The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Amazon, eBay and the others can also be used by bad people for bad purposes, such as money laundering and making payments to other bad people.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Can you tell us anythiing about the two "Solo" titled books please?
    Moot point. The books have sold.

User Info Menu

I kinda expected that.

User Info Menu

I remember Warren Nunes books. In fact, I still play one or two of his ideas. There were so few books available years ago, so anything helped. I loved the arpeggiated four fret ideas. Different fingerings opens up different possibilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

When I was with him he taught his theory about two kinds of chords, "type one and type two" and they were interchangeable..

So, in his system I iiim Vmaj7 vim were all major type iim IV V7 and vim (double duty) were all minor type. Not sure about m7b5.
    I now have the Basic Jazz & Blues Complete Instructor. I expect I am the first to borrow it in a long time.

This be the verse:

“Major type chords constructed on the FIRST DEGREE of the MAJOR SCALE are also I TYPE CHORDS: Imaj7, Imaj6, Imaj9, Imaj6/9. These forms are interchangeable."

“Major type chords constructed on the FIFTH DEGREE of the MAJOR or MINOR SCALE are V TYPE CHORDS: V7, V9, V11, V7-5, V7+5, V7+9, V7-9, V9+11, V13-9. These chords are interchangeable. These are dominant chords which demand resolution.”

“Minor chords built on the SECOND DEGREE of the scale are II TYPE CHORDS: IIm, IIm7, IIm9, IIm11, IIm7-5. In jazz, the II TYPE CHORD functions as an alternative for the IV Chord.”

It contains more chords than you could shake a stick at, and progressions aplenty, as well as cycles.

Part 3, The Blues, is extensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Nice to see this thread here! I was a student of Warren's for the last few years before he died in the late 90s. I took lessons with him in Half Moon Bay first, then moved over to B Street Music in San Mateo, which is close to where I was living.

I still have some of his books as well as a lot of lesson material from studying with him. Warren was a heavy player but also a fantastic teacher and was one of my main inspirations for getting into jazz guitar. Yes he definitely had his own idea about how one should learn and play but usually for good reason.

He did commit suicide, it was not drug related at all! He had cancer I believe and did not want to put his family through the hardship of his decline. Perhaps there were other reasons too that we'll never know.

What I do know however is that he was always kind and caring towards me, he really cared about my musical improvement, cared about the guitar and wanted his students to carry the torch and create more music. He was one of the best teachers I ever had and I still miss him all the time. I feel very fortunate to have been able to know him and study with him. I can still recall the first time I went to take class with him. I walked into the Half Moon Bay location, which was a messy room in the back of Lighthouse Water. I walked in thinking, what a shabby looking place this is, after hearing Warren play I instantly though, "how can this genius be teaching out of this closet of a room in a water store?!" Hilarious.

If there are other students of his here on the thread on the peninsula, I'd love to get together and exchange old lesson material. I have a lot but there's a lot I don't have. He had mountains of material written out over the years.

RIP Warren!

Hi, could you send me the audio file of Warren Nune's "Solo Patterns"? Unfortunately, my vinyl broke. I bought the book a second time because of the record. But it wasn't included. I don't think Warren Nunes is a scale player like someone writes here. He has an absolutely sovereign approach. Of course, there are other good approaches as well. Thank you

User Info Menu

I have one of his books, The Blues. One of the best books I ever read concerning the modern or jazz blues.

User Info Menu

spent a half hour on the lady is a tramp.Will try to send you a vid. access denied. any way for me its a quick way to get up already laid out tunes for singing with.no time but will try to upload the vid later

User Info Menu

If anybody has any of his books for sale, please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    I remember Warren Nunes books. In fact, I still play one or two of his ideas. There were so few books available years ago, so anything helped. I loved the arpeggiated four fret ideas. Different fingerings opens up different possibilities.
    Do you recall which book it was that has the arpeggiated four fret ideas?

User Info Menu

Hi all, I just want to thank everyone for sharing so much insight on Warren's life, playing, teaching and books.

I just got to writing out a list of his books for guitar (not including books for other instruments), and this is the best I could come up with in case anyone is looking for the different books.

Do note that there are different editions of the books (some with comb binding and some not) and some are collected versions. The only easily available book is the The Jazz Guitar Chord Bible Complete published by Alfred Publishing. The others can be found from time to time but can be pricey.

I am in the middle of writing reviews for as many of these books, three of them up so far:

Book Review: Warren Nunes Jazz Guitar Series: The Blues by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder
    Book Review: Jazz Guitar Portfolio by Warren Nunes
    Book Review: Jazz Guitar Comp Chords by Warren Nunes

Here is the list:

• Rhythm & Background Chords by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder, 1973, Hanson House
    • The Blues by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder, 1974, Hansen House
    • Jazz Guitar Portfolio by Warren Nunes, 1976, Music Trends Inc
    • Jazz Guitar Solos with correct tonal centers for soloing, Arranged by Warren Nunes, 1976, Hansen House
    • Solo Patterns by Warren Nunes, 1977, Hansen House
    • Jazz Guitar Comp Chords by Warren Nunes, Text by Joel Hipps, 1979, Almo Publications
    • The Jazz Guitar Chord Bible by Warren Nunes Vol. 1, 1979, Almo Publications
    • The Jazz Guitar Chord Bible by Warren Nunes Vol. 2, 1979, Almo Publications
    • The Jazz Guitar Chord Bible by Warren Nunes, 1979, Almo Publications
    • Solo Improvisation Techniques for the Jazz Guitar by Warren Nunes & Joel Hipps, 1981, Hansen House
    • Rock to Fusion (For Lead Guitar Players) by Richard Kendrick, Warren Nunes & Bob Marshall, 1983, Hansen House
    • Chorded Jazz Solos by Warren Nunes, Edited by Steve Doherty, 1984, Hansen House
    • Basic Jazz & Blues Complete Instructor, A Guitar Chord Method by Warren Nunes & Jerry Snyder, 1973, 1974, 1985 (copyright for individual volumes collected in here), Hansen House
    • The Jazz Guitar Chord Bible Complete by Warren Nunes, 1999, Alfred Publishing

Hope this is helpful to anyone looking for his books!