The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

For me, the main upside to the Fareed Haque course is that I like the sound of his comping. That's important to me.

Does anyone know of any examples of Andrew Green's comping I could hear? I can find a few examples from one of his other books on youtube, but not the comping one, and nothing by Green himself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    For me, the main upside to the Fareed Haque course is that I like the sound of his comping. That's important to me.

Does anyone know of any examples of Andrew Green's comping I could hear? I can find a few examples from one of his other books on youtube, but not the comping one, and nothing by Green himself.

There seems to me that the main disadvantage about Farred's course, is that there is nothing about leaving space for the soloist. Neither about rythm directly. This was what my teacher stressed the most when we talked, so that's why I looked elsewhere. Comping should be about improvisation, about anticipating, about rhythm, about communication etc. The books talks about this a lot. The book also has the shell voicing approach inside it, together with other stuff. So for me it was a no brainer. Anyhow, everyone is different, and this is just my opinion.

Fareed Haque's Jazz Comping Survival Guide - Study group-screenshot-2018-12-01-17-42-46-jpg

Now much of this should probably be learned by listening to good compers. Unfortunately that is easier said than done. Anyway, if a study group starts on the Fareed course, I probably will chime in anyway. Ideally for me, I guess something like the Modern Method book study group would be best. I think a book supports that better than a video course.

By the way, I am sorry that I seem very skeptical to the course. It’s just that in today’s age, there is so much information, I got to chose with a critical eye what I want to start on.
    Last edited by znerken; 12-01-2018 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    There seems to me that the main disadvantage about Farred's course, is that there is nothing about leaving space for the soloist. Neither about rythm directly. This was what my teacher stressed the most when we talked, so that's why I looked elsewhere. Comping should be about improvisation, about anticipating, about rhythm, about communication etc. The books talks about this a lot. The book also has the shell voicing approach inside it, together with other stuff. So for me it was a no brainer. Anyhow, everyone is different, and this is just my opinion.
    If that's the stuff you're looking to work on, then maybe the book is right for you. I've worked with shell voicings and anticipations and delays in my private lessons. That stuff is very useful, and you can hear plenty of anticipations and delays in the Fareed examples, whether he describes them as that or not.
    I've been digging Fareed's playing for 15-20 years now, it's just something I'd like to learn more about.
    No harm in 2 separate study groups coming out of this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    If that's the stuff you're looking to work on, then maybe the book is right for you. I've worked with shell voicings and anticipations and delays in my private lessons. That stuff is very useful, and you can hear plenty of anticipations and delays in the Fareed examples, whether he describes them as that or not.
    I've been digging Fareed's playing for 15-20 years now, it's just something I'd like to learn more about.
    No harm in 2 separate study groups coming out of this.
    Two study groups would probably be awesome! I would sneak in and work on this one as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I'm not sure why Fep has to do it. I think it was said already that he has a lot on his plate. If you want a study group, just do it. I won't be a hypocrite. This would be my "before" video as set out in my suggested syllabus. Anyone want to join in I'll do an "after" at the end of the month. If not, no worries.

This is just guide tones right off of the RealBook. The third chorus (@1:20) is a little more lively.
    Nice playing rlrhett. I also grabbed the Fareed's course from Truefire, when it was on sale. I really want to push my comping, so I want join this group also. I'll record my before clip next week. I think I start with blues and first try to nail those Fareed examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Nice playing rlrhett. I also grabbed the Fareed's course from Truefire, when it was on sale. I really want to push my comping, so I want join this group also. I'll record my before clip next week. I think I start with blues and first try to nail those Fareed examples.

It will be just you and me I guess. No one else seems to have interest. It's a pity because I actually think this is a good course. Being a "survival" course it is by its nature paired down. For example, he leaves the rhythm up to you. But frankly I think that is one of the things that makes this course good. He makes you use your ears and taste.

I had abandoned this thread. But if you really want to give it a go, I'll keep at it just like I said.

User Info Menu

I have the course as well and have looked at it as well. I will look it again but not sure when. Certainly a good reference when you want to play around with "Blue Bossa"

User Info Menu

Here is my before clip. Satin Doll 2 choruses, in second I'm playing four to the bar. All feedback most welcome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I have the course as well and have looked at it as well. I will look it again but not sure when. Certainly a good reference when you want to play around with "Blue Bossa"
    I think your are confusing this with his improv course. There is no Blue Bossa in this course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jhui
    Here is my before clip. Satin Doll 2 choruses, in second I'm playing four to the bar. All feedback most welcome.

I like it! I think that is exactly the starting point. To be honest, if I was soloing I preferred the first chorus to the second. It is hard to just comp with the two notes, but hearing your example I can see what Fareed is talking about. I know two note comping is not what he advocates. That is just the starting point. But the "four to the bar" comping felt stodgier. Your first chorus felt airier and had better feel. Now it is just a matter of doing that every day for a few choruses. Maybe pick up another tune as well. As it feels more natural I think you will start adding rhythmic variations, single notes, and maybe start exploring some substitutions.

User Info Menu

I think your are confusing this with his improv course. There is no Blue Bossa in this course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You are correct.

I do have both courses. I have not spend much time with the comping survival guide. (For reasons not clear to me I find the video quality and sound quality seems to be some what problematic when I try to play the comping course. Not sure if it's my sound video configuration or the media itself. It just does not seem to be as good as most other Truefire courses I have.)

User Info Menu

I think it is a relatively old course. You can see how the production values take a huge leap forward for courses made in the last two years or so.

User Info Menu

I'm a jazz newbie and have never participated in a study group. It looks like a good idea... a place to upload lesson play alongs for critique and a chance to hear other members work and maybe ask some questions. Speaking of questions, what is a "before clip" and where did you guys get the "Satin Doll" piece that you have uploaded? I didn't see it in the course material.

I'm not sure if I can make the time commitment for the group but I will definitely be following this thread as I go through the course.

User Info Menu

I suggest you read through the thread a little. I laid out what I thought a study group could do in post #19, and since it looks like I've inherited the thread I guess that's our syllabus. We are just shedding the first step which is to comp with just "guide tones". Next month we will add a bass note, etc.

A "before clip" is us running through the material at the start of a month without having shedded it. Then as the month progresses we can post questions or talk through issues. Then at the end of the month we post an "after" shedding for a month.

I suggested that we apply the technique to any standard we wanted. I've been shedding "How High the Moon", "Autumn Leaves", and "Blue Bossa". Jhui went with "Satin Dolls". You can do anything you want, or stick with Fareed's "Blues" or do "Rhythm Changes" since that is basically the vi-ii-V-I he shows.

Good luck, and welcome.

User Info Menu

Answered my questions. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I used iReal Pro for my backing track, but like rlrhett said you can use anything. My plan is to shed fareed examples and see if those concepts come to my playing. I'm not a huge fan of truefire user interface, but I printed the example sheets/pdf and that works for me

User Info Menu

I suggest you read through the thread a little. I laid out what I thought a study group could do in post #19, and since it looks like I've inherited the thread I guess that's our syllabus. We are just shedding the first step which is to comp with just "guide tones". Next month we will add a bass note, etc.

A "before clip" is us running through the material at the start of a month without having shedded it. Then as the month progresses we can post questions or talk through issues. Then at the end of the month we post an "after" shedding for a month
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox .

I suggested that we apply the technique to any standard we wanted. I've been shedding "How High the Moon", "Autumn Leaves", and "Blue Bossa". Jhui went with "Satin Dolls". You can do anything you want, or stick with Fareed's "Blues" or do "Rhythm Changes" since that is basically the vi-ii-V-I he shows.

Good luck, and welcome
    good suggestion thanks
    Last edited by klimbo; 01-28-2019 at 03:48 PM.