The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I'm just starting to learn jazz guitar. This progression is: Am -> E7 -> Am -> Am -> Eb7 -> Eb7 -> Am -> D7

The first question is: is it in key of G?
    And the second one is: what is the function of E7 and Eb7?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like it would be A minor, but it is a little weird as written.

The E7 is OK but kind of simple, might hear an E(#9) x7678x there...
    The Eb7 sounds off. Something that does go with Am that has an Eb on the bottom would be an F13/7 (or F13/Eb) like this x6776x as a sub for F9 x87888 or F13 x 8 7 8 8 10

User Info Menu

I think you are referring to the example 3 of exercise 3. I don't have the book available right now but I did a video a while back. Example 3 starts at 1:20 of this video which should give some aural context to the question for those that are giving answers:

Both using my ear and theory this is in the key of Am. It could also be analyzed as being in G as that D13b5b9 is really pulling towards a Gmaj7.

Without seeing the vanilla chords that Mickey is 'jazzing' up... In the key of Am. The Bbm7 - Bbm6 bit is over the Eb7 (correct me if I'm wrong). I hear it going out of the key at that point. And, I see it approaching back to Am7 from 1/2 step above which creates a dominant type of function.

The Bm7 - Bm6 bit is over the E7 (again correct me if I'm wrong). That is a dominant function, the dominant chord of Am is E7, Bm7 - Bm6 is a substitution for E7.

In the key of G. The Bbm7 - Bbm6 bit is over the Eb7 Again, I hear it going out of the key at that point. And, I see it approaching back to Am7 from 1/2 step above which creates a dominant type of function.

The Bm7 - Bm6 bit for the E7 . That is a dominant function of the Am, Am in the key G is the ii chord. E7 to Am can be analyzed as a V/ii (spoken as "five of two").

User Info Menu

one possible:
    it’s in G and the Eb7 is derived from the biiidim (Bb) which can function to pull to the ii

User Info Menu

Basically an A minor Blues I/V Eb is just a passing chord to IV D7

User Info Menu

I don't think of this Eb7 as a passing chord, it sits on that chord for two full measures.

User Info Menu

Augmented sixth

User Info Menu

Christian, could you be a little more cryptic please? haha jk, what do you mean?

User Info Menu

Augmented sixth - Wikipedia

Also beato explains

User Info Menu

Thanks man. They pre-dom chords, so we just sort of lumping the Am with D7? I can dig it.

User Info Menu

Just a chromatic two five is how I hear it. Check out the attached page on the triple box technique.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

The Eb7 is.

User Info Menu

Sorry what I posted was totally irelevant actually.

User Info Menu

right. the Eb7 is the aug 6, which is pre dominant chord that goes to a subdominant chord in this instance. So thats why i said about needing to lump the A minor in with the D7 for that particular analysis

User Info Menu

ooh! was my analysis right!?

User Info Menu

The main crux of the augmented sixth chord and the voice leading that comes along with the terminology is that the #6 (b7) resolves upwards. This aug sixth concept is more of a voice leading thing then a chord function (roman numeral analysis) thing. A bVI7 chord is not really an aug 6th chord.

User Info Menu

Eb7 is the tritone sub of A7, A7 is the V of D7. It's just going to the V chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bediles
    The main crux of the augmented sixth chord and the voice leading that comes along with the terminology is that the #6 (b7) resolves upwards. This aug sixth concept is more of a voice leading thing then a chord function (roman numeral analysis) thing. A bVI7 chord is not really an aug 6th chord.
    OTOH Jazz musicians do not in general give a shit about enharmony...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    OTOH Jazz musicians do not in general give a shit about enharmony...

But I thought there were 30 keys??

User Info Menu

You’d have to lump the ii chord in with the V for that analysis also, fep. you good with that?

User Info Menu

If it’s good enough for Peter Bernstein and Barry Harris it’s good enough for me

User Info Menu

I dunno about PB, but Barry Harris talks about going or pulling to a 2 chord. but yeah definitely screw ii chord fo soloing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    You’d have to lump the ii chord in with the V for that analysis also, fep. you good with that?
    Yes,turning a V into a ii V is a common embellishment and is probably the most common thing Mickey Baker does is the book.

User Info Menu

honestly I was just hoping someone would tell me I did a good job on my initial stab because I never got enough encouragement from adults

User Info Menu

right. the Eb7 is the aug 6, which is pre dominant chord that goes to a subdominant chord in this instance. So thats why i said about needing to lump the A minor in with the D7 for that particular analysis

I think D major in these kind of changes in minor keys originally come from folk modality... through folk and urban song it came into cabaret and pop music in Europe, I think especially in Nrothern Europe... it's folk A Dorian... lots of folk music is based on it.
    To me this D7 is functioning like Dorian dominant.

As per Eb7 - can you tell me where is the aug6?