The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 104 of 104

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what you mean by a Yamaha endorsee, I just happen to like Yamaha guitars, they tend to play accurately, have a good control of their manufacturing process. This applies to all areas of production, Made In Japan, Made In Korea or Made In China.

I can say this since I've six Yamaha's left in my collection - 1978 SF1000 (MIJ), 2002 APX9C (Made in China), 2004 AEX1500C (MIJ), 2010 NCX700 (Made in China or Made in Korea?), 2015 AES1500B (MIJ), 2016 SA2200 (MIJ). At the same time I've an Ibanez PM120 (2004 MIJ) and an LGB30 (Made in Korea 2015).

Each guitar is an incredibly well made instrument - the MIJ may have higher quality materials used in their construction but the Chinese and Korean made one's are, in my view, pretty much just as good. In fact, neither Yamaha nor Ibanez build anything other than quality instruments ....

I'm not sure whether that makes me a Yamaha endorsee or not. I've also 4 Fender's, 1 Gibson, 2 Taylor's, a Vicente Sanchis and an Epiphone: I have more Yamaha's though - 6 to 11!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova1962
    I'm not sure what you mean by a Yamaha endorsee, I just happen to like Yamaha guitars, they tend to play accurately, have a good control of their manufacturing process. This applies to all areas of production, Made In Japan, Made In Korea or Made In China.

I can say this since I've six Yamaha's left in my collection - 1978 SF1000 (MIJ), 2002 APX9C (Made in China), 2004 AEX1500C (MIJ), 2010 NCX700 (Made in China or Made in Korea?), 2015 AES1500B (MIJ), 2016 SA2200 (MIJ). At the same time I've an Ibanez PM120 (2004 MIJ) and an LGB30 (Made in Korea 2015).

Each guitar is an incredibly well made instrument - the MIJ may have higher quality materials used in their construction but the Chinese and Korean made one's are, in my view, pretty much just as good. In fact, neither Yamaha nor Ibanez build anything other than quality instruments ....

I'm not sure whether that makes me a Yamaha endorsee or not. I've also 4 Fender's, 1 Gibson, 2 Taylor's, a Vicente Sanchis and an Epiphone: I have more Yamaha's though - 6 to 11!
    I have an Indonesian made Yamaha Pacifica 012, the cheapest one, which I have been gigging with. It's not the best sounding guitar I've ever played, but it sounds ok and its playability is superb.

User Info Menu

I think what I've learnt is, it isn't where it's made, but how it's made! Then, to cut a long story short, it is how you play it that counts. Any guitar (well certainly one that stays in tune), in sympathetic hands, can sound amazing.

If you are happy with your Pacifica, which you should be, since Yamaha make quality guitars at every price point, I hope you have many years of happy playing and (this applies to all us guitarists) learning something new every day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova1962
    It is an Epiphone Emperor Regent Joe Pass, manufactured 1st August 1999 in Korea. For the price I paid (£300), it is a bargain and plays a dream ....
    I see... Broadway is bigger box. Mine was Unsung 2014, very playable and beautidul guitar. And great acoustic volume and tone for loaded laminate top.
    I sold it finally...
    I think if I had Regent of the same quality I would have kept it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a Yamaha endorsee
    Nothing wrong.. it's just not that often that you see many Yamaha's with a jazz playing guy...
    I owned Pacifica long ago it was nice.. and my office is next to huge store of official Yamaha dealer so during last few years I tried plenty of them)
    They are good... but there's always something that stops me when I think to buy one. They feel like neutral.