The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I absolutely respect your point of view but for me is funnier that way.
    I know some think that learning has to hurt but I don't think that.
    Leavitt musical examples are great, I don't want to mean another thing, but my motivation grew if I think that I am playing a Miles Davis song better than a musical exercise.
    May be I am not that wrong if Berklee made a book for this approach:
    Modern Method for Guitar Songbook - Jazz Bk/CD: Larry Baione: 9780876390733: Amazon.com: Books

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kojo - yes, but Leavitt expects the student to be playing tunes by the time he/she is studying volume 2.

In other words, the student can forego "repertoire" while studying volume 1 if they wish but should not continue that pattern after moving on to level 2. at that point the method should be seen in a more traditional light - that is - as part of one's technical studies. A recital/semester test of at least 3 tunes should be prepared every 6 months or so after starting level 2. (a hint: The number of original solos/etudes falls off in volumes 2 and 3 relative to volume 1. volumes 2 and 3 are focused on, and chock full of, technique.)

then another question becomes, how does one introduce improv studies relative to the Leavitt volumes? have an opinion?
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 10-23-2012 at 08:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I went to Berklee in the 90's. A couple of teachers I had were sticklers for Bill Leavitt's books. I'm glad they were, as I learned so much from those books. Volume 2 is my favorite as it focuses on position playing vs. open strings.

User Info Menu

I finished book 7 of Mel Bay expanded about a month ago. I'm on page 60-odd of William Leavitt 3 right now. I have the classical studies melodic rhythm and the readings studies books. Both are good. I was in Leavitts and using MB as reading studies but at books 5,6,7 there are things not covered so throughly in Leavitts books so they are very necessary to study imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob65C
    I was in Leavitts and using MB as reading studies but at books 5,6,7 there are things not covered so throughly in Leavitts books so they are very necessary to study imo.
    I recall seeing the expanded books by MB but never bought them. Can you elaborate on their content please?

Jammin' The Blues and Rhythm Changes?

User Info Menu

My experience has been to use Mel Bay with young students as it moves very slowly. I love Leavitt's method for more mature students who can either already play guitar or want to learn how to read music. It is not IMHO a good book to learn improv, but it is an excellent method for reading on guitar and playing in any key in any position

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    I recall seeing the expanded books by MB but never bought them. Can you elaborate on their content please?

Jammin' The Blues and Rhythm Changes?

They have an entire page of all the chords, major minor Dom 7 and m7b5 . In notation. Then there's review of the key in 4 positions. A couple pages of music then the relative minor. Same thing all over again. Also a few pages if quartal harmony for each. He does all 12 keys and a few enharmonic ones as well.
    It goes well beyond the chords in notation in Leavitts books just by sheer volume. Early in the 2 methods if you can read and play Leavitt the Mel Bay is a cinch. Toward the end its the other way around...

Also everything from the original Mel Bay is in the expanded books along with about as much more written by Mel's son William Bay.