The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    That says it all, really. No TAB in TAG or TOB. If you want to wean off TAB (a good goal), just cut a strip of paper to size and cover the TAB, then make a copy of the page you're working on. N/A to TAG or TOB.
    The bummer is that TAB doubles the number of page turns. I copy the tabbed score, cut the staffs and then copy a new sheet sans TAB. Minimizes the page turns.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One thing I don't like about books with tab and notation, they usually don't have fingerings or string indications in the notation. I'm used to reading classical guitar music, and like these aids in the music. I don't do it as often as I should, but sometimes I take the time to add these from the tab, just makes it a little easier for me than going back and forth.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    That says it all, really. No TAB in TAG or TOB. If you want to wean off TAB (a good goal), just cut a strip of paper to size and cover the TAB, then make a copy of the page you're working on. N/A to TAG or TOB.
    Or get a bottle of White-Out. Don't do the whole book at once - only the pieces you're working on. And only "white-out" every-other note or so - just go through there painting over a lot of the tab numbers. It renders the tab utterly senseless and you won't even be distracted by it. Faster than construction paper, in my experience.

That said, I think tab + notation is awesome. It seldom agrees, but that's the nature of the thing; you'll have to edit a bit. Tab leaves no doubt about fingering, and one can see at a glance the whole run of the piece. I love it, with notation. Piano would have tab if they could figure a good way.

kj

User Info Menu

Howard Roberts has a book call "Chord Melody" it is not in print any more but if you search you should be able to find a copy. It's my favorite.

User Info Menu

The Mickey Baker Book vol.1 is good. It looks dated but the information isn't.

User Info Menu

Hi 22
    I have the Hal Leonard Jazz Guitar Method and think its great. I haven't bought it, but took a look online at Hal Leonard Guitar Method and it looks pretty good as well and not expensive.
    I find books very helpful, other people think shun them - up to you, but for me this looks good to start.
    Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Hi again 22
    mrcee beat me to the reply suggesting Mickey Baker. I've got the Mickey Baker book but that's not a starter's book. Mickey Baker got me started on jazz but I'm afraid it doesn't get a recommendation from me, it's light on theory on IMO pushes you down routes without explaining why.
    But lots of people like it so it the old horses for courses routine.

User Info Menu

You're right about it being light on theory, etc. but a lot of rock and blues players in the sixties, myself included, used it to raise the bar. There's a Vol.2 with a yellow and orange cover that's more advanced but it doesn't seem to be as common as vol.1. I picked up a used Ronny Lee book somewhere that had some material aimed at beginning jazz players although it's written in standard notation. But that's OK. It's part of life and you've got to start sometime. I believe the lessons on comping could be valuable and accessible to a beginner though. I think it's called Jazz Guitar Method and may still be available.

Yup, this could be it.
    Jazz Guitar Method Book - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

User Info Menu

It's not perfect, but lots of people like Jody Fisher, Complete Jazz Guitar Method, 300+ pages combining 4 books: Beginner, Intermediate, Chord Melody, and Advanced

Many have learned from William Leavitt's books A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3. It's really good on the three areas you say you want to learn.

Another good book is Arnie Berle's, Chords and Progressions for Jazz and Popular Guitar. It might be good after you are making progress on learning the fretboard.

You might also consider getting the free MuseScore program and learning how to link music score and tab with this program. You can then use it to generate various exercises.

You may find it helpful to write out some of the patterns, etc. that you are learning. So, if you buy any of these guitar methods from a local music store, etc., also get a pad of fret diagrams and/or music score/tab. Alternatively or additionally, Neck Diagrams is a neat, inexpensive program (free trial, $25 and $49 versions.) Also, you can find templates for score, tab, and score+tab at Blank Sheet Music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 22tango

Time to fix that! I want to learn once and for all:
    • Where the notes are on the fretboard
    The way that worked really well for me was to use shiftable patterns of note locations. I used patterns based on root notes of the CAGED shapes, but I'm sure you could make use of any patterns you like. Take C for example, and you can make these patterns:

x3xx1x (the 'C' shape) x3x5xx (the 'A' shape) 8xx5x8 (the 'G' shape) 8x10xx8 ('E') and xx10x13x ('D')

Pick one note and play it in all those positions, up and down the neck, over and over with a metronome at a tempo where you can comfortably find each note. When you're not playing, visualize those shapes, and draw them. increase the tempo as you locate the notes more quickly. When you can do one note easily, choose another. Because the patterns are the same you'll find each subsequent note comes more quickly. I was really surprised how rapidly this worked. Now when I think of a note, I have it in all locations on all strings straight off.

The real bonus of this approach for me was that you also get a framework of root locations to base arpeggios and scales (CAGED or otherwise) off without any extra work.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies everybody! The Hal Leonard and Leavitt seem the 2 books to get for my level. Probably the Hal Leonard first (looks easier).

User Info Menu

yep, "Book 1" by Mel Bay or Hal Leonard.

William Leavitt has two books that can be worked through before going to his Modern Method, Volume 1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    William Leavitt has two books that can be worked through before going to his Modern Method, Volume 1.
    What are those 2 books? The "Berklee Basic Guitar" maybe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 22tango
    What are those 2 books? The "Berklee Basic Guitar" maybe?
    yes, Phase 1 and 2. they're OK, not fantastic, but then no "book 1" is.

"Book 1" is very important, but is also something to get past. the music gets better after that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    The Mickey Baker Book vol.1 is good. It looks dated but the information isn't.
    I love that old book. I still get things from it. Mickey's presentation was more intuitive than some other ones I know and that suited me (-'here's something nifty: play it and then start fooling around with it to see what else you can come up with') though it might be frustrating for someone who wants everything spelled out up front.

Does it cover everything? No. But can it get you to where you have something to say (and comp) over a blues, rhythm changes, and standards? Yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I love that old book. I still get things from it. Mickey's presentation was more intuitive than some other ones I know and that suited me (-'here's something nifty: play it and then start fooling around with it to see what else you can come up with') though it might be frustrating for someone who wants everything spelled out up front.

Does it cover everything? No. But can it get you to where you have something to say (and comp) over a blues, rhythm changes, and standards? Yes.
    I'd put the Pass and Galbraith books in the same category. Just play through the examples and all will be revealed!

User Info Menu

I write to ask about books on improvisation.

I have many musical references, and I can play some tunes music

I know about guitar methods, but they are technical exercises.

I know something about music theory, not very advanced, but would like to see this in practice.
    I really like guitarists herb ellis, Kuney Burrell, Patrick saussouis and Django.

I also like very much like playing Paul Desmond, grover Washintong, Lester Young, Ben Webster, and many more.

I only know Jerry Bergonzi books that have very good job.

I wonder books on improvisation, arpeggios and guitar composition practically.

I do not like anything Leavit books or mel bay.

I played for the books that I have, and I like to play melodies, but also compose and improvise.

I had bad teachers who did not teach more than fingerings for scales and tablature songs and soon go back to school and would like to have good advice.

I like many musical styles, but I am looking for ways to make my own music.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Garrison Fewells books are really good, also for an intermediate player. Very nicely written.
    It pains me to say this, but mr Fewell passed away this weekend, rendering this small jazzworld a whole lot sadder.

Amazon.com: Jazz Improvisation for Guitar: A Melodic Approach (9780634017728): Garrison Fewell: Books

Ted

User Info Menu

@Ted, there is a paperback version and a sheet music version. Which would you recommend?

thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

I have recently moved from the Bruno program to the Joseph Alexander books.

It is a natural extension of the Bruno school but in my opinion presented in a much much better way. Is more jazz and is all about how to build your own "jazz" lines, introducing outside notes in a easy to absorb way and more instructional on how when why to play them:

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-Ch.../dp/1480208248

at $10 for the ebook it is a ripper.

I started with the Blues one it was so good I thought I am going back to this one, the beginning. So glad I did, substituting the flat 9 for the route on the dominant chord, I did not know that, sounds fantastic. Playing the outside note on 4 I kind of new but doing exercises focused on that is accelerating my learning.

Cheers

User Info Menu

I second the recommendation for the Garrison Fewell books. They provide the clearest and best approach to organizing the fingerboard that I've seen in all the years I've been playing. I use it with my students and I dearly wish it had been available when I started to play guitar.

User Info Menu

@ edh. I got the paperback books. They are those standard large format with glue binding. Cant comment on any other format, as I havent seen them.

Ted

User Info Menu

I really liked "Jazz Improvisation for guitar" by Les Wise.

User Info Menu

Based on your post you may like the Herb Ellis Books. The approach is based on Shapes and how the shapes relate to scales, arpeggios and the chords. There are also solos that show how to apply the shapes. There are three of them, Swing Blues, All the Shapes You Are and Rhythm Shapes. I have the precursor Blues Shapes and it has been helpful even though I play more traditional blues as it shows you possibilities over chord types. Good luck

User Info Menu

Quoting a post of my own from 2013:

As a man with a shelf full of jazz guitar books, most of which gather dust, I would definitely recommend 'Jazz Improvisation for Guitar, A Melodic Approach' by Garrison Fewell. The exercises actually sound like jazz and the examples show how the book's concepts crop up in the solos of many jazz guitar greats. Here are some videos of Mr Fewell demonstrating some examples from the book: