The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Chords that Mickey Should have included in his book
    Good evening, Frank...

Thanks very much for laying these out in this way; very classy (and very useful...).
    Good work; much appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Good evening, Frank...

Thanks very much for laying these out in this way; very classy (and very useful...).
    Good work; much appreciated.
    Your welcome, I'm glad you are finding this useful. I just remembered to add a pdf to my previous post. You could print that out and put in your Mickey Baker book if you're so inclined.

User Info Menu

Frank,

I'm reviewing Baker's "riffs" and "runs" right now, and as with the chord section, there are mistakes. Has anyone, to your knowledge, put together an "errata sheet" for this popular book? If not, it would be beneficial to very gradually compile a .pdf and post it somewhere, tagged with plenty Google words.

For example, there's a mistake in the very first diminished run he presents. Page 30, Ex 24. The fingering should be "4 1 3 4" and not "4 1 2 4," as he writes it.

You seem to have a knack for organizing such projects - so, just a thought. I'll help any way I can, of course. I'll proof the second half as I go through, for one thing.

Loren

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Frank,

Has anyone, to your knowledge, put together an "errata sheet" for this popular book?
    The only one I'm aware of is in post #281

Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar

User Info Menu

I have this book. Your example should read Lesson 30, Ex. 24

Earl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Earl
    I have this book. Your example should read Lesson 30, Ex. 24

Earl
    Right. Page 32, Lesson 30, Ex 24

Thank you, sir. : )

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I wanted to add a few more chords that I think we need. I updated post #27 and attached a new .pdf that includes these additional chords.

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to apply what we are learning to some tunes so here we go.

The chords are from the Mickey Baker book Lesson 1 plus the chords I added at post #27. There are three choruses, each with more chord changes than the previous.

There is a backing track and a .pdf of the changes at the bottom of this post.

https://app.box.com/s/lyk6bj1meyrgwa1mkb0k5mb8t999om8l

Here's a sample of what the .pdf looks like, just the first bit:
    Attached Images Attached Images Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos-autumn-leaves-chord-diagrams-jpg 
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fep; 03-05-2018 at 11:04 AM.

User Info Menu

My hat is duly doffed, sir. Warm thanks.

User Info Menu

Lesson 12. I'll just restate what Mickey wrote in perhaps and easier to understand and more concise way... When you have a dominant chord, try turning that one chord into 2 chords, a ii V of some sort.

Lesson 13: Mickey asked us to also try these vamps with the bass style and arpeggio styles from lesson 8. I mixed those in. The arpeggio style was the challenge for me. Since this is a swing you need to swing the arpeggio. Sometimes there are five note chords but only 4 eighth notes to play them in, so when doing the arpeggio you have to decide which notes to play. Sometimes I played two notes on the last eighth note.

Backing track attached.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fep; 01-06-2013 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

So, is this thead dead? I hope it isn't, I'll soon reach lesson 14...

User Info Menu

I have just found this and hats of to you for putting the vids together. I have finally got hold of a copy of mickey's book and will now begin my journey. I do hope you will continue putting the remaining lessons to vid as this is such a valueable guide to all of us jazz guitar player wannabes. Cheers and much appreciated

User Info Menu

Chord #29 is giving me a bit of trouble. I'll have to try to start using it so my fingers can get use to it.

I'll be working on the transposing, you should too. I've attached the mp3 backing track I made with BIAB.

Each example takes the repeat as indicated on page 14. The first repeat I play as written, the second repeat I change the rhythm (four to the bar except on the 2nd stave where I do a different rhythm that came to me)

Last edited by fep; 05-26-2014 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Sorry to revive this older thread, but I was thinking I might begin working through the Mickey Baker book and found these great videos (as well as Rob MacKillop's). One question - are the BIAB files (not the MP3 backing tracks from those files) available anywhere? Would this include the soloist option similar to the trumpet playing in the video several posts up? It think having these files would greatly help the learning process.

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

@bharris22

No problem reviving this thread.

I'm not aware of anyone who has put out BIAB files for Mickey Baker. I hadn't thought of that. It's a good idea.

I hope to continue this project at some future date and when I do I'll attach BIAB files.

User Info Menu

OK - thanks!

One question additional question, please - could you tell me what style and settings you used for the backing track in Exercise 13 above?
    Last edited by bharris22; 11-03-2014 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Your welcome, I'm glad you are finding this useful. I just remembered to add a pdf to my previous post. You could print that out and put in your Mickey Baker book if you're so inclined.
    Done and done. Thanks for this thread Frank, I missed this, so I'll be spending some time absorbing this stuff.

Rob

User Info Menu

I pretty much gave up guitar playing for a while. Trying to get back to it. So, back to this Mickey Baker thread, this gives me a project to work on.

Here is Mickey Baker's lesson #15... I played each line twice, the backing track is that way too.

Some notes on his lesson; 1) On the 3rd stave, measure 4, the chords should be Emi7 A13 (not Ami7 A13), 2) on the 5th stave, measure 2, the chords should be Gmi7 C7#5b9 (not Gmi7 C13#5b9)

Backing track attached.

User Info Menu

Frank, good to see you back. Nice guitar - what is it?

Good backing track too.

I disagree about the Am7 in bar 4 being a mistake. He could easily have written a repeat sign, as he does elsewhere, if that is what he wanted. It sounds fine to my ears as a parallel harmonic substitution for two beats, resolving to the A13...But I won't lose sleep if you insist otherwise

User Info Menu

Hi Frank,

Glad to see you're back at this and playing again, and thanks for the new lesson. Is it possible for you to post the backing tracks you have used thus far in BIAB format? If not, could you please let us know the style and settings you used for these?

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Frank, good to see you back. Nice guitar - what is it?

Good backing track too.

I disagree about the Am7 in bar 4 being a mistake. He could easily have written a repeat sign, as he does elsewhere, if that is what he wanted. It sounds fine to my ears as a parallel harmonic substitution for two beats, resolving to the A13...But I won't lose sleep if you insist otherwise
    Thanks for checking in Rob. That is an Eastman Guitar (503ce I think, I'm at work and don't have access to it right now).

I won't disagree with that, instead I'll just say... either one of use could be right.
    Last edited by fep; 07-09-2015 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bharris22
    Hi Frank,

Glad to see you're back at this and playing again, and thanks for the new lesson. Is it possible for you to post the backing tracks you have used thus far in BIAB format? If not, could you please let us know the style and settings you used for these?

Thanks!!
    That is a good idea. I tried to upload the BIAB file this time, those file types aren't allowed on this forum so it wouldn't upload.

I just put up some at my box.com box. This is all I could find, I must have wrote over some of them or something. Let me know if there are any problems with them. Overtime I'll try to get everything I do on this project (except the videos) in this folder.

https://app.box.com/s/wzeagt2g3ubvo90dwnf75sdiyu0p3gfj
    Last edited by fep; 07-09-2015 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Great - thank you very much!!

User Info Menu

I took out this book over the weekend to review the "Blues Solo". (I believe it's on page 39.) I really like that one.
    Anyway, I found myself thinking about Mickey's approach to fingering. He doesn't say too much about it in that book. Are we to assume he used "CAGED" fingerings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Frank,

I'm reviewing Baker's "riffs" and "runs" right now, and as with the chord section, there are mistakes. Has anyone, to your knowledge, put together an "errata sheet" for this popular book? If not, it would be beneficial to very gradually compile a .pdf and post it somewhere, tagged with plenty Google words.

For example, there's a mistake in the very first diminished run he presents. Page 30, Ex 24. The fingering should be "4 1 3 4" and not "4 1 2 4," as he writes it.
    I like to pretend that all the typos in MB are his way of making sure you're paying attention. It actually was helpful for me to catch the mistaken chords in the progressions, it requires you to really understand the principles behind his chord substitutions. Maybe the fingering mistakes are him subtly telling you to read the notes instead of the not-quite-TAB fingering notation