The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I don't think these videos have been posted on the forum before so I thought I'd share them. As a jazz guitar newbie I find these videos extremely helpful and I regularly go back and watch them. Professor Hamilton makes really simple concepts sound hip. It's a great way to get started. Perhaps experienced players will get something out of this too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great lessons from a great teacher! This approach will jump-start your jazz guitar aspirations.

wiz

I like that he recommends specific tunes or albums in all the videos. That's also valuable when you start out. Although I guess most people have heard Freddie Freeloader, maybe everyone hasn't specifically listened to Wynton Kelly's comping on that particular recording. It's all good.
    Last edited by Sredna; 11-17-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: ie

User Info Menu

some inkling of why you always spoke so highly of your erstwhile professor, jake...

thanks for bringing it, sredna.

User Info Menu

Excellent, thanks for sharing. He presented his ideas very clearly, succinctly, and eloquently. I'm gonna see if he has a book out as well.

(incidentally, every time I see a headless guitar, I think of Holdsworth..)

User Info Menu

I immediately subscribed to his vids when you posted over on the "how to use arps" thread. Thanks again for bringing these to our attention.

User Info Menu

I miss Fred

He's a master

User Info Menu

Jake, are you from UNT as well?

Great to find other eagles on the web.

User Info Menu

I saw the videos and said - I recognize that guy. Then I realized he was my professor at UNT. He just started there when I was a student. Ah the memories

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by minorsecond
    Jake, are you from UNT as well?

Great to find other eagles on the web.
    I finished in 2008. I'm still in touch with a lot of people there, I miss the vibe to a certain extent, don't miss the heat tho!

User Info Menu

Excellent! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Thanks Srenda.

User Info Menu

Played with Fred at an Aebersold camp.
    He's a monster. Great bass player too.

User Info Menu

I studied with Fred at Aebersold. A great soft spoken guy who speaks with his talent.

There are also some great Youtube videos of him and Corey Christiansen (who I have also played wih) playing and instructing.

Great nuggets of knowledge...

User Info Menu

Would someone be so kind as to explain what he means, at the 5 minute mark, when he says--in describing the Am7b5 part of the lick--that he did something different and used "1, 5-3, 4, 5-5 and 5-7?"

I'm relatively sure that 1 is "A" and that 4 is "D," beyond that, I'm lost, and I can't see his fingers well enough to see which notes he's playing. Do those other, compound, numbers refer to, for instance, the 5th of the 3rd etc...?

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    He is outlining an A min7b5 to D7 sound, based on the few seconds I watched. The notes he is playing are:

A, C, D, Eb, G, F, F#

The intervals are the intervals based on the chord he is outlining...nothing related to compound, etc. I am not even sure what that means, to be honest. I am sure it makes sense to you which is what counts.

A - 1
    C - b3
    D - 4
    Eb - b5
    G - b7

An Amin7b5 arpeggio w/ the 4th (D) added.

Then the changes move to D7 (I am guessing-I didn't watch the full video...guessing he is moving to the VI chord in a blues, leading up to the final ii-V back to F). So the note relation changes.

F - #9
    F# - 3

Hope that helps (and is accurate!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeffstocksmusic
    ...An Amin7b5 arpeggio w/ the 4th (D) added.
    That's what I thought, especially since he says that he added the 4th, but the whole "5-3" "5-5" "5-7" business threw me.

...guessing he is moving to the VI chord in a blues, leading up to the final ii-V back to F).
    He was doing arpeggios, with chromatic accents, over the changes to "Autumn Leaves" in Bb.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The intervals are the intervals based on the chord he is outlining...nothing related to compound, etc. I am not even sure what that means, to be honest. I am sure it makes sense to you which is what counts.

A - 1
    C - b3
    D - 4
    Eb - b5
    G - b7

Edit: Doh!!! After rereading the above part of your post, it has just dawned on me that he's saying flat and not five at all. I certainly didn't hear that this morning. How embarrassing! Well, I'm going to chock this up to some ongoing regional consonant/diphthong shift rather than any deficiencies on my part, ROFL.
    Last edited by Hoopskidoodle; 02-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.