The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

I think it's less important in the short term to master the fretboard than it is to play musical phrases.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well in the long term both are needed anyway, for sure it's more fun to play phrases and more rewarding for beginners...

personnally I started this way when I began, i.e. playing phrases, but after a while I felt often stuck during jam sessions when I was unable to quickly locate some notes on some strings so I could start a nice phrase in the right key at the most appropriate position !!

Probably it depends upon how each one mind operates... I tend to be very organised ans systematic.
    Last edited by mhch; 09-13-2018 at 06:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Are you going to do a video on that, like playing slow with explanation?
    No, it's far too difficult. I'm no show-off

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    Well in the long term both are needed anyway, for sure it's more fun to play phrases and more rewarding for beginners...

personnally I started this way when I began, i.e. playing phrases, but after a while I felt often stuck during jam sessions when I was unable to quickly locate some notes on some strings so I could start a nice phrase in the right key at the most appropriate position !!

Probably it depends upon how each one mind operates... I tend to be very organised ans systematic.
    Yeah it goes back and forth. I think you have to keep working at the mapping as well as the music side of it.

User Info Menu

All good stuff

But what are people’s favourites? Which ones give you good bumps make you go “oh yeah”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

gggomez,

If you do a search on youtube for "guitar, 2 5 1" you'll find hundreds of examples.

I've done that and have my "go to" ones but I never really play them like the original once I understand why they work.

User Info Menu

You can transcribe my playing to find out what my favourites are.

Better still, transcribe someone actually good.

User Info Menu

That's funny because I wrote down on my "to do" that I'm going to transcribe that Lester Leaps in version you did in a supermarket! Will get around to it, love all the stuff you did on that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    gggomez,

If you do a search on youtube for "guitar, 2 5 1" you'll find hundreds of examples.

I've done that and have my "go to" ones but I never really play them like the original once I understand why they work.
    Yes but they are uncool.
    David Hamburger has some cool ones
    Do people not have their coolest hit list eg this Benson blues intro I transcribed so cool. Even the head I use in my improv

User Info Menu

Man, that is a great song. Here is the original. Thanks for introducing me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez

User Info Menu

Man, that is a great song. Here is the original. Thanks for introducing me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez

User Info Menu

For those interested Ritchie Zelon has a compliementary book on his website the 20th Century Guitar filled with ii v i lines of the greats that are relatively easy to dig into.

User Info Menu

I like something like Cannoball's playing from 0:55