The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Yes he lived in Half Moon Bay and he loved it out there. Aside from music, his other passion was fishing. That's why on the CD you can see his trusty 1957 L5-CES along with his trusty fishing pole! I regret not having made the time to go out fishing with him. Warren and I got a long wonderfully and I would have loved to have done that with him. Sigh...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Scribd seems to have a number of his books available here.

User Info Menu

I just picked up three of Warren Nunes' books:

Jazz Guitar Comp Chords - self explanatory.

Jazz Guitar Portfolio - four-bar phrases, blues (basic and modern), non-root 13th chord cycles (very interesting).

Solo Improvisation Techniques for the Jazz Guitar - improvising with triads, and harmonic minor, melodic minor and whole-tone scales. Seems a good, useful book, and has the floppy record which should still work on my turntable.

Good finds.

User Info Menu

I learned so much from his books, all these chords and shapes. He had all that material at the era of no internet, no good teachers (at least where i was living), not that many books available. Just one look at his work and you could tell how passionate that guy was about guitar and about teaching people how to play it

User Info Menu

I studied with Warren for several years in the 70's. At first, it was upstairs at Spitzer Music in Hayward, and later, in ABC music in Castro Valley.

Warren was an astounding player with a style all his own. And, he had a lot of it broken down into teachable pieces. He was a great teacher.

The Chord Bible is encyclopedic, but his other books are a bit different. Each one presents just a few ideas, but the ideas are important and are taught in way which allows the student to internalize the material.

So, for example, in one book he shows his "speed technique" and explains how it works. I still use it. Basically, it dissects pick movement to find bottlenecks and then looks for ways to refinger the line with the left hand to accommodate the needs of the pick. This is modified alternate -- sweep pickers solve these problems a different way. Warren had an attack like a jackhammer -- which I've never heard anybody else do quite the same, and, I think, alternate picking was part of that.

The Portfolio is a slim book which, as I recall, was where I learned about tonal centers and landing on chord tones on strong beats.

Anyway, good to see Warren remembered.

User Info Menu

I was also a student of Warrens for a couple of years at Spitzers. Though we were on the ground floor in the back room. Amazing player, though I didn't think he was a good teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here are some things I think Warren did well.

At ABC music he'd always have a bassist, often a drummer, and occasionally a pianist. So, you took your turn playing in a quartet or quintet (Warren took turns comping and soloing). And, he was heavily focused on tunes. He would talk about his theory and immediately apply exactly what he was talking about to a tune. Another strength was that Warren didn't tip toe around. He'd tell you exactly what he thought you did wrong and, then, exactly how to fix it. Straight feedback from a great player -- of your playing in combo -- that's a gift.

On the less positive side, the lessons could seem disorganized, but, I always knew what I needed to work on.

Also, he was a brilliant chord melody player, but he wouldn't slow down and he wouldn't play the same one twice. I felt lucky if I could cop a voicing or two.

User Info Menu

Ditto the above. It was great being able to play with Warren and a group and listen to everyone else, and then hear him critique. That was great. But other than that he rarely taught anything. I had one brief lesson in the first day. And I think he thought I was good enough to jump in the deep end of the pool. So I just played and listened. He gave me his scale fingerings: 7 Major, diminished and whole tone. Then he corrected my picking by laughing at my technique in front of the class. I had no real problem with that. I was surprised. I had worked so f-ing hard on it, but I agreed.

But for as long as I studied with him, that's all I got as real lessons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your experience.

When I was with him he taught his theory about two kinds of chords, "type one and type two" and they were interchangeable..

So, in his system I iiim Vmaj7 vim were all major type iim IV V7 and vim (double duty) were all minor type. Not sure about m7b5. Can't recall

And he'd have us play turnarounds 3 6 2 5 while played all the permutations, at high speed. I'd record it on cassette and later find he played exactly what he said 4 against 2, three against I etc.

He also taught me what a tonal center is -- which I hadn't learned up until then.

So, that much allowed me to play in the right key and have some harmonic vocabulary.

He talked about positions (he wouldn't use the term modes), and his positions were modes, whether or not he admitted it. And he used it all the same way, type 1 and type 2.

He talked about 5 sounds in jazz, major, minor, melodic minor, diminished and WT, but I never got the details on how he used the latter three.

He also taught me how to comp and be disciplined about it.

Not everything I ever wanted to know, but plenty at the time.

Some it, to be fair, produced some bad habits, I think, but more my fault than his. I had learned sweep picking first, I didn't want to sound like a jackhammer, so I never fully bought into his picking, although his notion of refingering to accommodate the pick is something I use every day.

Anyway, I considered it a good experience. I've had private lessons with some teachers whose names you would know and got less.

User Info Menu

Rick,

I am glad that you and my friend Doug Martin have both chimed in about your experiences with Warren. Because of your praise, I bought several of Warren's books (I sold most of them as I did not find them particularly useful). In retrospect, I wish that I had taken a few lessons from Warren myself. When you and I played together in Berkeley back in the late 70's, I was working a day job in Hayward (Southland Mall). It would have been quite easy to have gone to Spitzer music for a lesson. Listening to his playing on the record that came with one of his books, I can tell that he was an astonishing player. There are so many unsung guitar heroes and Warren was clearly one of them.

Cheers,

Marc

User Info Menu

With the possible exception of the Chord Bible, his books were not addressed at advanced players. It was more for, say, somebody with some chops from playing rock, who then wanted to learn to play jazz standards. Perhaps the most advanced thing in the books was his "speed technique, but, that said, it helped to see how he did it in person.

Like many great players and teachers, his strength was that he was a master of a certain way of playing, and that's what he taught.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Solo Improvisation Techniques for the Jazz Guitar - improvising with triads, and harmonic minor, melodic minor and whole-tone scales. Seems a good, useful book, and has the floppy record which should still work on my turntable.
    I had that book for a while, and I've lost it. I actually had it memorized at one time. It was a really good thing for me, at the time I dug into it, because it gave me a good idea of how to use so many of the scalar concepts that I had studied on my own. The theory always made perfect sense to me, but I didn't really know how to make it sound like jazz. The first 6 or 7 exercises used diatonic material outlining triads and used triplets frequently. That gave me a good idea of how to play simple language but sound stylisically 'right'.

User Info Menu

Half Moon Bay CD, $14.95 here: Picks & More - Jazz Science Guitar Institute .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Half Moon Bay CD, $14.95 here: Picks & More - Jazz Science Guitar Institute .

That's Steve Crowell's site. He studied with Warren for a good while. I think they were housemates for a time. Steve would be a good source for info about Warren.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's Steve Crowell's site. He studied with Warren for a good while. I think they were housemates for a time. Steve would be a good source for info about Warren.
    Yes, they shared an apartment for a couple of years. Steve obviously got some really good ideas from Warren which in turn is really good for me as I've bought a lot of Steve's books. I still have almost all of Warren's books the Blues book is phenomenal! Oh, and the scales book is really good as well but I haven't started work on it yet. Some of his books came with records, mine in the pic, did not. Here's a pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-img_1505-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Yes, they shared an apartment for a couple of years. Steve obviously got some really good ideas from Warren which in turn is really good for me as I've bought a lot of Steve's books. I still have almost all of Warren's books the Blues book is phenomenal! Oh, and the scales book is really good as well but I haven't started work on it yet. Some of his books came with records, mine in the pic, did not. Here's a pic!
    Is it unlawful to photocopy those books, given that they are out of print? Or is it only unlawful to photocopy and sell?

I think his materials are pretty darned good, they sound good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLastra
    Glad to see Warren mentioned here. He was my only jazz guitar teacher. I discovered him in 1974, but didn't get around to actually studying with him until 1995, in private lessons and in jazz workshops all the way up to his tragic and untimely death in 1999. Can't say enough about him. He was the fastest and cleanest playing jazz guitarist I've ever seen. I wouldn't have appreciated jazz music and jazz guitar if it were not for Warren Nunes. I feel very fortunate to have been accepted as a student. As mentioned above he would make students that he liked a custom pick out of real tortoise shell. In his latter years the supply had run out and it was illegal to buy or even possess tortoise shell. I was fortunate to get one of his last ones. Sadly it split apart into pieces about 5 years ago

I have all of his books, as well as many scribbled handwritten studies for technique and soloing

~Eddie
    please shoot me an email - I want to talk about buying one of your books of Warren Nunes. The Gold solos one. Jim@joesmaplewood.com

User Info Menu

Thanks! I have that book, so the link will be useful.

User Info Menu

I own this book since forever! When i took lessons studying these chords was mandatory
    Attached Images Attached Images Warren Nunes, anyone familiar with his books?-img_1276-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have one of his books in my "stack" of guitar books. "Chorded Jazz Solos" is the title. I've scanned the cover here:
    I have 2 of his books which are full of runs and arpeggios. I wish I had this one though.

User Info Menu

i just found 5 Warren songs....check IMROVISATION ...HES A LEGEND

User Info Menu

Half Moon Bay CD on eBay: $250.

Basic jazz & blues complete instructor: a guitar chord method by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder: in the stack at Auckland Central Library. I have requested it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Half Moon Bay CD on eBay: $250. Basic jazz & blues complete instructor: a guitar chord method by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder: in the stack at Auckland Central Library. I have requested it.
    Wow, I thought the seller was off his rocker then I looked on amazon! Linked below!

https://www.amazon.com/Half-Moon-Bay...5684790&sr=8-1

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fathand
    Wow, I thought the seller was off his rocker then I looked on amazon! Linked below!

https://www.amazon.com/Half-Moon-Bay...5684790&sr=8-1
    Never underestimate what a collector will pay for something that is out of print. There is a whole "black" market out there of people buying things and then flipping them on ebay, facebook, Amazon, of some other site. You would be surprised to know the number of people living off these profits.