The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

It isn’t I got it wrong

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I haven't had time to read the comments - I'll come back to that later. But I see the Eb7 as a tritone V for A7 leading to D. But before we get there, the hinted at A7 turns into a ii minor for a 251 in G.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I haven't had time to read the comments - I'll come back to that later. But I see the Eb7 as a tritone V for A7 leading to D.
    You see my ear associates triton sub as something with strong dominant function feel... Otherwise I do not see much sense in triton sub as theoretic conception,
    here I do not really hear it.

But before we get there, the hinted at A7 turns into a ii minor for a 251 in G.
    I though that first too..
    But not in this context really. It's A minor with Dorian D major chord

User Info Menu

Where do you get Dorian D Major?? Seems like a contradiction in terms.

User Info Menu

I haven't had time to read the comments - I'll come back to that later. But I see the Eb7 as a tritone V for A7 leading to D. But before we get there, the hinted at A7 turns into a ii minor for a 251 in G.
    In which case it the same sort of thing as what joe was saying.

Personally I feel the whole thing is to devoid of harmonic context to talk about Aug 6.

But you can always do a tritone sub

User Info Menu

Where do you get Dorian D Major?? Seems like a contradiction in terms.

Sorry I just did not express it clearly

this is what I wrote just before this

I think D major in these kind of changes in minor keys originally come from folk modality... through folk and urban song it came into cabaret and pop music in Europe, I think especially in Nrothern Europe... it's folk A Dorian... lots of folk music is based on it.
    To me this D7 is functioning like Dorian dominant.
    So it is A Dorian as in folk music (not quite jazz Chord Scale Thing) and D major is sort of dominant (you can say it's subdominant - but I's rather say it functions similar to dominant)

User Info Menu

Joe, nice voice leading in the top voice on those chords. Both chord progressions that you played are identical essentially, they just differ in which extension (or lack of) that you chose to use for the melody. E7b9 (Bdim7, E7b9/B, all the same).

I don't mean to be pushy (repost... eeeeep) but check out this page discussing the triple box technique, which really is just a way at looking at tritone subs and where dominant chord can lead to. Many tunes have circle of 4th motion (V to I, VI to II etc) between the dominants but then the companion IImi7 chords are played in the progression before the V... no big deal.

Also, this is a little chord exercise out of a book (which could just be a snippet of a full progression, which leads to all this confusion). maybe analyzing a real tune could be more useful. The thread is going to go off the rails with this A Dorian modal talk which is something else entirely (tritones signify keys BTW)

*the page could be sideways, hopefully not
    Attached Images Attached Images Mickey Baker lesson 3: how to explain the third progression?-tb-picture-time-jpg