The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Here's something to ponder. All root-based single-octave major scales begin (and end) with either the 2nd or 4th finger when following standard fingerings for CAGED forms. Note how the order alternates between 2-4 and 4-2 as you climb the neck:

Sid Jacobs Three Octave Scale Fingerings-gsym1-jpg

Take any of these forms and shift with the outside fingers (1 & 4) wherever a full tone appears to create a symmetrical major scale where any particular note is always played with the same finger. Here are two examples from the 5th string root:

Sid Jacobs Three Octave Scale Fingerings-gsym2-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How do people like to shift when descending?

User Info Menu

With the 1st finger ascending and the 4th finger descending as shown here. Miles Okazaki mentions that as his default in his Fundamentals of Guitar book when dealing with chromatics and I use the same approach as a general rule. As he puts it:

"This way, the motion of the doubling finger always contracts, pulling in toward the hand, which is stronger and more natural than stretching and pulling away".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    With the 1st finger ascending and the 4th finger descending as shown here. Miles Okazaki mentions that as his default in his Fundamentals of Guitar book when dealing with chromatics and I use the same approach as a general rule. As he puts it:

"This way, the motion of the doubling finger always contracts, pulling in toward the hand, which is stronger and more natural than stretching and pulling away".
    That explanation would be good if hand would stay in place, while you'd only move previously stretched finger back into position.
    I do not feel like that is what is going on.
    For me, it is natural to fire all relevant fingers in position, than slide whole hand. Effectively, the opposite of what Okazaki recommends.

Of course, Okazaki probably knows better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB

So he doesn't shift the whole hand? I'm confused...

User Info Menu

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, Okazaki is referring to a fixed position where chromatic notes lie either side. The diagrams and observations in the initial post are my own and put together while doing assorted other things without a guitar in hand. Looking back at it now, I meant to notate it as Vladan recommends when moving out of position. Either way, symmetrical fingerings will result. I was simply interested in the mechanics behind Jacob's scale forms and discovered an alternate method of creating them that offered a few more possibilities.

Here's an amended version:
    Sid Jacobs Three Octave Scale Fingerings-gsym2-jpeg

User Info Menu

Below link will redirect you to post on my BlogSpo page
    This is the link to post on my BlogSpot page: Shapes for what I think Sid Jacobs is talking about, Major scale only

Above link will redirect you to post on my BlogSpo page

Notes:

1. While Jacobs mentions only index finger sliding, my diagrams are for sliding both index, or pinky
    2. Number of notes per string alternate from 4 to 3, or 3 to 4, between adjacent strings
    3. Sliding is used to play 4 notes per string
    4. Sliding is not used to play 3 notes per string

Ultra Low Res Preview:
    Attached Images Attached Images Sid Jacobs Three Octave Scale Fingerings-uniform-fingering-pattern-shapes-major-scale-c-ss-jpg