The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68
    Thanks for the tip rirhett, will look them up! Teles for so many yrs. that I guess I want to treat myself at my old age. A boat load to choose from!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You say you have 'plenty of teles'.

Imo, just use the guitar you have now. You don't need a guitar that looks like a jazz guitar or gives you a jazz guitar sound, whatever that is, to learn to play jazz.

You want a guitar that feels like a high end guitar eventually.

And only when you do gigs, you want a setup that gives you the right sound, and amp plays the biggest effect here.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeisan
    You say you have 'plenty of teles'.

Imo, just use the guitar you have now. You don't need a guitar that looks like a jazz guitar or gives you a jazz guitar sound, whatever that is, to learn to play jazz.

You want a guitar that feels like a high end guitar eventually.

And only when you do gigs, you want a setup that gives you the right sound, and amp plays the biggest effect here.
    True, I do have a few teles, but you have to understand that at my old age> its a bucket list thing! In three yrs Ill be 70. Im not sure im gonna make that number. So a Jazz guitar it is!

User Info Menu

a few days ago I tried Burny copy of es-175... I think it was modified (the pickguard is wooden - I don;t think they did wooden pickguads?) and it's the old one... but it was really very good...

funny thing is that it belongs to a professional guiatrist who told me that he just bought it occasionally a few years ago for about 500 dollars just because he liked it very much and he plays it all exclusively though he owns real ES-175))))

Edwards (ESP) copy of Gibsons seemed also very good to me but I tried only ES-335 copy...

I own Epi Broadway (it's close to L-5 by design) - (Korean one) - despite of all the critics to Epi this one I own is constructed very well... but I think it depends.
    (by the way the loudest cheap archtop I evere heard (sounds like solid top) you can easily practice and I even jammed at home with other players unplugged).

Epi Joe Pass wich is close to ES-175 I did not like ... but as I said it differs probably from copy to copy...

But I thinkl if you're in the USA you might have more options that here in Europe for used jazz guitars

User Info Menu

Bear in mind with cheaper guitars you may find a gem every so often, but you can't guarantee the same level of quality. You really have to play them. Lots of them. Be the guitar shop pest.

christianm77 both you and Jonah make perfect sense! Since its the 4th of July im heading into Phoenix to see what Sam Ash might have, and then hit a few of the mom and pops stores. I plan on going to Tucson on Friday to see what Rainbow guitars might have! Thanks to you all!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Bear in mind with cheaper guitars you may find a gem every so often, but you can't guarantee the same level of quality. You really have to play them. Lots of them. Be the guitar shop pest.
    I could not agree more! When I said you couldn't go wrong with those entry-mid level Asian guitars, I meant they all have excellent examples if you try several out. That is true with almost any mid-level factory guitar. There can be huge variability in Martin D-18's, for example.

A more accurate statement is: you can be very happy with the right one of any of these guitars, assuming you find one you like. Finding a good Ibanez AFJ will suit you better than a mediocre Eastman 810, and vice versa. My suggestion is don't be too worried about the brand or model. Within this wide group find the one instrument that speaks to you, rather than the one make and model.

User Info Menu

Cnote: one more word of caution about full bodied, hollowbodies. They're a lot harder on your back than the thinner semi-solids like my Sheri-IIs. As you referred to your age (similar to mine), I thought I'd mention it. Good hunting in Phoenix and Tucson.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman AR 371 and love it. I bought it through Guitars N Jazz in New Jersey. They have a great website and other brands that are in the same ballpark costwise. Lou is the guy you will deal with and he was very helpful. They shipped it to my front door and the transaction was very smooth. I would highly recommend them.

User Info Menu

Slap a set of flatwounds on your Tele! Thomastik-Infeld Swings .011 should do the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Slap a set of flatwounds on your Tele! Thomastik-Infeld Swings .011 should do the trick.
    I use .13s!

Raaarrr!

Sounds good though..

Well, I wen t out and picked up some 12 and put them on my tele today Now it sounds like a fat muddy tele. I sure didn't get that woody archtop tone. Im buying a jazz box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cnote
    Well, I wen t out and picked up some 12 and put them on my tele today Now it sounds like a fat muddy tele. I sure didn't get that woody archtop tone. Im buying a jazz box.
    A Tele sounds good, but it doesn't sound like an archtop, especially if you are trying to comp a Swing rhythm *chunk*, *chunk* ... you need an archtop for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    A Tele sounds good, but it doesn't sound like an archtop, especially if you are trying to comp a Swing rhythm *chunk*, *chunk* ... you need an archtop for that.
    And that's what im shooting for. Thanks BigDaddyLH!

User Info Menu

You are not going to be happy until you do! Even if a Tele DID sound the same, most of us don't buy guitars as practical noise makers. WE LOVE GUITARS. When your heart says you need an archtop, YOU NEED AN ARCHTOP.

BTW, people seem very happy with their Mr. Wu guitars. They go for about $1,200 custom built to your desires. That's a third of my starting price. I can't even begin to compete with that price living in the US. Honestly, I would find it hard to resist given the glowing praise on this board.

Since you are looking at Chinese made guitars anyway, you might as well get one where the money is actually going to the artisan rather than split between government officials in China and the grossly over inflated salaries for Henry Juszkiewicz, Andy Mooney, or Bob Taylor.

User Info Menu

you might really want to check out an Ibanez 2355
    I played one in my high school jazz band, and found one just like it 25 years later-
    many think they sound/play better than Gibson ES175 of the era...
    https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=ibanez+2355

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHEbSdnMxq0

User Info Menu

Well, cnote, what did you get? I'm just like you, been playing a long time but just starting to get serious about playing jazz guitar; same age too!
    I've just been looking at a Guild X175, has anyone tried one of those?

User Info Menu

I did... nice guitar, but I did not like it after all... just personal maybe.
    I like A 150 re-issue much more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Pshawww! Stuff and nonsense!

User Info Menu

My wife says 'pay unto Caesar what is due unto Caesar, and then you must pay unto Gibson what is due unto Gibson.'

Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by fole
    Well, cnote, what did you get? I'm just like you, been playing a long time but just starting to get serious about playing jazz guitar; same age too!
    I've just been looking at a Guild X175, has anyone tried one of those?
    Funny! Im about to pull the trigger an a Guild Newark St. A-150 I really liked the U shaped neck with jumbo frets. Felt good..First jazz guitar?-s-l1600-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes!

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Yes!

Congratulations and enjoy it in good health.
    Thank you rabbit! I kicked a lot of tires until I found that feel, and tone.

User Info Menu

Cnote,

Congratulations & nice to meet you.

I also have one of these, in Blonde.

I often praise these here but thought hell, they're hard to find,
    choosing a guitar is SO personal and you're a more experience player than me so...
    I am very seldom right about anything.

P.S.: good luck in Arizona this summer. I know Phoenix & Tucson pretty well.

User Info Menu

Funny! Im about to pull the trigger an a Guild Newark St. A-150 I really liked the U shaped neck with jumbo frets. Felt good..First jazz guitar?-s-l1600-jpg
    Well that's great! I pick mine up at the weekend. What a coincidence.