The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 104

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    What do you guys think of this whole thing about when you change threads you can't like anything for the first 100 posts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    You're mistaken, you can't go into an old zombie thread and like posts made by forum members that haven't been active for a years and years. You can like posts by more recently active members.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FZ2017
    My question is do you prefer acoustic or electric guitar period.

If you like stuff earlier than Charlie Christian, you may as well use a banjo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    You're mistaken, you can't go into an old zombie thread and like posts made by forum members that haven't been active for a years and years. You can like posts by more recently active members.
    Oh cuz I was talking in this thread somebody asking if there's anything to girls making straight As-4.0 in high school and totally dropping off in College. It was recent and it wouldn't let me like anything!

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Sorry, didn't look at the date on that - Jan 2009! Recently resurrected, of course, which is why I saw it. That's 9 or 10 years ago. Possibly before your kids arrived... Time whooshes by, doesn't it?

Not to worry, it'll last. Thanks for replying. A lot of my old stuff is on cassette tape and god knows what condition it's in now. Not sure I even know where it is

User Info Menu

Of course you need an archtop to play jazz guitar! An expensive one!

And, you absolutely need the most expensive high modulus graphite fly rod to catch fish.

Those unwise enough to catch fish on a cheap rod are not to be emulated.

User Info Menu

Well no obviously, but it is nice to use a guitar that has some acoustic voice for solo standards, just so you don't have to cart an amp or laptop or something similar everywhere you go.

User Info Menu

Do you want to buy a new guitar?

I will tailor the answer accordingly.

User Info Menu

Gabor Szabo: Martin D-41.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Of course you need an archtop to play jazz guitar! An expensive one!

And, you absolutely need the most expensive high modulus graphite fly rod to catch fish.

Those unwise enough to catch fish on a cheap rod are not to be emulated.
    All true of course.

And let's not forget that one needs a high-powered, extremely fast, and luxurious "motacah" (automobile) to put around town with - especially if all the distances are short.
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 03-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Go to Youtube and search for Ted Greene, Ed Bickert, Tim Lerch for a start. All play solid bodies (Teles for the most part).

User Info Menu

You only need an archtop if you want the archtop sound.

If you do, a Tele will NOT cut it (and vice versa, BTW).

User Info Menu

Due to age related shoulder problems, I've been playing a Stratocaster for the last 12 years. I love the ergonomics and feel, but it took mucho adjustment of EQ on amp and guitar. Now it's fine. Seems like nobody want to turn knobs anymore. I have always loved electric guitar, hollow, semi, solid. I've always felt the the amp is part of the instrument. Kind regards to everyone.

User Info Menu

You don't need one but damn if they aren't awesome instruments! Very expensive though some of them are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman1021
    Due to age related shoulder problems, I've been playing a Stratocaster for the last 12 years. I love the ergonomics and feel, but it took mucho adjustment of EQ on amp and guitar. Now it's fine. Seems like nobody want to turn knobs anymore. I have always loved electric guitar, hollow, semi, solid. I've always felt the the amp is part of the instrument. Kind regards to everyone.
    When people say "tone is in the fingers" keep in mind that fingers can turn knobs and flick switches.

User Info Menu

As others said: No. You don´t NEED it. The important thing is the tone and action you can live with. and other factors like the kind of music you play, whether it is at home, recording/rehearsal studio, kind of venues, PA availability, among other factors.

User Info Menu

Jazz can be played on most any type guitar but a lot of people listen with their eyes and the traditional jazz guitar look is a big hollow body archtop style guitar. The problem with those type guitars is if the volume starts creeping up you stand the risk of the big body archtops feeding back uncontrollably so to play it safe I actually prefer semi hollow body guitars, they work great no matter what style or volume you play at so if someone calls a funk or rock tune on the bandstand you’re covered Very versatile guitars. But that being said a traditional big body archtop with flat wound strings is the most common jazz guitar tone for that old traditional jazz guitar sound and it is a very pleasing one for sure for that specific style but don’t try playing any bendy blues rock on an archtop with heavy gauge flatwound strings at higher volumes with a loud drummer ! lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twangbar
    Jazz can be played on most any type guitar but a lot of people listen with their eyes and the traditional jazz guitar look is a big hollow body archtop style guitar. The problem with those type guitars is if the volume starts creeping up you stand the risk of the big body archtops feeding back uncontrollably so to play it safe I actually prefer semi hollow body guitars, they work great no matter what style or volume you play at so if someone calls a funk or rock tune on the bandstand you’re covered Very versatile guitars. But that being said a traditional big body archtop with flat wound strings is the most common jazz guitar tone for that old traditional jazz guitar sound and it is a very pleasing one for sure for that specific style but don’t try playing any bendy blues rock on an archtop with heavy gauge flatwound strings at higher volumes with a loud drummer ! lol
    Get a bit of cardboard, print out a picture of a Gibson L5 and stick it to the front of your tele.

User Info Menu

Semi hollows offend me by their very existence. They are the decaff coffee of the guitar world.

And they look stupid too with those Mickey Mouse ears.

Literally, if you play one, you are a Mickey Mouse guitarist. Yeah you, I'm looking at you, Carlton.

User Info Menu

i’d rather play the french horn than a semi hollow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Semi hollows offend me by their very existence. They are the decaff coffee of the guitar world.

Literally, if you play one, you are a Mickey Mouse guitarist. Yeah you, I'm looking at you, Carlton.
    Har har ... You funny ...

I wouldn't kick a nice 330 out of bed

User Info Menu

I tried playing an ES 335 on a big band sight reading gig. What an embarrassing mistake. My neck hand position was off by 2 inches, kept grabbing grips in the wrong spot, the neck was so dang long compared to anything else I play. The neck joins the body at the 19th fret! I'd have to play it for a dozen hours or more to get used to that for reading. Same with the long neck es 330, I much prefer the short version that joins at fret 16.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Might I have a word with you, good Sir?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i’d rather play the french horn than a semi hollow
    I've played both. Having started on trumpet, I obliged our Jr.Hi band director by switching to French Horn and continued through Sr.Hi. As it happened, my horn was a double, with tubulation for both the keys of F and Bb. Marching around wind-swept semi-frozen mud-encrusted blizzard-ridden football fields with that 12 pound contraption frozen to my upper lip made my later 10 pound Les Paul Custom (Bigsby) seem like nothing.
    As to semi-hollows, you can pry my ES-345 from my cold, dead fingers. Hopefully at a later date.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I tried playing an ES 335 on a big band sight reading gig. What an embarrassing mistake. My neck hand position was off by 2 inches, kept grabbing grips in the wrong spot, the neck was so dang long compared to anything else I play. The neck joins the body at the 19th fret! I'd have to play it for a dozen hours or more to get used to that for reading. Same with the long neck es 330, I much prefer the short version that joins at fret 16.
    Yeah short neck .....

A long neck isn't a real 330 ...

<ducks>