Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

In case you never heard of this player he was a phenomenal player, teacher and writer of guitar books, as well as flute and bass. He was located in the bay area of Northern California and was teaching back in the early 1970's and 1980's. One of his best books goes on sale on fleabay but sellers are asking for ridiculous prices, check out the link. Just sharing a pic, hope that's legal. BTW, anyone from California here? I never took lessons from him cause I'm an off and on player and I wasn't playing much in those years, besides I don't live in the bay area. The pic is from the book in the link. Just a tip, if you happen to have the book hang onto it. If you happen to run into any of his guitar books, you may want to pick one up.

The Blues for Advanced Guitar Warren Nunes Jazz Guitar Series by Nunes Snyder | eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-nunes-002-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh Man! I had that book and a few others of Warren Nunes. I don't know what ever happened to them.
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

User Info Menu

"one of the greatest guitar players ever" junior watson about warren nunes

nunes played in junior watsons moms band..she was a singer...

he refused to teach jr..good bit here

around 11 minute mark

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 11-21-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: correction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    "
    he refused to teach jr..good bit here
    Wow that's too much. Warren was a speed monster no doubt about it, he made a CD 'Half Moon Bay', if you can get a copy check it out as it's a very good example of Warren's speed, I'll post a link. Warren passed away in the early 1990's or even sooner unfortunately. I just remembered, Warren used to make his students pics, he would widdle down a regular pick somehow. Steve Crowell is making them now, he used to live with Warren for a couple of years.

Easy Jazz Guitar - Stuff For Sale

User Info Menu

Glad to see Warren mentioned here. He was my only jazz guitar teacher. I discovered him in 1974, but didn't get around to actually studying with him until 1995, in private lessons and in jazz workshops all the way up to his tragic and untimely death in 1999. Can't say enough about him. He was the fastest and cleanest playing jazz guitarist I've ever seen. I wouldn't have appreciated jazz music and jazz guitar if it were not for Warren Nunes. I feel very fortunate to have been accepted as a student. As mentioned above he would make students that he liked a custom pick out of real tortoise shell. In his latter years the supply had run out and it was illegal to buy or even possess tortoise shell. I was fortunate to get one of his last ones. Sadly it split apart into pieces about 5 years ago

I have all of his books, as well as many scribbled handwritten studies for technique and soloing

~Eddie
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 11-23-2015 at 11:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra View Post
    As mentioned above he would make students that he liked a custom pick out of real tortoise shell. I have all of his books, as well as many scribbled handwritten studies for technique and soloing ~Eddie
    Interesting caveat about the picks. Yeah, Eddie I've seen your playing on youtube, good stuff!!

User Info Menu

Thanks fathand I'm just an intermediate level student, his advanced students are just incredible players

Yeah, I've been seeing some astronomical asking prices for some of his old books, those all went out of print decades ago, so they have become collector items. Those books included a small 33 1/3 rpm flexible plastic record of the practice tracks and soloing examples.

~Eddie
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 11-23-2015 at 11:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Somebody recorded his Jazz Blues book's music from the little floppy record and put it on Youtube.

There is also a video of the our very own Dutchbopper playing the chord progression to a backing track. Very nice backing track and playing.

User Info Menu

What a talent. He was a Hawaiian with large hands like Tal Farlow. Actually, Warren was teaching in the late 60's. I still remember going to his house for lessons. A small room at the back of his house was his studio. I still remember to this day, he and I took his L5 to an Oakland luthier to be refreted. He used my Guild A500 to play a gig. I sat there watching him play and said to myself "that guitar will never see days like this again".

I too still have some of the instruction material. He had his students practice with the a Klose' clarinet book. I lost contact with Warren but did manage to visit him once at his studio in a music store in Hayward.

He also toured with George Shearing but gave that up. He hated it. He also performed at times at North Beach in San Francisco. I think he only did that because he needed the money. I never found out what took his life. I miss him.

User Info Menu

i'm guessing it was suicide, drugs or drink.

i can't find anything concrete but everything i can find says it was "tragic" and "too soon". that's what they always say when it was one of those three causes. they do that so as not to attach a stain on a person's legacy. that's nice but creates an incomplete story about a person's history. history is whitewashed so much of the time.

anyway, i have most of his books. they're good. now that i know how much to gouge for them, i think i'll keep em even longer than i already have.

User Info Menu

IIRC, I read it was a heart attack.

User Info Menu

yeah ..and aside from hardworking guitar master teacher...apparently was an avid sportsman besides..fisherman and hunter..and good loving father

to demean the dead is odious

cheers

User Info Menu

Btw, what is going on in those patterns in his "Blues" book ? pictured above. IE, some of the patterns played over a 2 octave range don't repeat the same notes in a scalar fashion so, has anybody actually worked it out beyond the point of memorizing the fingering ?.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 11-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    yeah ..and aside from hardworking guitar master teacher...apparently was an avid sportsman besides..fisherman and hunter..and good loving father

to demean the dead is odious

cheers
    wasn't doing that. was stating usual reasons for obfuscation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra View Post
    Thanks fathand I'm just an intermediate level student, his advanced students were just incredible players

Yeah, I've been seeing some astronomical asking prices for some of his old books, those all went out of print decades ago, so they have become collector items. Those books included a small 33 1/3 rpm flexible plastic record of the practice tracks and soloing examples.

~Eddie
    Eddie, you are way too modest, my friend. You may consider yourself an "intermediate level student...", but in my view you can keep up with the best of them. Plus, I consider you an advanced level teacher.

Tim

User Info Menu

My God. Listen to how this Warren's notes bloom. If you check out the photo here, he did have huge hands that just engulfed the neck.

User Info Menu

Came across this pdf from one of Warren's books. Hope it works
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand View Post
    Came across this pdf from one of Warren's books. Hope it works
    Where did you find this? Are there more?

User Info Menu

I studied with Warren for a couple of years. Maybe not quite that long. Great player. In my experience not the best teacher. I lost track of him too. He had issues. He'd get into bar fights. Big guy. Funny. I think he wasn't better known because of this. I loved him.

User Info Menu

I also obliquely knew Jerry Snyder. He was the guitar publisher who thought the world of Nunes and edited and published his books. His son Ned Snyder was a student of mine. He died tragically in an airplane accident. He was a pilot and a great guy.

User Info Menu

In the late 70's, I was in a trio in Berkeley, CA with another guitar player (Rick Pollack) who was studying with Warren. I was pretty much into being self taught at that point and had little interest in lessons, but I did pick up most of Warrens books at used book stores in the 80's. I sold a few on EBay a few years back (not for very much money) and still have a few. I am not terribly impressed with the books. He was a Patterns/scales/licks player. I prefer to play melodies, which I think most listeners prefer as well. YMMV

User Info Menu

BTW, Jerry Snyder is still around doing Classical guitar festivals in the San Jose Area. He hired my jazz band for a few of those about a decade ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol View Post
    Where did you find this? Are there more?
    I'll look around, I know I have that book somewhere around here. Check this out, just snatched this page off of fleabay. The book sale is about to end, item 351480427451. Took a pic of the book as well, you may have to be creative to make it bigger to see. ~Cheers!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-rszwarrennunes-jpg Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-rszbookpic-jpg 
    Last edited by fathand; 12-22-2015 at 03:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    I studied with Warren for a couple of years. Maybe not quite that long. Great player. In my experience not the best teacher. I lost track of him too. He had issues. He'd get into bar fights. Big guy. Funny. I think he wasn't better known because of this. I loved him.
    Interesting analogy. When did you take lessons. Mine were in 1966. He was my only teacher and just for a short period. I'm self taught. Still consider myself a beginner/intermediate. I agree, a great guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol View Post
    Interesting analogy. When did you take lessons. Mine were in 1966. He was my only teacher and just for a short period. I'm self taught. Still consider myself a beginner/intermediate. I agree, a great guy.
    I studied with him right out of high school and into my first couple of years of college. That would have been '74-76? Spitzer Music in Hayward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    I studied with him right out of high school and into my first couple of years of college. That would have been '74-76? Spitzer Music in Hayward.
    I visited him once when he was teaching at Spitzer Music. I believe it was on "B" street. That was the last time I saw him. BTW. Did you know Dave Creamer? He and I grew up together, a block apart, in San Leandro.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have one of his books in my "stack" of guitar books. "Chorded Jazz Solos" is the title. I've scanned the cover here:
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-nunez-chorded_jazz_solos_cover-1-jpg 
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 12-22-2015 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I knew Joel Hipps, who was a student of Warren's and went on to co-author a book with him. Around 76-77 I was visiting SF and Joel suggested I come to the store in Hayward for what was basically a recital featuring Warren and his students (based on the posts in this thread, some of you may have been part of that performance). Warren was a really impressive player and seemed like a very nice guy in the brief conversation I had with him.

User Info Menu

Nice to see this thread here! I was a student of Warren's for the last few years before he died in the late 90s. I took lessons with him in Half Moon Bay first, then moved over to B Street Music in San Mateo, which is close to where I was living.

I still have some of his books as well as a lot of lesson material from studying with him. Warren was a heavy player but also a fantastic teacher and was one of my main inspirations for getting into jazz guitar. Yes he definitely had his own idea about how one should learn and play but usually for good reason.

He did commit suicide, it was not drug related at all! He had cancer I believe and did not want to put his family through the hardship of his decline. Perhaps there were other reasons too that we'll never know.

What I do know however is that he was always kind and caring towards me, he really cared about my musical improvement, cared about the guitar and wanted his students to carry the torch and create more music. He was one of the best teachers I ever had and I still miss him all the time. I feel very fortunate to have been able to know him and study with him. I can still recall the first time I went to take class with him. I walked into the Half Moon Bay location, which was a messy room in the back of Lighthouse Water. I walked in thinking, what a shabby looking place this is, after hearing Warren play I instantly though, "how can this genius be teaching out of this closet of a room in a water store?!" Hilarious.

If there are other students of his here on the thread on the peninsula, I'd love to get together and exchange old lesson material. I have a lot but there's a lot I don't have. He had mountains of material written out over the years.

RIP Warren!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Nice to see this thread here! I was a student of Warren's for the last few years before he died in the late 90s. I took lessons with him in Half Moon Bay first, then moved over to B Street Music in San Mateo, which is close to where I was living.

I still have some of his books as well as a lot of lesson material from studying with him. Warren was a heavy player but also a fantastic teacher and was one of my main inspirations for getting into jazz guitar. Yes he definitely had his own idea about how one should learn and play but usually for good reason.

He did commit suicide, it was not drug related at all! He had cancer I believe and did not want to put his family through the hardship of his decline. Perhaps there were other reasons too that we'll never know.

What I do know however is that he was always kind and caring towards me, he really cared about my musical improvement, cared about the guitar and wanted his students to carry the torch and create more music. He was one of the best teachers I ever had and I still miss him all the time. I feel very fortunate to have been able to know him and study with him. I can still recall the first time I went to take class with him. I walked into the Half Moon Bay location, which was a messy room in the back of Lighthouse Water. I walked in thinking, what a shabby looking place this is, after hearing Warren play I instantly though, "how can this genius be teaching out of this closet of a room in a water store?!" Hilarious.

If there are other students of his here on the thread on the peninsula, I'd love to get together and exchange old lesson material. I have a lot but there's a lot I don't have. He had mountains of material written out over the years.

RIP Warren!
    Thanks Doug. What a great post. I had no idea he was teaching in Half Moon Bay. Now I understand the name to his CD.
    Also thanks for the information on his death. Really sad story.

User Info Menu

Yes he lived in Half Moon Bay and he loved it out there. Aside from music, his other passion was fishing. That's why on the CD you can see his trusty 1957 L5-CES along with his trusty fishing pole! I regret not having made the time to go out fishing with him. Warren and I got a long wonderfully and I would have loved to have done that with him. Sigh...
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

Scribd seems to have a number of his books available here.

User Info Menu

I just picked up three of Warren Nunes' books:

Jazz Guitar Comp Chords - self explanatory.

Jazz Guitar Portfolio - four-bar phrases, blues (basic and modern), non-root 13th chord cycles (very interesting).

Solo Improvisation Techniques for the Jazz Guitar - improvising with triads, and harmonic minor, melodic minor and whole-tone scales. Seems a good, useful book, and has the floppy record which should still work on my turntable.

Good finds.

User Info Menu

ummmm........what's a turntable?
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

User Info Menu

I learned so much from his books, all these chords and shapes. He had all that material at the era of no internet, no good teachers (at least where i was living), not that many books available. Just one look at his work and you could tell how passionate that guy was about guitar and about teaching people how to play it

User Info Menu

I studied with Warren for several years in the 70's. At first, it was upstairs at Spitzer Music in Hayward, and later, in ABC music in Castro Valley.

Warren was an astounding player with a style all his own. And, he had a lot of it broken down into teachable pieces. He was a great teacher.

The Chord Bible is encyclopedic, but his other books are a bit different. Each one presents just a few ideas, but the ideas are important and are taught in way which allows the student to internalize the material.

So, for example, in one book he shows his "speed technique" and explains how it works. I still use it. Basically, it dissects pick movement to find bottlenecks and then looks for ways to refinger the line with the left hand to accommodate the needs of the pick. This is modified alternate -- sweep pickers solve these problems a different way. Warren had an attack like a jackhammer -- which I've never heard anybody else do quite the same, and, I think, alternate picking was part of that.

The Portfolio is a slim book which, as I recall, was where I learned about tonal centers and landing on chord tones on strong beats.

Anyway, good to see Warren remembered.

User Info Menu

I was also a student of Warrens for a couple of years at Spitzers. Though we were on the ground floor in the back room. Amazing player, though I didn't think he was a good teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here are some things I think Warren did well.

At ABC music he'd always have a bassist, often a drummer, and occasionally a pianist. So, you took your turn playing in a quartet or quintet (Warren took turns comping and soloing). And, he was heavily focused on tunes. He would talk about his theory and immediately apply exactly what he was talking about to a tune. Another strength was that Warren didn't tip toe around. He'd tell you exactly what he thought you did wrong and, then, exactly how to fix it. Straight feedback from a great player -- of your playing in combo -- that's a gift.

On the less positive side, the lessons could seem disorganized, but, I always knew what I needed to work on.

Also, he was a brilliant chord melody player, but he wouldn't slow down and he wouldn't play the same one twice. I felt lucky if I could cop a voicing or two.

User Info Menu

Ditto the above. It was great being able to play with Warren and a group and listen to everyone else, and then hear him critique. That was great. But other than that he rarely taught anything. I had one brief lesson in the first day. And I think he thought I was good enough to jump in the deep end of the pool. So I just played and listened. He gave me his scale fingerings: 7 Major, diminished and whole tone. Then he corrected my picking by laughing at my technique in front of the class. I had no real problem with that. I was surprised. I had worked so f-ing hard on it, but I agreed.

But for as long as I studied with him, that's all I got as real lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your experience.

When I was with him he taught his theory about two kinds of chords, "type one and type two" and they were interchangeable..

So, in his system I iiim Vmaj7 vim were all major type iim IV V7 and vim (double duty) were all minor type. Not sure about m7b5. Can't recall

And he'd have us play turnarounds 3 6 2 5 while played all the permutations, at high speed. I'd record it on cassette and later find he played exactly what he said 4 against 2, three against I etc.

He also taught me what a tonal center is -- which I hadn't learned up until then.

So, that much allowed me to play in the right key and have some harmonic vocabulary.

He talked about positions (he wouldn't use the term modes), and his positions were modes, whether or not he admitted it. And he used it all the same way, type 1 and type 2.

He talked about 5 sounds in jazz, major, minor, melodic minor, diminished and WT, but I never got the details on how he used the latter three.

He also taught me how to comp and be disciplined about it.

Not everything I ever wanted to know, but plenty at the time.

Some it, to be fair, produced some bad habits, I think, but more my fault than his. I had learned sweep picking first, I didn't want to sound like a jackhammer, so I never fully bought into his picking, although his notion of refingering to accommodate the pick is something I use every day.

Anyway, I considered it a good experience. I've had private lessons with some teachers whose names you would know and got less.

User Info Menu

Rick,

I am glad that you and my friend Doug Martin have both chimed in about your experiences with Warren. Because of your praise, I bought several of Warren's books (I sold most of them as I did not find them particularly useful). In retrospect, I wish that I had taken a few lessons from Warren myself. When you and I played together in Berkeley back in the late 70's, I was working a day job in Hayward (Southland Mall). It would have been quite easy to have gone to Spitzer music for a lesson. Listening to his playing on the record that came with one of his books, I can tell that he was an astonishing player. There are so many unsung guitar heroes and Warren was clearly one of them.

Cheers,

Marc

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;788688]Rick,

I am glad that you and my friend Doug Martin have both chimed in about your experiences with Warren. Because of your praise, I bought several of Warren's books (I sold most of them as I did not find them particularly useful). In retrospect, I wish that I had taken a few lessons from Warren myself. When you and I played together in Berkeley back in the late 70's, I was working a day job in Hayward (Southland Mall). It would have been quite easy to have gone to Spitzer music for a lesson. Listening to his playing on the record that came with one of his books, I can tell that he was an astonishing player. There are so many unsung guitar heroes and Warren was clearly one of them.

With the possible exception of the Chord Bible, his books were not addressed at advanced players. It was more for, say, somebody with some chops from playing rock, who then wanted to learn to play jazz standards. Perhaps the most advanced thing in the books was his "speed technique, but, that said, it helped to see how he did it in person.

Like many great players and teachers, his strength was that he was a master of a certain way of playing, and that's what he taught.

User Info Menu

This is crazy! I hope the seller isn't on this forum, that could be akward! Too much, $249 for Warren's only CD made, Half Moon Bay. I wonder if the seller, thinks that it's actually the only one made and there aren't any others?! I tried to download a pic but it didn't work. Oh, well here's the link!

WARREN NUNES HALF MOON BAY 1995 709637000024 | eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-s-l1600nunes-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Solo Improvisation Techniques for the Jazz Guitar - improvising with triads, and harmonic minor, melodic minor and whole-tone scales. Seems a good, useful book, and has the floppy record which should still work on my turntable.
    I had that book for a while, and I've lost it. I actually had it memorized at one time. It was a really good thing for me, at the time I dug into it, because it gave me a good idea of how to use so many of the scalar concepts that I had studied on my own. The theory always made perfect sense to me, but I didn't really know how to make it sound like jazz. The first 6 or 7 exercises used diatonic material outlining triads and used triplets frequently. That gave me a good idea of how to play simple language but sound stylisically 'right'.

User Info Menu

This is crazy! I hope the seller isn't on this forum, that could be akward! Too much, $249 for Warren's only CD made, Half Moon Bay. I wonder if the seller, thinks that it's actually the only one made and there aren't any others?! I tried to download a pic but it didn't work. Oh, well here's the link!

WARREN NUNES HALF MOON BAY 1995 709637000024 | eBay
    I just paid less than that for a new radiator for my car!

User Info Menu

Half Moon Bay CD, $14.95 here: Picks & More - Jazz Science Guitar Institute .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Half Moon Bay CD, $14.95 here: Picks & More - Jazz Science Guitar Institute .

That's Steve Crowell's site. He studied with Warren for a good while. I think they were housemates for a time. Steve would be a good source for info about Warren.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    That's Steve Crowell's site. He studied with Warren for a good while. I think they were housemates for a time. Steve would be a good source for info about Warren.
    Yes, they shared an apartment for a couple of years. Steve obviously got some really good ideas from Warren which in turn is really good for me as I've bought a lot of Steve's books. I still have almost all of Warren's books the Blues book is phenomenal! Oh, and the scales book is really good as well but I haven't started work on it yet. Some of his books came with records, mine in the pic, did not. Here's a pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-img_1505-jpg 

User Info Menu

Yes, they shared an apartment for a couple of years. Steve obviously got some really good ideas from Warren which in turn is really good for me as I've bought a lot of Steve's books. I still have almost all of Warren's books the Blues book is phenomenal! Oh, and the scales book is really good as well but I haven't started work on it yet. Some of his books came with records, mine in the pic, did not. Here's a pic!
    Is it unlawful to photocopy those books, given that they are out of print? Or is it only unlawful to photocopy and sell?

I think his materials are pretty darned good, they sound good.