The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32
    A drummer that I'm going to start jamming with wants to work on some triple meter and odd time stuff;
    Can someone point me to a list or name a few standards in these meters?

All I can think of is Waltz for Debby, and there's obviously Take Five and the other Brubeck stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gravy Waltz, Jitterbug Waltz, Little Niles, for a start.

User Info Menu

Just mentioned in the thread about chords that hang around for a while: Chick Corea's Windows (3/4)

To avoid the "Take Five ... Again?" phenomena, I prefer Desmond's Take Ten (which is in 5, the cheeky lad!)

User Info Menu

Of course: Bluesette.

User Info Menu

Wayne Shorter:

Footprints (3/4)
    Juju (3/4)
    Dance Cadaverous (3//4)

I really like D.C.

User Info Menu

emily is in 3/4, and tenderly sounds good in 3/4

User Info Menu

502 Blues - Shorter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    502 Blues - Shorter
    My Favorite Things
    Up Jumped Spring

User Info Menu

3/4 seems common enough. Anything in seven apart from ...

User Info Menu

It's quite easy to play ATTYA in 3. Also it can be played in 5 but I do not profess to being able to do that competently.

West Coast Blues is in 6 (or 3 I guess but I feel it in 6) yet is pretty tough to sound good on if you ask me. Inevitably someone will get lost...usually me lol.

Another cool tune in 3 - one which nobody plays but is a great tune - is on the Sidewinder album and is called "Boy What A Night". It's a 24 bar blues in 3, so sort of like West Coast Blues (which I think of as a 12 bar blues in 6)...but way easier to keep the form in my experience since it has more of a 3 feel (which sort of reduces to a "1" feel, you know?). That album also has "Gary's Notebook" which is another fun tune in 3 with quite an angular melody...far from a straight swinger.

User Info Menu

All Blues and Senor Blues both in 6/8. I've seen Nature Boy in both 3/4 and 4/4.

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein's Jive Coffee, a 'Tea for Two' contrafact in 5 has almost become a modern standard:

The Face I Love is a nice alternative to Bluesette:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SalvadorFoster2
    A drummer that I'm going to start jamming with wants to work on some triple meter and odd time stuff;
    Can someone point me to a list or name a few standards in these meters?

All I can think of is Waltz for Debby, and there's obviously Take Five and the other Brubeck stuff.
    Are you certain that he wasn't talking about playing "regular" standards in different meters?

User Info Menu

Two tunes written in 3/4, but usually played in 4/4:

Mac the Knife

In Other Words (better known as Fly Me To The Moon).

User Info Menu

Tenderly was written in 3/4

User Info Menu

Someday My Prince Will Come 3/4

Conference of The Birds 5/4

User Info Menu

Take any standard and perform it in any odd meter you want. Generally the only somewhat difficult part is adjusting the melody. But after you really begin to get your technical skills together with rhythm.... it becomes pretty easy to adjust melodies.

Once you have put in the time playing.... gigs etc... you'll start to look for more ways to have fun at gigs. Changing time sigs is one of the easier starts. It doesn't take long.

User Info Menu

I like Sweet Georgia Brown in 7

User Info Menu

I like To Know What I Am in 4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    mack the knife in 3/4? i find that hard to believe. got a source?
    I tried to find the 3/4 version and failed. I remember hearing one years ago and being told that it was the original. So, I figured, either memory has failed or the version I heard wasn't original.

Then, I found this:

Mack the Knife and other songs

User Info Menu

Minor Blues from Rosenwinkel. Not quite a standard yet perhaps but neat and pretty popular.
    Full House - Montgomery.

editops about the Minor blues... its your everyday 4/4
    I pondered a bit why this came up. I think it wasn't a brain fart but played a long time ago from a sheet that had the tune organized differently than 4/4. That ain't available when googling though.
    Last edited by emanresu; 08-06-2018 at 04:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Jitterbug Waltz, Fats Waller

User Info Menu

Falling in Love with Love was written in 3, even though most people play it in 4
    Blue Rondo a la Turk (in 9)
    Moon River (in 3)
    Alice in Wonderland (in 3)
    A Child is Born

John

User Info Menu

Yes... if you want more contemporary odd time tunes... check out,
    Sher's
    The All-Jazz Real Book and
    The European Real Book

I gig with one band that plays all the weird shit...
    check out Joe Locke's tunes, lot's of Them
    Alpha Punk
    Ruminations... very cool
    The Beauty Of All Things... vocal version by Kurt Ellings
    Don't Let it Go...Vincent Herring.... Two different feels, fun tune to play and solo on
    Come Escape With Me... Amina Figarova, ( here tunes are fun, very playable)
    Dreams... Billy Childs.... If your not hip to Billy Childs.... your in for a treat.
    I'll Remember August.... Ralph Towner
    Memory And Desire... Billy Childs again
    By Any Means Necessary... Florian Ross (most of his tunes are in odd times) check out "Platpus", crazy fun to read through, I arranged a big band version for one of the pro BB I used to perform with... they were ready to kill me.
    Dancing School... Alec Dankworth... mainly in 7/4
    A Place In The Sun...Mark Lockheart, (I love playing this tune.. really cool)

There are millions... sambas in 7/4 or 7/8 grooves are pretty standard and difficult at first.

Personally most tunes in this direction are for pretty hip audiences, can be tough to groove with. You need to really make them feel like they have a pocket, feel like you can almost lock in. If your solos get to complicated.... your not helping the listener.

Like I posted earlier... just play standards in different meters.