The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

So let's start this. Anyone with me? Let's set the start date for tomorrow.

The book can be bought here: Jazz Guitar Comping eBook+Online Audio - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

I would love some feedback on what you think we should start practicing. I am not quite sure. I was thinking of starting with the rhythm section, since this is so important for comping. Thoughts? I am probably not the best to lead the study group, in terms of advice, so perhaps someone would like to take lead? Preferably someone who is on a way better skill level than me

Jazz Guitar Comping - Andrew Green-screenshot-2018-12-02-13-18-12-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in. I bought the kindle version of the book and browsed thru it. Since there isn't really a scheduled work plan in the book, I think the simplest way is just to start shedding the material. I would start from the beginning though and go from there. At least the rhythm section looks, that you need to already know the voicings? As for the study group timeline, there are 49 audio clips within the book. Clips varies in lenght and difficulty. One idea would be to do 1-2 clips per week and post audio/video of us playing the clip (with or without track). Or playing other examples which are between clips (all of the examples doesn't have audio tracks) and maybe even using these examples in some tune. IMO good "end goal" would be to play comping etudes and studies, which are at the end of the book. If we do 2 clips / week, then it would take us around half a year. What do you think and are others joining?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    I'm in. I bought the kindle version of the book and browsed thru it. Since there isn't really a scheduled work plan in the book, I think the simplest way is just to start shedding the material. I would start from the beginning though and go from there. At least the rhythm section looks, that you need to already know the voicings? As for the study group timeline, there are 49 audio clips within the book. Clips varies in lenght and difficulty. One idea would be to do 1-2 clips per week and post audio/video of us playing the clip (with or without track). Or playing other examples which are between clips (all of the examples doesn't have audio tracks) and maybe even using these examples in some tune. IMO good "end goal" would be to play comping etudes and studies, which are at the end of the book. If we do 2 clips / week, then it would take us around half a year. What do you think and are others joining?
    That sounds like a good idea also! I’ve been trying to reach the author and ask how he intended to do it as well, but I haven’t found any way of contacting him.

I have been practicing the first bebop rhythm section a little the last two days. It’s really fun exercises. Basic II-V-I anticipation/delay stuff. I’ve been using drop2. I don’t think the voicings you decide to use matter much, but there are a lot of good info on voicings in the book. I also did the first voice leading stuff with drop 2, just to see how voice leading works. It’s quite new to me.

User Info Menu

So I did the two note and three note example today. I recorded in the 3rd note example with root note, and free tempo:

I also played them with the CD track.

User Info Menu

I'll try to record some examples tomorrow or thursday. The first ones are pretty straight forward, so I think there is no need to spent much much time with these. Or maybe add some other rhythm to examples.

I Suck at reading these chords, how can we do make it easier

User Info Menu

I suck at reading too, but these are good exercises for that. I recorded few clips with Zoom2, but now i'm having trouble exporting them to my pc. My pc doesn't regognise Zoom2 ever since I changed new batteries to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    That sounds like a good idea also! I’ve been trying to reach the author and ask how he intended to do it as well, but I haven’t found any way of contacting him.
    CONTACT – Andrew Green did you try this thing? it probably goes to his e-mail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    CONTACT – Andrew Green did you try this thing? it probably goes to his e-mail

The form bugs out when I try. I just get a blank white page with a 0. I also commented on one of his blog post and asked for him to reach out to me. I just guess he doesn't want to be talked to/found.

User Info Menu

oh ok i should have figured you tried that; just making sure. Sorry to hear that, most of these guys are pretty easy to contact!

Is this group still on?

User Info Menu

Yes, or just starting maybe. The more people join, the better it gets I think.

ok lets do it

User Info Menu

Here are my recordings of audio 4 and 6:

I have been going thru the book basically from the start. I have skipped some examples, which require bigger finger stretch. At my level I'm focusing on more basic voicings. It's cool that there are more rhythm patterns coming. How are you guys doing so far?

User Info Menu

Just downloaded the book and audio files. I'm a little weak on musical notation but am hoping that participating in this study group will help. I also have Fareed Haque's Truefire course and may participate in that group as well.

User Info Menu

One sort of obvious flaw with the book audio clips is, that there is no count/click before they start. That makes is it a bit hard to play along with them.

I agree

User Info Menu

Is this group is still alive ?? I just bought the book and started working on it . If you guys wants to keep this group moving or new people wanna join and wanna do combine study the material . please reply on the group .
    Thanks