The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Am struggling to break through the ii v i barrier, play through the change, a 3 or four bar phrase.

Can any one point me to, refer their favourite simple and super cool ii v i line so I can drill it, play with it etc

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I find these lessons helpful.
    II V I Jazz Guitar Licks

User Info Menu

Thanks moreover appreciate you taking the time. Lessons don’t work for me.

Am after some cool funky lines. Stand alone 3 or 4 bar lick like in a blues. Lines of masters. maybe by Louis Armstrong, Grant Green, Peter Bernstein, Scofield Lee Morgan, whoever but simple to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Like Grant Green and miles intro lick to Tune Up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Something like this perhaps.
    Jazz Guitar Lines Of The Greats: Amazon.co.uk: Jamey Aebersold: Books

The same guy did a video about the book.

User Info Menu

There’s also that monster Coltrane 2-5 patterns thing:

http://valdez.dumarsengraving.com/PD...nePatterns.pdf

User Info Menu

One thing about those Trane patterns is that for guitar, you don’t need to practise them in all 12 keys like the sax players do, at least not in my opinion. A couple of keys might be enough if they are on different string sets, given how easy it is to transpose up and down on the guitar.

As these patterns are moving in fifths, you might get away with just doing the first two in each set, for example.

User Info Menu

Well I don't really play II V I's, because three chords is way too much work unless I'm being paid really well. Which in jazz is almost never the case.

So, in a (short, or two bar) II V I play

II --> (I)
    or
    V --> (I)

Any subs scales etc you want to use are A-OK

No one is interested in the I chord. Everyone knows what a major or minor sounds like, so give them one note, 3rds and 5ths are always good, but maybe a 2, 6 or 7 when you are feeling more confident.

Not all lines are actually this way, but don't fret the exceptions, and you'll hopefully find this approach declutters your thinking and playing. I daresay for long II V's it's not such a pain in the bum.

User Info Menu

In terms of actual vocab, get them the way I did, off a bloke in the pub with no questions asked.*

*that means steal them. And having stolen them, vary them.

But I'm not going to give them to your for free. That's why theft is necessary.

User Info Menu

Also, I think the triad/tension note thing is cool, obviously Jordan would hate me for putting it this way out of a melodic context, but

Dm11 G13b9 Cmaj7

Play

C E Em

And with added tension note

C/4 E/b9 Em/4

Lastly, anything that's a chord can also be a line. Play the notes in the chord shapes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    In terms of actual vocab, get them the way I did, off a bloke in the pub with no questions asked.*

*that means steal them. And having stolen them, vary them.

But I'm not going to give them to your for free. That's why theft is necessary.
    I nicked all mine off of old dead geezers so they wouldn’t notice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    One thing about those Trane patterns is that for guitar, you don’t need to practise them in all 12 keys like the sax players do, at least not in my opinion.
    I think you're right.
    It's important to be able to play in all 12 keys but this doesn't mean you have to play every single thing in all 12 keys to know it.

Carol Kaye has a small booklet (pamphlet, really) called "Pro's Jazz Phrases" and she goes over the lines in only four keys: C, F, G, and Eb. If you can play something in those four keys, other keys won't prove a problem. (The only exception would be lines incorporating open strings.)

User Info Menu

I have been getting my pet lines from Jazz instructional books.

GGG, you might have to up your game a little and find the lines yourself, and then transcribe them yourself. What is inspirational for one person might not be very good to another. You might find it to be very rewarding and motivating.

You have come so far on your journey and made such great, great progress. You might be better off taking this endeavor into your own hands, instead of relying solely on recommendations from others.

And I would not limit my source material - some of these books have collections of very nice lines already tabbed and annotated for you, with the chords right there. And you can hear them with the accompanying CDs or mp3s. I am bobbing my head right now to a Greg Fishman minor line that is forever burned into my memory and fingers.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 09-12-2018 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    off a bloke in the pub with no questions asked..
    also a good way to make money

User Info Menu

Been lurking at the back hawking my tabz

User Info Menu

This is definitely my favorite.

Easiest cool ii v i lines-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Hip

User Info Menu

I knew you'd like it

User Info Menu

I thought it was going to be all around the mulberry bush haha

User Info Menu

One thing about those Trane patterns is that for guitar, you don’t need to practise them in all 12 keys like the sax players do, at least not in my opinion. A couple of keys might be enough if they are on different string sets, given how easy it is to transpose up and down on the guitar.

As these patterns are moving in fifths, you might get away with just doing the first two in each set, for example.
    It's more important to play patterns (not necessarily the Trane ones) in every possible guitar positions .. CAGED or 3NPS whatever, so you get a much better mastering of the fretboard.

Also playing a pattern in all keys, whether it is along the cycle of 4th (first step) or along the 12 keys in random order (next training step) is very useful to train 1) your muscle memory 2) your brain to find notes on the fretboard (at least the starting one of a pattern)... Put another way, a lot of repeat during a couple of weeks is the best learning practice.

User Info Menu

By the way, Bert Ligon must be mentionned here. One of his books is an in depth discussion of ii V I , but it's also very helpful to practice connecting all sorts of chord change as discussed at the end of the book.

Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony by Bert Ligon

User Info Menu

Since you like the Grant Green and Miles intro for Tune Up why not go to Youtube. Put the playback setting at half speed, if you can't pick the licks up at full speed, and try to copy the licks for yourself. You'll learn much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is definitely my favorite.

Easiest cool ii v i lines-untitled-jpg
    Are you going to do a video on that, like playing slow with explanation?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    It's more important to play patterns (not necessarily the Trane ones) in every possible guitar positions .. CAGED or 3NPS whatever, so you get a much better mastering of the fretboard.

Also playing a pattern in all keys, whether it is along the cycle of 4th (first step) or along the 12 keys in random order (next training step) is very useful to train 1) your muscle memory 2) your brain to find notes on the fretboard (at least the starting one of a pattern)... Put another way, a lot of repeat during a couple of weeks is the best learning practice.
    Well I find I don’t need to practise lines in all keys because once they are assimilated I can usually play them correctly in any key anyway. As long as I’ve covered the differences across string sets etc. But maybe that’s just me, I seem to be able to play a lot of stuff by ear like that.

User Info Menu

Well I find I don’t need to practise lines in all keys because once they are assimilated I can usually play them correctly in any key anyway. As long as I’ve covered the differences across string sets etc. But maybe that’s just me, I seem to be able to play a lot of stuff by ear like that.

This kind of extensive all positions all keys practice is really for beginners or early intermediate so they can master the fretboard. This seems to be the case of the OP and myy reply wasn't meant for your own practice, given your level.