The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

Edit, March 2016: I rec'd a message from a fellow forum member that the mp3's had disappeared from my posts in this thread. Many (all? I don't know) of them can be found here: Box

Rob has already done videos for this book so I'm not sure mine will add much. But I did want to record my way through the book.

I am adding mp3 backing tracks for the exercises. I'm using the lesson number followed by a exercise number so 2.1 means lesson 2 exercise 1. The backing tracks are at the bottom of this post.

So here I go, feel free to join in if you want. I think this will take me a while.

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 12:27 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good. Cuts out all my waffle

User Info Menu

Thanks Fep, much appreciated. Love the backing track.

User Info Menu

Hey fep,

You do so much for this forum Thanks for sharing and leading the way.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, Thanks for joining in.

I just figured out it would be much quicker for me to make one BIAB backing track for a whole lesson instead of doing separate ones for each exercise and splicing them together. So just one backing track for the whole lesson. Each exercise is separated by two measures of drums only, the backing track runs through the whole page twice (the video just once).

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey, fep I think this is definitely a better way to do it. How do you create these backing tracks with BIAB, especially with that trumpet solo in one of them. When I try to create backing track with BIAB they sound so lifeless.

User Info Menu

Hey Smokin, What version of BIAB do you have?

I have BIAB 2011. Those backing tracks are all done with the "realtracks". I like them so much better than the midi tracks. (However in the 2012 version there is something called "super midi tracks" which are midi played in by musicians so they are not robotic like programed midi. I'm haven't heard or worked with those.)

User Info Menu

Mickey Bakers 1st chord is G:

I'm often going to play it like this:

3x543x

It voice leads to his other voicings better.

On the backing track for this one I put two measure fillers at the end of staves, 1 , 2, 3, 4, 6.

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 12:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos-lesson-5-jpg
    Last edited by fep; 09-10-2015 at 08:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hey Smokin, What version of BIAB do you have?

I have BIAB 2011. Those backing tracks are all done with the "realtracks". I like them so much better than the midi tracks. (However in the 2012 version there is something called "super midi tracks" which are midi played in by musicians so they are not robotic like programed midi. I'm haven't heard or worked with those.)
    Hey, Fep I have BIAB 2010. I also have a program that came with BIAB 2010 called realband which feature real tracks. This program was released by the same company that design BIAB. My problem with this program is I've never figured how to get the damn thing working. Do you know about this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    Hey, Fep I have BIAB 2010. I also have a program that came with BIAB 2010 called realband which feature real tracks. This program was released by the same company that design BIAB. My problem with this program is I've never figured how to get the damn thing working. Do you know about this?
    You know, I was thinking, it's not just that I have 2011, I have the ultrapluspak that came with all the realtracks at that time. I think they include a few realtrack styles in all versions as a tease. Try to find one and use that just to check out the quality.

The realtracks are separate from the realband software. I tried the realband software for maybe 30 minutes several years ago to see what it was about. It's a DAW software with an extra feature of importing realtracks into songs or sections of songs. That extra feature is cool.

Since I have a DAW software I already like to use, I haven't been using the Realband software and am unfamiliar with the details of how to use it.

User Info Menu

Backing track for lesson 5 is below (it's Lesson 4 but in Bb)

Lesson 5 instructed us to take Lesson 4 and transpose it to Ab F & Bb. Here it is in Bb:

And Lesson 6

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing! Such videos and mp3s are extremely valuable, I often refer to the similar threads for Leavitt's MMFG, they help tremendously.

One thing that also helps me for M.B.'s method is to write down transpositions and ideas in a notebook. It's also a great tool to get a better picture of what's going on (imho).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aant
    Thanks for sharing! Such videos and mp3s are extremely valuable, I often refer to the similar threads for Leavitt's MMFG, they help tremendously.

One thing that also helps me for M.B.'s method is to write down transpositions and ideas in a notebook. It's also a great tool to get a better picture of what's going on (imho).
    Hi Aunt, It's good to see you posting here, thanks for checking in.

Cool, if it works for you, go for it. After all that is what M.B. recommended. It's a journey of discovery, isn't it? One needs to find what works for them.

Looking ahead, lesson 17... for me that's when the rubber hits the road. That is where I'll get into doing some analysis of what Mickey is teaching and apply it to some jazz standards. I hope you'll stick around until then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hi Aunt, It's good to see you posting here, thanks for checking in.

Cool, if it works for you, go for it. After all that is what M.B. recommended. It's a journey of discovery, isn't it? One needs to find what works for them.

Looking ahead, lesson 17... for me that's when the rubber hits the road. That is where I'll get into doing some analysis of what Mickey is teaching and apply it to some jazz standards. I hope you'll stick around until then.
    So do I! I'm really enjoying the method so far and intend to finish it to finally be able to play some jazz. Recording and posting sounds is another story, with a full time job this process becomes very time consuming.

I can't wait till lesson 17, but my pace is kind of slow - which is ok, that journey into jazz guitar is endless anyway, isn't it?

Looking forward to watching more of your great videos,

Aant

User Info Menu

As the part of the exercise of making up our own, I did the 3rd exercise again but with a bossa rhythm.

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 09:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Fep!
    I've been playing some of his 'solo' exercises lately as part of my daily warm-ups. It's time to go back through the chord lessons and pick up what I missed the last time 'round. Thanks for the inspiration.

User Info Menu

Kojo, at this point in the method use the same chord forms throughout the playable range of your particular guitar. I think it's fine to jump down towards the nut if you have to. There is indeed value in trying to play these chords way up the neck but there are certainly limits of what's possible, and as you've observed, that depends on the guitar.

-----

Mickey introduces new chord forms later in the book in order to help transposing and finding playable "chord patterns" anywhere on the guitar. IMO, the most valuable part of the entire method, at least the chord part, is that later on one really gets to understand, in practical hands-on terms, the value of drilling all these chord forms and patterns all over the neck.

For instance, If you've been following along you've no doubt played the Maj7 -- Maj6 pattern (I think chords 2 and 3) e.g. G Maj7 3x443x and G6 3x243x all up and down the neck. Later on new voicings for these chords are introduced with the root on the 5th string, etc.

The *concept* of taking a simple chord pattern and finding different parts of the guitar to play it, then drilling the hell out of those is really the heart and soul of the method... Not necessarily the actual chords and patterns he chose for his method (though those are fine for now), but the *process* of learning and ingraining them and the general sense of direction the book provides.

User Info Menu

On this one I tried the Victor Wooten metronome suggestion (not completely successfully). This is where you give yourself less and less metronome so you eventually have to be responsible for the good time.

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

This is great! Thanks for helping us work through Mickey's book.

User Info Menu

Hi Dijos, I'm glad you're finding these useful.

Ch 10 - I have nothing to add. He talks about using these chords as extensions or substitutions for other chords. Just read what he has to say.

Ch 11 - Here he shows the chords actually being used as substitutions.

I recorded this with the backing tracks playing the "Standard" chords. For each section of proceeding first down and then across. This is a little ragged which just goes to show I need more practice. That's a little discovery, 1) I've been practicing single lines more than chord changes and 2) some of these chords I seldom use.

Backing track is attached at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I was playing around with the idea of creating licks following some of Mickey's chord substitution. This can lead to some lines one might not normally think of.

Here's an example of a line over C to G7. Observe how the line just uses the notes of the chords (except for the 4th note the D).

Here's what it sounds like. The first two times are over just the C to G7. The second two times the backing track plays the sub chords, C Em7 Ebm7 Dm7 G13.

Backing track down below
    Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 12:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Just another chime of appreciation, Frank - for all the extra Internet material you're making available to users of Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar. Now essential, I'd think.

Loren

User Info Menu

Hi Loren, Thanks for checking it out...

User Info Menu

Chords Mickey should have included, imo:
    Attached Images Attached Images Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos-mickey-baker-extra-chords-jpg 
    Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 10:51 AM.