The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Yeah, you'd know a V if you felt it...and the V's are just on the acoustic models.

As for the Gretsch...i dunno...but a good archtop does NOT sound twangy and jangly in my opinion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    As for the Gretsch...i dunno...but a good archtop does NOT sound twangy and jangly in my opinion.

Well, let's define "twangy and jangly." I shouldn't have said "twangy." But "jangly," is the *beautiful* quality I hear in that archtop being strummed in the theme music of The Andy Griffith Show. That "slack-strings" sound that I'd only ever heard from a 25.5" scale guitar. That's what I mean by jangly. The Gretsch is a short-scale, so now I've heard it from that kind of guitar. Ranger Doug's Strombergs have that sound.

Single-note wise, there's no jangle, obviously.

Actually, one of my goals as a guitar player is to find a guitar that sounds like the one on Andy Griffith. Jesus, that's a great sound. I wonder who played that, and what kind of guitar it was. Anybody know?

User Info Menu

Oh...i suppose we just define jangly very differently...jangle to me is high end and harmonics...somebody strumming a Rickenbacker electric...

User Info Menu

Weird. When I bought it the specs actually said it had a V-Neck. Maybe a mistake. Regardless, I still love the guitar haha.

Since so many of you shared such helpful responses to my opening question I thought I'd offer a follow-up (and Jtizzle: thank you for the very generous offer to try your 350 in NY).

I actually found a used Loar LH-600 at Rudy's Soho in NYC for a good price, which I bought last week (based on all of your strong recommendations that I try before I buy). It felt and sounded terrific, as I hoped, and while the neck is beefy and listed as a vintage V shape, it feels pretty rounded to my inexperienced hands. (They also had a new 700 which had a very pronounced and unmistakable V feel, totally different.) Given that my skills are still pretty rudimentary I also benefited from hearing two employees, and then Rudy himself, trading the guitar around, playing a variety of jazz styles, generally praising the guitar. They also had a 1968 Gibson L-50 in great shape that sounded very very good -- but I have to say, the Loar played better, had a wider/more comfortable nut size, and had a very different but not hugely inferior sound (the Gibson, to my untrained ears sounded very clean, clear, sharp (in a good way) and loud, while the Loar was a bit warmer and fuller (maybe rounder?) sounding

The folks at Rudy's were amazing. They played for me, looked over the Loar carefully, put on new strings, cleaned the finger board, adjusted intonation and truss/rod neck relief and made sure it was all good before I took it home.And I have been loving playing it for the past few days. It has the super dry, percussive, quick decay sound I'd hoped for. Now if only I could sort that middle stage between knowing the chord progressions for a handful of standards and playing chord melody (which is still beyond me). There doesn't seem to be much instructional material between that first stage and what then seems to be a much more advanced stage. I'm just hoping to find more rhythmically interesting/musical ways of playing the songs (beyond four to the bar and simple charleston) and maybe some first steps of combining chords with a few melody notes -- but not even sure where/how to begin. But that's a question for another thread.

I am grateful that people here steered me from the LH-300 to the LH-600 and feel perfectly happy with the copy I found.

User Info Menu

The Godin 5th Avenues sounds like a laminate archtop, whihc is what it is.

They are much better made than the Loars, but much quieter and thinner sounding. They probably mike up well, which is not to be sniffed at actually.

Macaferri's are great, and I love playing one, but it is the Django thing, single strings, la pompe chords.

With the Loar you can get a lot of dynamic contrast, it's like playing a piano, great for chord solos and the like, less good perhaps acoustically for single note lines, a very warm yet driving sound for American style flat 4 rhythm.

I also quite like the new Gretsch New Yorker. But much brighter than the Loar.

Horses for courses....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gwilder
    Since so many of you shared such helpful responses to my opening question I thought I'd offer a follow-up (and Jtizzle: thank you for the very generous offer to try your 350 in NY).

I actually found a used Loar LH-600 at Rudy's Soho in NYC for a good price, which I bought last week (based on all of your strong recommendations that I try before I buy). It felt and sounded terrific, as I hoped, and while the neck is beefy and listed as a vintage V shape, it feels pretty rounded to my inexperienced hands. (They also had a new 700 which had a very pronounced and unmistakable V feel, totally different.) Given that my skills are still pretty rudimentary I also benefited from hearing two employees, and then Rudy himself, trading the guitar around, playing a variety of jazz styles, generally praising the guitar. They also had a 1968 Gibson L-50 in great shape that sounded very very good -- but I have to say, the Loar played better, had a wider/more comfortable nut size, and had a very different but not hugely inferior sound (the Gibson, to my untrained ears sounded very clean, clear, sharp (in a good way) and loud, while the Loar was a bit warmer and fuller (maybe rounder?) sounding

The folks at Rudy's were amazing. They played for me, looked over the Loar carefully, put on new strings, cleaned the finger board, adjusted intonation and truss/rod neck relief and made sure it was all good before I took it home.And I have been loving playing it for the past few days. It has the super dry, percussive, quick decay sound I'd hoped for. Now if only I could sort that middle stage between knowing the chord progressions for a handful of standards and playing chord melody (which is still beyond me). There doesn't seem to be much instructional material between that first stage and what then seems to be a much more advanced stage. I'm just hoping to find more rhythmically interesting/musical ways of playing the songs (beyond four to the bar and simple charleston) and maybe some first steps of combining chords with a few melody notes -- but not even sure where/how to begin. But that's a question for another thread.

I am grateful that people here steered me from the LH-300 to the LH-600 and feel perfectly happy with the copy I found.
    Glad you are happy with your new guitar!

Correction:
    I know there is a lot of misinformation out there and I don't want to unwittingly contribute to it. So yes, after playing my Loar 600 alongside my other guitars the neck is definitely a V shape -- it's nicely/softly contoured but definitely an unmistakable V shape (for those who do or don't like this shape).

User Info Menu

How do users find the v-neck on the LH-300? Is it comfortable if you are used to a c-neck?

I quickly adjusted to the soft-V neck on the LH-600. The neck is full but not fat and the v present but not prominent. Though it could certainly bother others. I love the guitar (despite rudimentary skills).

User Info Menu

to my mind it could bothering to those who play with more 'classical guitar' left hand style - because v-neck definitely increases efforts in this case and makes you to change your habits significantly.. may cause pain.. if you play with more kind of blues grip with thumb over the neck - it could be even more comfortable to grib - depends if course...

Hey guys, i like the sound of the Loar LH-300 and LH-600 but the problem is that they don't come with a pickup. Do you know if it's a way to put a good pickup on that guitar?? and it will still have the natural sound of the guitar? Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FilTheCaptain
    Hey guys, i like the sound of the Loar LH-300 and LH-600 but the problem is that they don't come with a pickup. Do you know if it's a way to put a good pickup on that guitar?? and it will still have the natural sound of the guitar? Cheers
    I have the Loar 300, and I have a floating CC humbucker pickup made my Pete Biltoft from the USA. Great Pickup, has a great voice for the guitar. Before that I had one of these: Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 – Thomann UK - a guild rhythm chief 1000, and i didn't have any tone or volume like i do now, it was just plug in and play, it sounded nice too, but this pickup by Pete is just amazing.
    Loar LH-300 vs LH-600-32169095_1728511737229125_2495662258546278400_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32158776_1728511800562452_4410577219924000768_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32267312_1729650587115240_6692172016310550528_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32266819_1729650543781911_8919096543353503744_n-jpg

User Info Menu

I think Krivo pickups have the best solutions for this. I use a Djangobucker on mine - just blue tack it on.

I had a floating pickup before but didn’t like it - too close to the strings and actually touched the sound board and interfere with the sound.

Could prob do a perm install if you liked but I like this one being an acoustic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    I have the Loar 300, and I have a floating CC humbucker pickup made my Pete Biltoft from the USA. Great Pickup, has a great voice for the guitar. Before that I had one of these: Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1000 – Thomann UK - a guild rhythm chief 1000, and i didn't have any tone or volume like i do now, it was just plug in and play, it sounded nice too, but this pickup by Pete is just amazing.
    Loar LH-300 vs LH-600-32169095_1728511737229125_2495662258546278400_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32158776_1728511800562452_4410577219924000768_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32267312_1729650587115240_6692172016310550528_n-jpgLoar LH-300 vs LH-600-32266819_1729650543781911_8919096543353503744_n-jpg
    That’s pretty tempting actually ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That’s pretty tempting actually ....
    I'll be at the Barry Harris Workshop on the 8th August, if you're about for those too you can check it out in person!

Thanks a lot man, the only problem is that i'm Portuguese..will i manage to get one of those without getting too expensive?? How much it cost you??

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot man, the only problem is that i'm Portuguese..will i manage to get one of those without getting too expensive?? How much it cost you??
    His prices are great for what you get. You get amazing pickups for such a good price. You can find his website if you Google vintage vibe guitars and you can email him. He replies pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    I'll be at the Barry Harris Workshop on the 8th August, if you're about for those too you can check it out in person!
    In London? Cool hopefully see you there.