The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 119

User Info Menu

Where does that phase occur in the recording?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Where does that phase occur in the recording?
    Right when the solo start. 1:10 if I remember correctly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by znerken
    This is probably the biggest newbie question, but is utilizing the blues scale frequently considered very “bebopy”?

On another note, how did you like the solo? I found it very cool!
    In case this is helpful:

I thought there were some good ideas and some classic licks in there. I thought he wasn't locked tight with the backing rhythmically.

User Info Menu

This is probably the biggest newbie question, but is utilizing the blues scale frequently considered very “bebopy”?

On another note, how did you like the solo? I found it very cool!
    No, it's considered bluesy.

If it's bebop it has to have other characteristics going on too. (note: it is common for any jazz player to play with some blues phrases, from a little to a lot)

Eric Clapton does not play like Charlie Parker, or Joe Pass for that matter, but Clapton plays the blues scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    No, it's considered bluesy.

If it's bebop it has to have other characteristics going on too. (note: it is common for any jazz player to play with some blues phrases, from a little to a lot)

Eric Clapton does not play like Charlie Parker, or Joe Pass for that matter, but Clapton plays the blues scale.
    Of course, I mean in the context of a jazz solo :-)

User Info Menu

Of course, I mean in the context of a jazz solo :-)
    OK, answer is still no.

Not all jazz is boppish, but almost every jazz style injects the blues into its sound now and then.

User Info Menu

Right when the solo start. 1:10 if I remember correctly.
    Probably just a beboppy blues idea, basically. Not worth over-analysing it. I did like the video, quite a nice player :-)

Point is, I don't think he was playing entirely by rote and this stuff is difficult. So he could very, very easily have just popped that note in on the fly. Easily done and doesn't matter a bit.

User Info Menu

Man, maybe I had a shitty day, but I think that clip is awful. I certainly wouldn't recommend learning anything that cat is teaching unless it's free...his time on the melody is terrible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Man, maybe I had a shitty day, but I think that clip is awful. I certainly wouldn't recommend learning anything that cat is teaching unless it's free...his time on the melody is terrible.
    Still the motifs/phrases/lines are worth learning, if you learn them by his tab? Would you care to explain how his time is terrible? For me to learn from :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    OK, answer is still no.

Not all jazz is boppish, but almost every jazz style injects the blues into its sound now and then.
    Okay. Nice answer.

So to take it forward. What makes his solo boppy then? Besides the bebop scale :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Probably just a beboppy blues idea, basically. Not worth over-analysing it. I did like the video, quite a nice player :-)

Point is, I don't think he was playing entirely by rote and this stuff is difficult. So he could very, very easily have just popped that note in on the fly. Easily done and doesn't matter a bit.
    Good point! However, he hits that b7 in both the first and the second time that F^7 chord is played. See the tab. First and fourth bar.

User Info Menu

Not specifically. But using the b7 is common.

User Info Menu

Still the motifs/phrases/lines are worth learning, if you learn them by his tab? Would you care to explain how his time is terrible? For me to learn from :-)
    Tbh I think you’d be better off learning a solo from one of the great jazz players. There’s plenty of transcriptions out there that people have done.

Let me ask you a question - do you actually listen to jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Tbh I think you’d be better off learning a solo from one of the great jazz players. There’s plenty of transcriptions out there that people have done.

Let me ask you a question - do you actually listen to jazz?

Yes, I do!

I like Miles solo on Bye Bye Blackbird(Round About Midnight).

However, I have a hard time finding any other solos on Bye Bye Blackbird, especially beboppy ones. When I stumbled upon the one on youtube, I liked how it sounded, so I decided to learn it.

Let me ask you a question. Do you have any recordings/songs(any standard) of great jazz guitar players who plays bebop? Please feel free to share, cause I feel I need all the influences I can get.

User Info Menu

Yes, I do!

I like Miles solo on Bye Bye Blackbird(Round About Midnight).

However, I have a hard time finding any other solos on Bye Bye Blackbird, especially beboppy ones. When I stumbled upon the one on youtube, I liked how it sounded, so I decided to learn it.

Let me ask you a question. Do you have any recordings/songs(any standard) of great jazz guitar players who plays bebop? Please feel free to share, cause I feel I need all the influences I can get.
    I’m an old duffer so I pay for music and I expect others to do the same.

My favourite pure bop guitar player is probably Jimmy Raney. Other greats include Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Chuck Wayne, Joe Pass, early Pat Martino perhaps....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’m an old duffer so I pay for music and I expect others to do the same.

My favourite pure bop guitar player is probably Jimmy Raney. Other greats include Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Chuck Wayne, Joe Pass, early Pat Martino perhaps....

Nonono, you are misunderstanding me. I'll buy the songs myself, I meant recommend me some name of tunes. Sorry, probably my poor choice of words.

User Info Menu

Sure: I’ll just recommend Jimmy Raney - there’s one he did with Jim Hall and Zoot Sims - two Jims and zoot, so that’s two of my favourite guitarists on that record, good value for money lol

I like Jimmy Raney in Three Attitudes and the live stuff he cut with Stan Getz (bad sound quality but great music)

User Info Menu

Good point! However, he hits that b7 in both the first and the second time that F^7 chord is played. See the tab. First and fourth bar.
    Okay, I've got the site now. Sorry, I'm a bit slow. I can see a notation transcription but no tab.

The player is a teacher?? Sorry, I didn't realise that. Hmm, in that case... he has got some nice licks and lines. I mean, I'm no expert but it sounds boppy to me.

As the others have pointed out, if it's not a sync problem the timing is pretty awful. If he's trying to teach then he ought to sort that out, no question.

You're saying he repeats that Eb over the M7... I just think he's treating the M7 like a straight major chord and playing blues lines over it. It does give another note option after all. Or he could be thinking the bebop scale (which he does use). Or... I don't know.

He does reference the blues in that web site again and again so that's probably it. The video is actually labelled: 'Demo exercise for using bebop line, blues scale line and short motif line' so I think that's the idea.

If you listen to the solo without knowing anything, as if for the first time, does that note really bother the ear? Or is it only in analysing it later that the query comes up? If it doesn't make the listener cringe what's the harm in it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Okay, I've got the site now. Sorry, I'm a bit slow. I can see a notation transcription but no tab.

The player is a teacher?? Sorry, I didn't realise that. Hmm, in that case... he has got some nice licks and lines. I mean, I'm no expert but it sounds boppy to me.

As the others have pointed out, if it's not a sync problem the timing is pretty awful. If he's trying to teach then he ought to sort that out, no question.

You're saying he repeats that Eb over the M7... I just think he's treating the M7 like a straight major chord and playing blues lines over it. It does give another note option after all. Or he could be thinking the bebop scale (which he does use). Or... I don't know.

He does reference the blues in that web site again and again so that's probably it. The video is actually labelled: 'Demo exercise for using bebop line, blues scale line and short motif line' so I think that's the idea.

If you listen to the solo without knowing anything, as if for the first time, does that note really bother the ear? Or is it only in analysing it later that the query comes up? If it doesn't make the listener cringe what's the harm in it?
    Ye, I think you are correct.

Well, I think it sounds great. I just wanted to understand the theory of it, so I could use it on other standards as well. I started learning the solo, just because I heard some cool lines, and what I recognised as bebop. Okay, he's out of time, but you can use the sheet music and play it in time, by practicing it with a metronome. Okay okay, I should probably listen to one of the legends, but I haven't find many recordings of Bye Bye Blackbird, at least not ones I like a lot. You have Miles version, but I also like to hear have guitarists tackle it.

User Info Menu

I've never heard a version by any of the 'big' jazz guitar names, however it seems there was a recording featuring Kenny Burrell (on a Jimmy Smith record):

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Bye Bye Blackbird)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I've never heard a version by any of the 'big' jazz guitar names, however it seems there was a recording featuring Kenny Burrell (on a Jimmy Smith record):

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Bye Bye Blackbird)

Yes, I have actually transcribed like 70% of that solo. It's at a very high tempo, and not the best solo I have heard to be honestly.

User Info Menu

Ye, I think you are correct.

Well, I think it sounds great. I just wanted to understand the theory of it, so I could use it on other standards as well. I started learning the solo, just because I heard some cool lines, and what I recognised as bebop. Okay, he's out of time, but you can use the sheet music and play it in time, by practicing it with a metronome. Okay okay, I should probably listen to one of the legends, but I haven't find many recordings of Bye Bye Blackbird, at least not ones I like a lot. You have Miles version, but I also like to hear have guitarists tackle it.
    I've been looking for a Scofield version but I can't find one. I think you're right, there's nothing wrong with getting licks and whatnot from that site. Apart from the presentation, which is a bit sloppy, there's plenty of good stuff there.

So, er, when do we get to hear you then?

User Info Menu

There's this. Starts slow, gets going.

User Info Menu

Barry Greene might be worth signing up for. Performance at 3.18.

User Info Menu

So since I am learning a lot from this, I hope I can ask more questions about the score. On the 8th measure, he plays what seems to be notes not from the Ab diminished scale, so what are they from? Could it be a that he's just staying in F major, and using the Gb as a passing note?

b7 over a major chord, which scale?-screenshot-2018-11-14-21-46-45-jpg

Edit, so it was actually a 7, and not a root, so I guess just F major with Gb as passing note.
    b7 over a major chord, which scale?-screenshot-2018-11-14-22-02-22-jpg