The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I started looking at the Augmented scale after someone on this forum mentioned that it was a favourite of Miles Davis during his electric period. I am a bit confused as I have found several scales being referred to as the Augmented scale.

I found a scale I had learned as the whole tone scale was also referred to as the Augmented scale. In C:

C D E F# G# A# C

Then I discovered this variation, also called the Augmented scale, which actually seems to bring me closer to the sound of On The Corner/Agharta Miles, with the wah wah! Again in C it is:

C Eb E G G# B C

Also there is another I found called the Leading Whole Tone scale, which just adds a passing note to the Whole Tone/Augmented scale I mentioned first.

C D E F# G# A# B C

Could someone please clarify the terminology?

Thanks
    Last edited by Babaluma; 01-20-2017 at 01:48 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've only seen the second scale (C Eb E G G# B C) called the augmented scale. One cool thing about it is all the Maj7 chords:

C E G B
    E G# B D#
    Ab C E G

(You can replay Maj7 with min(Maj7) and say the same thing.)

I think the confusion is partly because the wholetone scale (
    C D E F# G# A# C) has always been used against the augmented chord, C7#5.

And the wholetone scale with the leading tone is just a fancy version, trying to break the Bambi-like ambiguity of a symmetric scale. Where's the tonic?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I've only seen the second scale (C Eb E G G# B C) called the augmented scale. One cool thing about it is all the Maj7 chords:

C E G B
    E G# B D#
    Ab C E G

And the wholetone scale with the leading tone is just a fancy version, trying to break the Bambi-like ambiguity of a symmetric scale. Where's the tonic?
    This is very helpful thanks, infact I am going to write this in my work book as a reminder.

User Info Menu

It's the second one.

User Info Menu

the Bambi-like ambiguity

User Info Menu

It's sometimes called the "augmented symmetric scale," and is a minor third followed by a half step (ascending). It's two augmented triads a half step apart (C E G#, Eb G B).

There are only four augmented scales, so go for it.

User Info Menu

Another 'vote' here for the second one...thats the only one I know called 'the augmented scale' - I know the first just as the whole tone scale and the third one seems to be an augmented scale with a chromatic passing noted added.

User Info Menu

C E G B
    E G# B D#
    Ab C E G

the augmented scale is a hexatonic (six tone) scale C Eb E G Ab B it is a symmetrical scale that repeats every four frets..there are only four augmented scales C Db D Eb -- and each scale contains three major and three minor triads:

C E G
    C Eb G
    E Ab B
    E G B
    Ab C Eb
    Ab B Eb

This scale is one of the major studies that John Coltrane used in the tune Giant Steps and others .. it is seemless and can be used in many different ways..changing between the embedded chords of the scale itself can be the source of many melodic and harmonic ideas..yes it has ambiguous qualities and that can be a very positive aspect as you may morph tonal centers without any preparation and it is not a shock to the system..

Cycle through all four scales and their chords will open your ears to many possibilities..play the scale and chords in intervals and in arpeggio style and you begin to hear the appeal of this wonderful scale...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    It's sometimes called the "augmented symmetric scale," and is a minor third followed by a half step (ascending). It's two augmented triads a half step apart (C E G#, Eb G B).
    Or two augmented triads a minor third apart?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy

User Info Menu

Or a semitone apart

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Binyomin
    Or 5th/ 4th.

VladanMovies BlogSpot

User Info Menu

I - II - III - +IV - +V - VI - VII

Here you go, the real Lydian Augmented

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma
    I started looking at the Augmented scale after someone on this forum mentioned that it was a favourite of Miles Davis during his electric period. I am a bit confused as I have found several scales being referred to as the Augmented scale.
    I'd love to hear electric Miles using this scale, any suggestions of recorded examples? Thanks!

User Info Menu

The thing that everyone seems to overlook is that the whole tone scale above also works for C7b5.

User Info Menu

I wonder how many were used by Debussey?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I wonder how many were used by Debussey?
    That wholetone + leading tone scale must be classical only, eh?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    The thing that everyone seems to overlook is that the whole tone scale above also works for C7b5.
    The other thing people overlook is that it also works for Gmin(maj7)