The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: How well do you want to play (not just for those getting started)

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just want to have fun and play jazzy stuff

26 22.61%
  • I want to play as well as I can with X amount of practicing

45 39.13%
  • I want to be able to hang with the best players in town

37 32.17%
  • I want to be a world class musician

19 16.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 103

User Info Menu

I want to be able to hang with the best players in town. But it should be noted that I live in a town of 10,000 people, and approximately 3 of those people play jazz.

It seems that the more I learn, and better I get, the more fun I'm able to have playing. Having more options, having the ability to think less and play more...these kinds of things make playing music more enjoyable.

At 41, my chances of "making it" at anything are slim. So I guess I just want to keep getting better so it keeps being more fun.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    If the game is to be a little better tomorrow than I was yesterday, then I'm still in the game. I haven't been benched yet. And that's good enough for me. It's a good game.
    What happens when you play a bad gig though? Happens to me sometimes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What happens when you play a bad gig though? Happens to me sometimes...
    You call a new play and you try and not get sacked again.

User Info Menu

How do you know it’s a bad gig? That’s the interesting thing actually....

User Info Menu

Your bar bill is more than you made.

User Info Menu

Those are the ones when I play best though ha ha

User Info Menu

Although the self assessment might be faulty depending on the shortfall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I perform best at venues where only a half a dozen people show up and they are barely paying attention to the players.
    You mean a jazz club?

User Info Menu

When I go to the jazz jams in my city I consistently realize I am performing for my own ego. I wish I could stop that. I want to get my head in a place where I am sharing the pleasure of pure ambient creation - making a contribution to the universe through giving people music to distract them from the weight of the world and maybe providing some inspiration to a younger struggling player.

User Info Menu

When the thought crosses your mind?

It is interesting....when YOU know it's a bad gig it's pretty bad. When OTHERS know it's a bad gig, it's REALLY bad.

User Info Menu

If I could just be a little better than I am now... I've been thinking that for 30 years!

User Info Menu

Oh I dunno, I think in general I have no idea whether I’ve played well or not.

Try recording every time you play, give the recordings random names so you don’t know which are which and see if you spot which ones are the bad gigs 6 months later, from the perspective of your playing.

You may we’ll find as I did, that you are a hilariously poor judge of your own performance in the moment.

All things being equal, what makes a bad gig for me is purely subjective. I might make mistakes that seem huge to me one night and barely important another night.

It’s difficult (for me) but necessary to never inflict ones subjective analysis of the gig on other players. They don’t want to know. Never apologise your playing, for instance. All it does is annoy other musicians.

Lack of preparation is an issue, and will make me play worse. So if I don’t look at the tunes, I will have a bad, or at least very stressful gig. It’s not always possible to prepare, but in general this is under my control.

External factors (bad sound, underrehearsal of the whole band, poor drummers etc) can make for a bad gig but you have no control over them.

User Info Menu

I'd like to play like I'm ringing a bell !

Go go !

User Info Menu

I want to be as good as I'm capable of being, and I have somewhat high expectations about that.

I've played with some of the local pros, and I know that I have a long way to go, but I also know that I don't (usually) embarrass myself, so I think my expectations are realistic.

I'm not in any hurry, though. I think in the past I've tried to cover so much material that I end up learning ABOUT a lot of stuff but not really LEARNING all that much. So my plan (maybe call it a "resolution") is to slow down. Learn one new thing at a time, and take the time to really integrate it into my playing.

User Info Menu

Lots of good responses here. Thanks for all the healthy input. As I said at the top, I don’t think there are any wrong answers. There are lots of ways to be a musician.

A lot of people seem to just want to enjoy playing. I think we all want that. For some it means making the most of what you’ve got; for others it’s about constant improvement.

Fep says, “I accept that I am what I am and I'm just going to enjoy my hobby of playing guitar.” Sounds healthy to me. Flat agreed: “I just want to enjoy music. Get a little closer to the heart of it all.”

Whether it’s about gaining chops or just being real, you can’t argue with wanting to get closer to the heart.

Docbop says, “I want to be the best me that I can.” Kris says, “I want to be a good musician. That's all.” Dana says, “I want to be the best musician I can be.” Mr. Beaumont says, “The journey is the destination.”

Smokinguit says, “I just want to keep the music alive and have fun while doing it. Therefore, the time I spend in the woodshed will be time well-spent.” Emanresu said, “I only want to have fun and also that each time my solo would be good and meaningful.”

Healthy attitudes all. You guys need some angst in your lives. But it’s hard to argue with wanting your playing to be “good and meaningful.” Way better than fast and flashy.

Others seem to be after continuous improvement. Michael Kaye say, “If the game is to be a little better tomorrow than I was yesterday, then I'm still in the game.”

Morroben says, “I just want to keep getting better so it keeps being more fun.”

Rlrhett says, “If I could just be a little better than I am now... I've been thinking that for 30 years!”

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that for even longer.

Cosmic gumbo said, “A harsh reality check for me involved working very hard… in hopes of hanging with the big boys in my area, only to find out that there was nothing serious going on in my area.”

Yeah, some people spend $120,000 on a degree before finding that out. Some people talk about “creating a scene” with a community of musicians. I used to think that was naive, but some very good musicians in my area have done just that and the music scene is picking up here. Easier said than done, but I’ve seen it happen.

Then there are the people who are shooting for a specific level of improvement.

Gggomez says, “I want, desperately want, to be good enough to have a regular gig and to be able to sit in at at call.”

Rpjazzguitar says, “my goal has been to be a good enough player that people I admire would call me for gigs.”

That’s one that I share. I’m not sure if it’s ego or creative ambition, but I think it can be channeled in a positive and creative way. Hope so, anyway.

Clebergf says, “I really want to be good enough to play at high level, to have confidence in playing whatever the situation.”

Yeah, I think we could all do with a little more healthy confidence (as opposed to ego-driven playing).

I like what MarkRhodes said
    : “What I can do is keep up what chops I have, learn some new tunes… and give myself some challenges so I feel like I'm improving, that's plenty for me. (Sometimes "improving" amounts to going back and getting some basic thing down, really down, for the first time.)”

Yeah, if I can keep my chops as good as they’ve ever been (they’re often not) and keep moving forward with new tunes and new challenges, I feel like I’m doing it right.

NSJ wants to, “develop a repertoire of hundreds of songs that will readily available at any given moment automatically without charts.”

Man, I’m with you on that. A long, ongoing process, but so worthwhile.

Easy2grasp says, “I am very self-critical and since I judge myself so harshly I envision others at my performance doing the same.”

I’ve struggled with being self-critical too. In some sense you have to look at your playing critically, but you also have to let go of the habit of constantly judging your playing while you’re doing it. I’m working on that. Playing without ego. Easier said than done. But I think it’s a big necessary thing to overcome in order to be your best.

Boston Joe said, “I want to be as good as I'm capable of being… I'm not in any hurry, though. I think in the past I've tried to cover so much material that I end up learning ABOUT a lot of stuff but not really LEARNING all that much. So my plan (maybe call it a "resolution") is to slow down. Learn one new thing at a time, and take the time to really integrate it into my playing.

This is something that Corey Christiansen (a great instructor) emphasizes. I think it’s a hugely important point. The trick is finding the balance between being thorough without getting bogged down, but it’s something to shoot for. I wish I was better with this.

Finally, Pingu would like to, “play like I'm ringing a bell !”

Like Johnny B. Goode. A fine aspiration.

User Info Menu

I think there are wrong answers actually. Ones that may lead to poor emotional and mental health.

User Info Menu

I think there are wrong answers actually. Ones that may lead to poor emotional and mental health.
    All great art involves risk.

User Info Menu

Not anything I’ve seen here I hasten to add

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    All great art involves risk.
    I know this is a jokey response, but I would rather encourage positive mental habits in myself and those who are unlucky enough to be influenced by me.

I think you can be massively productive and motivated and be so for healthy reasons.

We know many who have fallen by the wayside. I feel it’s not really a joking matter.

On top of that, the human species has a regrettable tendency to ascribe success to hard-work and failure to misfortune. More often than we like the opposite is true.

Deal with what you can control, don’t seek to govern that which you cannot, and maintain wisdom to tell the difference.

That’s my goal.

User Info Menu

I know this is a jokey response, but I would rather encourage positive mental habits in myself and those who are unlucky enough to be influenced by me.

I think you can be massively productive and motivated and be so for healthy reasons.

We know many who have fallen by the wayside. I feel it’s not really a joking matter.
    True dat

On top of that, the human species has a regrettable tendency to ascribe success to hard-work and failure to misfortune. More often than we like the opposite is true.
    Yes ... In folklore it is greatly underestimated how random life really can be

Deal with what you can control, don’t seek to govern that which you cannot, and maintain wisdom to tell the difference.
    Indeed!

User Info Menu

My goals are to keep improving, learning new things, and to always be in love with guitar and music. Hopefully give something to others through playing and teaching too. I think it s important to be at peace with yourself, your life, your passions, your choices and your priorities, and never lose touch with the simple pleasure of playing the guitar. Music can give you a lot of pleasure and a lot of disappointment as well, i just leave the bad behind and keep playing

User Info Menu

Bloody hell I was grumpy last night.

User Info Menu

My playing goal long term is probably to ride this train and see where it goes.

I want to continue to improve as a player and I feel that I am making progress. There are lots of really clear, measurable things I can do in support of that basic goal - improvement.

User Info Menu

Bloody hell I was grumpy last night.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I stopped caring how good I am. These I just like owning nice guitars