The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hello! I'm quite new in jazz, but have played classical and pop/rock/blues for many years. My interest in jazz has always been there, but I took my first steps to learn something jazzy when I bought my Furch A17, which I do not regret at all! I'm just wondering which amp could be good for this guitar, which will be used mainly in my rather small home studio.

I've considered Fender Blues jr. and Roland Cube 60. One problem with my Furch is the rather strong feedback, which comes on different notes depending on the amp/speaker. So which amp could give the fat, jazzy sound without strong feedback? Do I need a monster amp, or maybe for recording I should depend on software like Guitar Rig?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had never heard of Furch, so I Googled them. That A17 is one beautiful guitar.

FURCH - výrobce kytar znaèky Furch a Stanford

I use a 1963 Farfisa 100W piano accordion amp with my jazz boxes - Ibz AG95 and Cort Larry Coryell - I get some feedback but often if I alter my seating angle, relative to the angle of the amp, I can cut out most of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    I had never heard of Furch, so I Googled them. That A17 is one beautiful guitar.

FURCH - výrobce kytar znaèky Furch a Stanford

I use a 1963 Farfisa 100W piano accordion amp with my jazz boxes - Ibz AG95 and Cort Larry Coryell - I get some feedback but often if I alter my seating angle, relative to the angle of the amp, I can cut out most of it.
    Yep, one nice looking guitar for sure,

but

FARFISA!! My first ever musical instrument that wasn't a hand-me-down was a Farfisa organ. It was never going to be a B-3, but it could Woolly Bully with the best of them!!

Nostalgia - it's not what it used to be......

User Info Menu

Actually mango there is an Aus element to this. Farfisas were made in Australia at one stage. An OZ component maker imported Farfisa boxes and control panels to house Oz components. The Farfisas always had that 60's hip Italian styling and we used to make a lot of electrical components here.

User Info Menu

I use an Evans RE200 Hybrid, which I am very pleased with. I also have a Roland Jazz chorus that I have used for years.

http://www.evansamps.com/
    Last edited by trtjazz; 01-30-2009 at 12:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I suggest you try the Roland Cube series. They are really great for jazz.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll really have to check out those jazz boxes you mention, never heard of them, do they still produce stuff like that?
    And maybe a keyboard type of amp could be the right one? Interesting...

User Info Menu

I've borrowed a Roland Cube 30x from my local music instrument dealer. I like the sound of it, but a certain "hissy" noise is very disturbing - it's just the same with my Fender Strat on the same amp.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not familiar with a hissy noise coming out of my Cube 60. A friend of mine who is using the 30X never mentioned any problem of that kind. Are you using any onboard digital fx which is maybe causing this problem?

User Info Menu

I have a Fender twin (Bit to bright for Jazz, great for my strat though). For my Archtop I use a Roland Cube 60, fantastic warm sound and NO hiss! I also treated my self to a Boss GT10, the compressor and reverb are absolutley brilliant! I now have that George Benson sound, pitty I dont have his fingers

Eddie

User Info Menu

Hello!

User Info Menu

Hello, maybe the 60 Cube could be a good choice. I'll have to check out if that hissy sound could be something created by some local electrical earthing problem. The 30x Cube is delivered without earthinh though...

User Info Menu

Thank you, I'll have to try that 60 Cube. I' ve considered the JC 120 too.

User Info Menu

My favorite amp was a Marshall "Blues Breaker" which unfortunately caught fire live on stage at the Cork jazz festival (97)! It made Herbie Flowers smile though!

Eddie

User Info Menu

Did you play with Herbie Flowers, mersey? He's got legend status in about 4 different genres. He even played the Lou Reed Transformer album as I recall - I think Tuba on some tracks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olekeme
    Hello! I'm quite new in jazz, but have played classical and pop/rock/blues for many years. My interest in jazz has always been there, but I took my first steps to learn something jazzy when I bought my Furch A17, which I do not regret at all! I'm just wondering which amp could be good for this guitar, which will be used mainly in my rather small home studio.

I've considered Fender Blues jr. and Roland Cube 60. One problem with my Furch is the rather strong feedback, which comes on different notes depending on the amp/speaker. So which amp could give the fat, jazzy sound without strong feedback? Do I need a monster amp, or maybe for recording I should depend on software like Guitar Rig?

Very nice guitar. It's quite popular in Hungary, thanks to the expert dealer.

I would say Roland AC serie, or for a bit more Schertler amps. But for home studio, you'll need a good mic, or a stereo matched pair. Shure SMs are also good for this purpose.

User Info Menu

Hello, I'm hungarian too, I left Hungary in 1957, and I still speak fluently, and I'm writing in hungarian too. I've now made my decision, I've bought a new Roland 120 Jazzchorus, also good for other guitars and boxes etc. A stereo mic? Could it be Røde? What about different mono mics, I have a preamp which has a phase shifter if that should be a problem.My local dealer says Sennheiser 906 is a better choice than Shure SM57.