dominant family! The VI, on the other hand, is a bit dubious, as we know)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Sorry, no one's answered my question yet. How can a M7 chord be considered a dominant chord?

(As someone's quite rightly pointed out there's the major family and dominant family. A M7 does not belong to the dominant family! The VI, on the other hand, is a bit dubious, as we know)

Do we have a source other than the above post that posits that? I can't find one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Joe Mulholland and Tom Hojnacki explain it as follows:

"Chords that contain scale degree b6 as a primary chord tone and do not include the leading tone are mostly responsible for the sub-dominant minor sound. This results in more subdominant options in minor key harmony than in major key."

Sub-dominant chords from an Aeolian source, which can be used interchangeably in the pre-dominant position:

II-7b5
    IV-7
    bVIMaj7
    That’s very much how I hear it too. In A minor the Aeolian note is F, see above....

User Info Menu

I think in the classical world we wouldn’t be thinking of major sevenths but plain major chords.

I think people mean the bIII triad is dominant rather than the extensions. I’m still wondering why that triad is considered dominant. I would also still like to hear more of an explanation for why the bVI is sometimes considered a tonic.

And most importantly, I’ve read that the bVI is a tritone away from (or is the tritone substitute of?) the ii chord in both major and minor, so it’s considered pre-dominant. Can someone explain that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Do we have a source other than the above post that posits that? I can't find one.
    Er...

a few times I’ve seen some classical type musicians say that the III is more of a dominant

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think in the classical world we wouldn’t be thinking of major sevenths but plain major chords.
    Major, major7, major schmajor, a major is NOT a friggin' dominant chord.

The bIII triad has only one note in common with the V so I'm still having trouble understanding. What progression are you playing there?

User Info Menu

Major, major7, major schmajor, a major is NOT a friggin' dominant chord.
    What about when it’s on degree V of the major scale? A classical theorist would consider that a dominant chord.