Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin
On the topic of the thread. I personally have not seen such a comprehensive manual, which the author of the post asks about. And I think that it is very difficult to create a universal method, if only because we all have different preferences in music (and even those often change).
Long time forum lurker here.

FWIW - I have never found a comprehensive method for learning Jazz guitar either. And it’s certainly not from lack of trying.

But I’m not sure it’s due to the distinct goals or personalities of individual students.

I mean every other style of Western music, be it Classical, Blues, or Bluegrass has established methods and curriculum for learning.

Even Rock and Metal, relatively young genres, have a pedagogy that is well known and easily followed. It doesn’t make any of them easy genres to learn, you still have to woodshed. But there is no mystery about how/what to work on.

But Jazz is different somehow. Methods of learning are as varied as the player writing the book or giving the lesson.

Plus the barrier to entry is much higher than something like Rock or Country. Jazz cannot be faked in that way. You know it or you don’t.

And finally, even if you are lucky enough to find a great teacher and you practice everything they give you diligently, that’s still no
guarantee that you won’t turn out as a complete hack.

Jazz is just harder to learn than other forms of music and that is probably by design.

I said what I said.