The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I am having trouble memorizing all the notes in every key.
    any tips or something to help me memorize them?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is how I learned them. Everyday for about two weeks I would sit down and write out each and every scale while totally concentrating on each note.
    C maj scale CDEFGABC,
    F maj scale FGA(Bb)CDEF etc.
    You can say them aloud or in your head as long as you don't fluff it off as some boring chore. Sounds dumb but it worked for me and 35 plus years later I can still rip them off without hesitation. Takes about 10-15 minutes out of your day. Just don't let your mind wander off.
    Hope that helps,
    Rich

User Info Menu

Here's 3 that are simple:

C = all the notes are natural
    C# = all the notes are sharp
    Cb = all the notes are flat

There is an order to the sharps and flats.

FCGDAEB = order of sharps
    Notice how they follow the circle of 5ths.

BEADGCF = Order of flats
    Notice how they follow the circle of 4ths

But I agree 110% with Patriots2006. Write them out. Then write out the harmonic minor and melodic minor as well.

User Info Menu

Faulty Condoms Give Doreen An Easy Baby

Battle Ends and Down Goes Charles' Father

User Info Menu

I have been taught to learn everything, from chords to scales to licks, etc, around the circle of 4ths. I was also taught to learn the notes of each key around the same circle.

As pointed out, C has no # or b, moving to F there is one flat, which is the next key in the circle, Bb. You keep adding flats as you go around, and the flat you add is the 4th, the next key.

Once you get to the bottom of the circle and to B, it has all sharps except the next key, E. You start taking away sharps as you move around, and the sharp that you take away is the next key in the circle, until you take them all away, back at C. Hope this makes sense.

User Info Menu

---------------B#-----------------------E#--------------------
    A---A#---B---C---C#---D---D#---E---F---F#---G---G#---A
    A---Bb---B---C---Db---D----Eb----E---F---Gb---G---Ab---A
    ----------Cb-------------------------Fb------------------------

Several methods can get you there. This one is a build it yourself approach.
    Memorize the various sharp and flat spellings of the chromatic scale.

Apply this interval formula.
    1-2--3--4--5--6--7--8
    -W-W-H-W--W-W-H

each scale spelling has one note representing each letter.

Ex. Ab

starting template
    Ab B C D E F G Ab

now apply formula

Ab to what kind of B is a whole step
    That would be Bb
    Bb to what kind of C is a whole step
    C natural
    C to D I need a half step
    Db
    etc.
    leading to Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Not the quickest path to memorization but this one builds interval knowledge.

Not recommending this over the other methods, just presenting another option.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I have been taught to learn everything, from chords to scales to licks, etc, around the circle of 4ths. I was also taught to learn the notes of each key around the same circle.

As pointed out, C has no # or b, moving to F there is one flat, which is the next key in the circle, Bb. You keep adding flats as you go around, and the flat you add is the 4th, the next key.

Once you get to the bottom of the circle and to B, it has all sharps except the next key, E. You start taking away sharps as you move around, and the sharp that you take away is the next key in the circle, until you take them all away, back at C. Hope this makes sense.
    I too prefer to think in terms of the Circle, mine being the plain old Circle of 5ths. Go up a 5th for sharps or down a 4th for flats.

After a while you can jump around the circle, knowing perhaps the key of A has 3 sharps so E must have 4. Or Bb has 2 flats so Eb must have 3.

User Info Menu

I will try to attach the circle of 5ths. You start with C at the top of the circle (no flats or sharps) and you add one sharp as you move around the circle clockwise until you get to the bottom. As you go up the other side you take away flats. It will make sense when you see it and really helped me learn what was sharp in flat in what key. It also helps in putting together chord progressions, etc.

User Info Menu

This also might be useful:

Just remember the C maj scale in thirds (arpeggiated): C E G B D F A

If you just memorize that sequence of notes, then with a bit of mental gymnastics practiced away from the guitar, you can figure out any other arpeggio and just add the sharps or flats as required.

I should add that you should first learn the circle or fifths/fourths so that you have a good idea which keys have how many sharps or flats.

So if you want to know what a F7 chord is, just start from F and work from there:

1) F A C E G B D
    2) F has one flat (Bb)
    3) F A C E G Bb D
    4) 7th chord needs a flat 7th
    5) F A C Eb G Bb D

Obviously this takes a little longer with more sharps/flats and adding alterations becomes it more compicated, but for basic chord-building in my head I have found it works well.

User Info Menu

I have several tips, here is one of them:

1: for sharp keys memorize the order of sharps in the key signature.

C = no sharps
    G = one sharp F#
    D = two sharps F# C#
    etc.

Which can be learned by remembering this mnemonic for the order of sharps (this is also the circle of fifths going clockwise):

Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Baloney

And the related key is 1/2 step above the last sharp...

So, what are the notes of E major?

E is 1/2 step above D#, so looking at the mnemonic you'll see that E has 4 #s - F# C# G# D#, so the notes of E major are: E F# G# A B C# D# E.

Try it yourself...

What are the notes for F# major?

The wife is calling, go to go. I'll show this same thing in flat keys later today.

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

The continuation of my previous post tip 2:

Flat keys, learn the order of flats in the key signature (circle of fifths counter clockwise) - B E A D G C F:

BEAD Gum Candy Fruit

Know that F has one flat - Bb. The rest of the flat keys are the second to last flat in the key signature.

So what are the notes of Eb?

Eb is the second to last flat in the key signature, so using our order of flats and going one past Eb we get the key signature of Bb Eb Ab. So, the notes of Eb major are Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb.

Your quiz... What are the notes of Db major?

P.S. Do you know how to find the notes of the minor scales using the 'Relative Minor' concept?

User Info Menu

And the way I really know the notes of a scale.

I'll backup a bit. In my ear training class for my tests the teacher would say, "Sing the notes of F# minor?" or even "Sing the notes of G melodic minor?" etc.

The instructor would give me the first note and I had to sing the notes of the scale while singing the letter names of the notes. There was not time to deduce the scale by going thru the circle of fifths or the mnemonics, it was expected that I had memorized all the scales.

Tip 3, how guitarists can remember the notes of a scale:

So I just visualized the scale pattern on my guitar as I was singing the letter names.

After all we are guitarists and we already know the scale patterens and we know all the notes on the fretboard... right?

So I found this was by far the quickest way of remembering the notes of a scale... unless you want to memorize all the notes of every scale.

User Info Menu

One way to remember the notes on the guitar fretboard is to learn the line of fifths. The line of fifths is the following sequence of notes: F, C, G, D, A, E, B…. It is identical to the well known circle of fifths, but can be more useful in practice. The possibilities are unbounded! A guitarist who knows the line of fifths will be well on their way to learning the notes on the fretboard. One can memorize the line of fifths using the following phrase:

F, C, G, D, A, E, B (Line of fifths -- Compare this to the circle of fifths)
    Memory Phrase (acronym): “Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle.”
    B , E, A, D, G, C, F (Line of fifths backwards -- is even more useful)

User Info Menu

I'm not sure learning every note in every key is such a good idea. You are going to get so bogged down, it will pull you away from 'playing'. A quicker way is:

1) To know a major and/or minor scale shape and be able to move it up or down the neck.
    2) Learn how to spell chords (Dm7=DFAC) when learning a new tune. Eventually know them in popular keys (C, Eb, F, G, Bb).
    3) Learn to visualize the neck, chord shapes, scales and arpeggios.

Your knowledge of the neck with build with time. This is much more intuitive, and will dramatically cut down time in wasteful memorizing.

User Info Menu

I remember the notes of the keys by thinking about the modes of the C major scale. For instance, A Aeolian has three "flat" degrees, b3, b6, b7. For the A major scale, you have to sharp the 3rd, 6th, and 7th degrees to get A major. For F Lydian, with a #4 you need to flatten the 4th degree (Bb) to get F major. I believe the flat keys are the inverse, so for Ab, you would need 1, 2, 4, 5 to be flat since 3, 6, 7 are sharp in A. Ultimately, I think you want to drill yourself so it becomes more of an instinct.