The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hi

I have just begun exploring internet radio stations that offer jazz. So far Slacker free version has been my window , they have a great Hard Bop channel which for me is great to jam with. Anyone else listening to IR and have recommendations for good stations/shows. I subscribe to Smalls Live to access the archive which is great so not averse to paying for good content.

Will

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I happily use the free versions of Slacker and Google Play Music. The key to using both is pick an artist and they will program a station playing them and other related artists, then you fine tune it by liking and disliking tunes as they play via some type of like/dislike icon.

I'm listening to Dave Douglas radio on Google music as I type this.

User Info Menu

one of the great on air stations with internet presence is wkcr...columbia university nyc radio station...been stellar for decades.

another good internet radio broadcast is jazz swing manouche radio...jsm...european based

i believe both are available via i-tunes

cheers

User Info Menu

Google Play Music appears to be a version of Itunes? No? I'm not sure if I am impressed or appalled that they clearly have data on my musical likes/dislikes without me doing anything as my recommended purchases include

Campus Five
    John Mclaughlin
    Jonathon Kriesberg
    Joey Defranceso
    Roy Buchanan
    JJ Cale
    Scofield
    Emily Remler
    Ella Fitzgerald

quite the range they "guess" I like and coincidentally all stuff I have recently listened too )

Will

User Info Menu

Advertising is their business, and they're good at it. If you've ever done a Google search, they know about it. If you're using Chrome, they know where you go. It's not a version of itunes, but it functions similarly. I've surrendered to the inevitable and subscribe to Google Music/YouTube Red on a family plan. The 'kids' (in their late 30s/early 40s) can listen to what they like, and I have my jazz library. I've uploaded most of my CDs, and stream all of my music instead of using an actual CD. For me, it's far easier to get music I like there than listening to a radio station, either OTA or via the internet. Google knows what I like, and I don't often get something I can't stand.

User Info Menu

Check out kcsm.org, the 24/7 public jazz radio station from the College of San Mateo (here in the San Francisco Bay Area). Straight ahead or cutting edge jazz, no "jazz" lite, extremely knowledgable disc jockeys (do they even call them disc jockeys any more?), and they inherited a substantial collection of jazz CDs and vinyl (which they still spin) from the now-defunct KJAZ radio. All jazz all the time, and commercial free. I've not found a better jazz station in the past half-decade.
    Last edited by Perdido; 12-09-2018 at 11:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm sure its just me but I love the idea of listening to radio again , relying on DJ's to lead me through the music of the moment. Its been a long time since I listened to radio. I grew up in the 60's/70's in Scotland listening to a vintage tube radio ( I can still smell the hot sound of radio ) Lots of big band jazz and then ooohhhh Pirate Radio with all the good stuff the BBC did not play !!! Radio Lux/Caroline.

Will

User Info Menu

I never miss an opportunity to recommend Inside Out, the weekly jazz programme on Radio New Zealand Concert. Each show lasts an hour, has a theme, and has no advertisements. You can find all the shows transmitted so far here.

User Info Menu

This is the link to the On Demand audio archive for Swing Is In The Air, a Sunday afternoon jazz show from CKCU fm in Ottawa and goes back more than 3 years
    CKCU: Swing Is In The Air

Broadcast out of Toronto, live 24hrs
    JAZZ.FM91 | Playing the best music in the world

User Info Menu

I enjoy jazzradio.com and specifically the jazz guitar channel. They also have a gypsy jazz channel with lots of guitar.

User Info Menu

I use the Tune In radio app on which there are a multitude of jazz choices:

WBFO
    Jazz Radio Classic Jazz
    Chroma Radio Classic
    Chroma Radio - Jazz Guitar
    Jazz FM
    TSF Jazz 89.9
    WHRB 95.3
    ABC Jazz
    WDNA 88.9
    The One 88.1
    WKCR-FM
    Jazz24 88.5

My only complaint is that not all of them scroll song and artist info to your screen while they are playing.

User Info Menu

If you like mellow, cocktail lounge jazz (NOT smooth jazz), check out the streaming station The Jazz Groove. It's available via iTunes and TuneIn Radio, plus its own website thejazzgroove.org.

Despite the slightly cheesy name, their content is totally legit, laid back jazz (again, NOT smooth). If you have Amazon's services, Alexa has a downloadable skill for it as well.

User Info Menu

Jazz24, the online version of KNKX, formerly KPLU, a community owned jazz station in Seattle.

User Info Menu

My favorites are:

WUCF - University of Central Florida
    WBGO - New York City
    JAZZ24 - Seattle and Tacoma, Washington
    WKCR - Columbia College
    HD Radio - Jazz

I also use TuneIn Radio primarily, but for finding new artists who I may like I also use Pandora’s free app. Pandora seems to be the best at recommending artists and songs based on my likes. Also, I occasionally use an app called Jazz Radio, which provides about 40 jazz stations/playlists.

User Info Menu

I also listen to jazzradio.com and really enjoy their Hard Bop station.

User Info Menu

Enjoy 30 minutes of excellent music.After that, we'll ask you to register for a free account. sign me UP ..thnks for LINK..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh
    Broadcast out of Toronto, live 24hrs
    JAZZ.FM91 | Playing the best music in the world
    Listened to this every day when I lived in Toronto, definitely recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Advertising is their business, and they're good at it. If you've ever done a Google search, they know about it. If you're using Chrome, they know where you go. It's not a version of itunes, but it functions similarly. I've surrendered to the inevitable and subscribe to Google Music/YouTube Red on a family plan. The 'kids' (in their late 30s/early 40s) can listen to what they like, and I have my jazz library. I've uploaded most of my CDs, and stream all of my music instead of using an actual CD. For me, it's far easier to get music I like there than listening to a radio station, either OTA or via the internet. Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher Google knows what I like, and I don't often get something I can't stand.
    please, I have a small question:
    how do they know if you search on Google or use Chrome? what's his way?
    Last edited by klimbo; 01-28-2019 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

It's not just Chrome, it's any browser. When you access google.com, Google knows, obviously. And it leaves a cookie on your computer, which is checked each time you visit google.com. Google keeps track of what you search for, ostensibly so that it can give you more useful results when you search. Google makes its money by selling ads, and those ad sales are possible mostly through knowing what your interests are, so it can present the most relevant ads, so that you're more likely to click on them. Your browser tells them which it is, unless you spoof it. There are a number of browser extensions/add-ins that will spoof your browser ID, and tell websites that it's whatever you choose. They can have Chrome report itself as Safari, Firefox, Edge, or whatever. That isn't really very important information in most cases, except for targeting ads for particular software or hardware. The bottom line is that Google, Bing, or other search engines track you everywhere you go. To reduce this, I use Startpage as my search engine, and Privacy Badger to prevent tracking cookies from being set on my computer. You can't eliminate it entirely, but you can reduce it. I also use a VPN (virtual private network) to reduce tracking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I enjoy jazzradio.com and specifically the jazz guitar channel. They also have a gypsy jazz channel with lots of guitar.
    I also enjoy jazzradio and their various sub-stations. This is my way of learning about younger jazz musicians and getting out of the rut of just listening to the recordings I have on my computer, which is mostly 50s and 60s jazz.

Keeps me young (well at least in my head!).