The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rave
    Based on your post you may like the Herb Ellis Books. The approach is based on Shapes and how the shapes relate to scales, arpeggios and the chords. There are also solos that show how to apply the shapes. There are three of them, Swing Blues, All the Shapes You Are and Rhythm Shapes. I have the precursor Blues Shapes and it has been helpful even though I play more traditional blues as it shows you possibilities over chord types. Good luck
    I've learned a lot from Herb's books.

I've had the Fewell book for over two years but haven't worked in it yet. I'll get to it eventually, I'm sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've learned a lot from Herb's books.

I've had the Fewell book for over two years but haven't worked in it yet. I'll get to it eventually, I'm sure.
    Even after working on the H. Ellis & C. Kaye material, I'll wager that when you do get around to Fewell's book it'll be a game changer for you.

User Info Menu

Excuse me for writing again.

You helped me a lot with your answers

I buy very little lately, and Herb Ellis's books will buy,because I love his playing.

I also really like playing the saxophones.

And I named a few.

I remember reading that guitarists Jim Hall, wanted to sound like saxophones and Charlie Christian also.

Perhaps I'm not quite sure what I say.

I make a pretty good buy and I have on its recommendations..

I do not know if you have references to saxophonists.

I love them.

I do not know if there textbooks of Paul Desmond, stant Getz, Lester Young that are teaching.

Excuse me for writing again, but I would buy it all together, and do not know if anyone has more textbooks and good XD.

Thanks to all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jvilpaz
    I do not know if you have references to saxophonists.

I love them.
    Yes! Lennie Niehaus is an alto player and a great teacher. He has several books out that players of other instruments. I've been working in his "Lennie Niehaus Plays the Blues" which contains solos he wrote for the 12 play-along tracks on Jamey Aebersold's volume 42, the blues in all 12 keys. (I have the "C" version, which means the lines are written in treble clef)
    Jamey Aebersold Jazz: Lennie Niehaus Plays The Blues - Etudes for Vol. 42 "Blues In All Key

This is a book of his that I've heard nothing but good things about. It comes with a CD and you can hear the exercises and etudes played by an alto sax (Eb instrument), tenor sax (Bb instrument) and guitar (C instrument).

Jamey Aebersold Jazz: Jazz Conception For Saxophone - Basic #1 Book/CD

User Info Menu

Thanks to those who posted about the Fewell book, I just ordered it (I even upgraded the shipping in my excitement).

User Info Menu

Thanks to all who wrote in this post, except for Jerry Bergonzi, had no quality information.

All recommendations are welcome, and will be studied.
    I apologize for the lack of writing. I only know how to read English but not write.

Thanks friends

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    I have recently moved from the Bruno program to the Joseph Alexander books.

It is a natural extension of the Bruno school but in my opinion presented in a much much better way. Is more jazz and is all about how to build your own "jazz" lines, introducing outside notes in a easy to absorb way and more instructional on how when why to play them:

Fundamental Changes in Jazz Guitar: An In depth Study of Major ii V I Bebop Soloing: Mr Joseph Alexander: 9781480208247: Amazon.com: Books

at $10 for the ebook it is a ripper.

I started with the Blues one it was so good I thought I am going back to this one, the beginning. So glad I did, substituting the flat 9 for the route on the dominant chord, I did not know that, sounds fantastic. Playing the outside note on 4 I kind of new but doing exercises focused on that is accelerating my learning.

Cheers
    I also like his books and have all 3 (of course, i buy everything).

also like G. Fewell's

and this
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-J.../dp/0634009702

paulcw16 Guest
    Hal Crook's How to Improvise is also very good.

User Info Menu

I've had the following two books for a while now but never really spent much time with them, and I'm trying to decide which to focus on:

• A Melodic Approach by Garrison Fewell
    • Introduction to Jazz Guitar Improvisation by Joe Elliott

I know that they are both highly regarded, but I noted a couple of differences that make we wonder which is better for me to start off with:

1. From the limited time that I've spent with them, it seems like "Melodic Approach..." gives you a near instant "hip sound" (with the alternating triads generating color tones), while "Introduction..." starts off with the more rigorous "connecting game" to get you to really focus on hitting the chord tones through the changes (before moving on to color tones).

2. Also, "Melodic Approach..." starts off immediately with patterns that require shifting position, while "Introduction..." seems to be focused entirely on position playing. Not sure if it treats position shifting in a later chapter or not, but it mentions early on that if you learn the arpeggios in enough of the five patterns, then you can navigate through changing chords and even changing key centers without having to shift positions.

Any thoughts on which to focus on first?

User Info Menu

Introduction to Jazz Guitar Improvisation should be the first IMO. It's about the more fundamental skill of playing the changes.
    A melodic approach is more like a master class. It (implicitly) assumes that you already have some background in improvisation but helps you build better melodic lines by using triadic upper extensions. That's a particular device that's widely used and very effective. But typically people first focus on being able to play chord tone lines over tunes (with passing notes, chromatics and embellishments) and be able to voice lead them before worrying about line building.

User Info Menu

I beg to differ there (without saying which one should be focused on first). I don't see Garrison Fewell's book as a "master class" ("Harmonic Approach" may fit that description better).
    Somebody who has played guitar for a while but nothing in terms of jazz can dive right into it.
    On the topic of "connecting" - from about the middle of the book you'll be working on guide tones - first for chords/comping than using guide tones to build lines that connect the changes.

I don't know the other book so I can't give you a recommendation but Mr. Fewell's book really steered me in the right direction.

User Info Menu

My company, Chord Melody Guitar Music, has been in business now for 36 years and a lot of guitarists phone in their orders so I have gotten a lot of feedback over the years from various guitarists on different books and DVDs.

Although we have sold copies of both the Fewell and Elliott books no one has ever phoned and said whether they liked either of them or not so I can't provide you with any feedback on those.

Since you are interested in improvising, I can tell you that I have gotten consistently good feedback over the years from guitarists who have purchased and used The Ticket To Improv series of instructional DVDs by guitarist Robert Conti.

They are really pretty DIFFERENT books. Maybe start with the Fewell, but the other may have value in a different way later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Herron
    Ticket To Improv series of instructional DVDs by guitarist Robert Conti.
    Actually I have it already! (Vol 1) I forgot about this one, because it was packed away from when we moved. Also it's harder to browse through it without having a hard copy (just PDFs on the DVD I think). But I'll take a look. Chord Melody Assembly Line from the same author worked wonders for me.

I think that about does it for the improv books in my collection, unless you count the second half of Mickey Baker.

User Info Menu

Joe Elliot's book really helped me a lot. Not only does he give you instruction on what to play but how to practice it. This is the best book I've experienced on how to practice the lessons. A few pages of reading and a few weeks of practicing those pages.

User Info Menu

I have and gone through both books. The thing about the upper extensions (Fewell's book) is that they are melodic not harmonic (hence the name of the book). Upper extensions sound harmonically ambiguous therefore generally not very effective notes for "playing the changes" and outlining harmony. For that reason I consider it a more advanced topic. Yes, the book covers other things as well but "melodic extensions" is it's main focus as I remember.
    Joe Elliot's book about gets you to focus on outlining harmony over common progressions. That should be the primer for everything else to build upon. You got to hear the changes even of you don't always play them. The books approach trains you for that (there are also many other resources that teach the same fundamental skill).
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying being able to build lines using upper extensions isn't important, but if you're asking what would be the logical starting point, I'd say playing the changes.
    I also have Fewell's harmonic approach book. It's a jazz harmony book written in a unique style. It covers selected topics with an eye on improvisation rather than being an encyclopedic reference. Both of his books are extremely good. But that's a separate point.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 01-28-2019 at 12:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I would vote for
    • A Melodic Approach by Garrison Fewell

User Info Menu

I think triads are the jazz secret, and the perfect way to visualize harmony and melody in the guitar. I really like Garrison Fewell's book, but I think Jordan Klemons is setting the perfect path for be one with the sound in his NYCJAZZ GUITAR MELODIC TRIADS GROUP.

User Info Menu

Jody Fisher also has some good material.

User Info Menu

So many guitar tuition books out there! I am teaching a friend of mine plectrum guitar. I could buy a book online but a lot of books do not really tell you whats inside that book. He is a complete beginner. I am looking for a book that:
    a) Teaches how to read music
    b) Easy Scales
    c) Chords
    d) Possibly tab with the music but not essential
    e )Easy 'good old standard' tunes--not pop / heavy metal(!!!!!) and no photo's of the latest 'one minute wonder' groups etc.

Does such a book exist these days?
    Suggestions welcome.
    Many thanks.

User Info Menu

To be honest, that sounds like the old Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method.

Lots of kids quit guitar because of those books. But they’re not too bad if you’re motivated to read music and practice.

User Info Menu

You Can Teach Yourself Jazz Guitar eBook + Online Audio - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

Complete Jazz Guitar Method Book + Online Audio/Video - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

These two books are good if the student shows some talent early on. Otherwise the Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method would take the longer route.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I found the Leavitt book one and Mel Bays Modern guitar methods both good at teaching reading notation. The tunes in both are pretty nice to play on the guitar too. Nice for plectrum style playing.

User Info Menu

I realise this to be an old thread, but beginners will find it as long as JGF keeps it available.

To get started, Roger Edison's book gives you 60 chords that sound well together and fall under the hand in a logical fashion. They're all you'll ever need. Very utilitarian. You can add chords to these later from other books like Johnny Rector's or Baker's, but Edison explains how Rhythm Change tunes and 12-Bar tunes are put together. He provides seven tunes that explicitly use the chords and many 2-5 drills to get you nimble until the chords are engrained. Back-cycling and substitutions are explained very well. A book to keep forever, but you can master it quickly if you apply yourself moderately. You will be able to comp in any situation.
    Ideal for beginners, but out of print. I got lucky at a Value Village. However it's available to download:
    [Roger Edison] Jazz Rhythm Guitar | Popular Music | Jazz (scribd.com)

Also, Chord-Melody is a really crucial objective for any aspiring Jazz Guitarist, whether behind a singer or in a Jazz Group or playing alone in a pub or bar. Mel Bay has two books with about 20 of the most popular songs in each. Music notation and Tab for each song in all three styles: chord-melody, single-note soloing and comping. The tab gets you started quickly. Later you can improve on your reading.

Mel Bay Jazz Guitar Standards Vol1 and Vol2
    Jazz Guitar Standards Book - Alfred Publishing, Inc./Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

Jazz Guitar Standards II: Complete Approach to Playing Tunes Book - Alfred Publishing, Inc./Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

I've tried before, but now retired, I can earnestly start going through these three books and hope to play solo guitar as an amateur at any venue that will take me. Who knows, I might find a real gig, land a vocalist or just play with other musicians interested in the American Songbook. Cheers from Oshawa, Ontario!