The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    A look a bit from the other side...

try to play what you practice - the lines first of all... as very very staccato... as much staccato as possible...
    At a slow tempo.. then progress keeping it staacato
    Pretty interesting, I'll give it a try!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know I need to play more with a metronome or perhaps a drum track especially with slow ballads. I know when I play in a duo situation quite often those slow tunes do not seem to be all that slow when we get to the end of the tune.

User Info Menu

I think with metronome it is important to understand its abstact nature... music is not abstract - it is defined by its inner structure and how performer feels understands and expresses it. And metronome has notheing to do with music...
    So if we come to using it, we should clearly understand that we lead it not metronome.

I do not remeber who said it: if you play with a metronome, make the metronome swing)))

PS
    Honestly I am personally strictly against metronome in classical practice because classical time is much more flexible than jazz or rock (I tried but I could not figure out how to use it in classical practice without doing more damage than help).

But in jazz pop and rock it turned out to be helpful - when used with reason and understanding.

User Info Menu

I know I need to play more with a metronome or perhaps a drum track especially with slow ballads. I know when I play in a duo situation quite often those slow tunes do not seem to be all that slow when we get to the end of the tune.
    Who really cares?

Check the tempo at the begining and at the end on this record.. (and if wereally notice this change when we listen to it as we should - consequently)))

User Info Menu

130-150 bps is an abnormally fast pace even for bebop. Most songs are between 100-120bps. Stay away from the instructionals and use that metronome as a drum for songs.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Who really cares?

Check the tempo at the begining and at the end on this record.. (and if wereally notice this change when we listen to it as we should - consequently)))
    Here’s another example, much faster at the beginning than later on:

User Info Menu

OT - but check out the way Cannoball lands on B on a Gm11 chord at the end of his first phrase... Why does it sound so good haha?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    OT - but check out the way Cannoball lands on B on a Gm11 chord at the end of his first phrase... Why does it sound so good haha?
    Not sure where you mean, at that brief pause about 6 notes in, he stopped on a C. Did you mean later in that line?

User Info Menu

You get some major sounds when McCoy Tyner does those minor modal vamps with Coltrane. E.g. the key might be D minor but he vamps with alternating Dm9 and Em9 chords (plus other extensions), so you often hear an F# in the second chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Not sure where you mean, at that brief pause about 6 notes in, he stopped on a C. Did you mean later in that line?

Bar 8. I see that all as one long phrase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oneofthe
    130-150 bps is an abnormally fast pace even for bebop.
    Cheers.

Seeing as a hummingbird's wings beat from 10 -15 bps and you can't even see their wings at that speed, yes 130 -150 bps is abnormally fast.

If you meant 130 -150 as a quarter note metronome setting, that's not considered fast for bebop. A 300 metronome setting is fast for bebop but not abnormally fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You get some major sounds when McCoy Tyner does those minor modal vamps with Coltrane. E.g. the key might be D minor but he vamps with alternating Dm9 and Em9 chords (plus other extensions), so you often hear an F# in the second chord.
    Yes I noticed that

Think how much better these musicians would have been if they’d kept to correct chord scale relationships /s/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darvil
    Thanks. I apologize if this will sound like a stupid question, but: what's the benefit of doing that?
    Tonight I'll try, I swear , but I would like to understand what I'll be doing.
    The purpose of the metronome is to provide a check on how well you have internalized the time. Setting the metronome to one or twice per measure, or even once per two measures forces you to internalize.

User Info Menu

Maybe check out the metronome bootcamp on the Fretboard Anatomy web site. It helped me with my metronome use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Also Miles lands on a big fat juicy B in his solo at about 2:12.

User Info Menu

Yeah I did my own transcription of that line (well I listened to it and then played it on my guitar), i never rely on other people’s, was just a handy source to illustrate my point. I hear the same as you.

It’s amazing the mistakes you come across even in published sources. (Of course I never ever make mistakes. :-))

It is actually Am7 on that measure, cos of the riff. Good point.

We can also relate that move into Ebm to the Am7 chord via D7.

You are right: It’s not that discussed but jazz musicians of this era and earlier often viewed the ii chord as being kind of a Dorian even in the minor key. Charlie Christian did this. Grahambop mentioned McCoy Tyner.