The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 531
    My right hand picking and strumming were always weak points.

I'm going through book 1 as a refresher: part 1 to practice different right hand rhythms to the more or less familar chord progressions, and part 2 picking technique and riffs.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goinbaroke
    That's great info Mark, I hate to give up the MB section 1 but I'm more into playing songs note by note using tabs, only for my own amusement. I can do section 1 & 2 together as I have the time to do it!! I have leukemia and just play to keep my old punkin alive for awhile!! LOL
    Sorry to hear about the leukemia. My nephew Adam was diagnosed with that just before his 3rd birthday. He's in his 40s now, thanks mainly to St. Jude's research hospital in Memphis. He spent a lot of his childhood there. He had a teddy bear and everything the doctors did to him, he would use the bear to demonstrate to his family what he'd been through. That bear had some tough times!

User Info Menu

Wow, sorry to hear about the little guy, I've at least lived to near 80, I have Myleoidplastica Leukemia, white blood platlets are the problem. I try to stay upbeat!

I wish I'd learned more music theory, I'm just using tabs and going thru MBs book, keeps me occupied and love to hear you guys playing on the forum.

User Info Menu

Hi folks. Is there a mistake in lesson 16? In the first two columns ( G7 to C7 ), the sixth staff from the top shows
    | G11 / G7b5 / | Cm7 / C7b5 / |

Should the third chord there be Gm7 not Cm7 as written? It makes more sense positionally.

thanks again

Rob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by w3stie
    Hi folks. Is there a mistake in lesson 16? In the first two columns ( G7 to C7 ), the sixth staff from the top shows
    | G11 / G7b5 / | Cm7 / C7b5 / |

Should the third chord there be Gm7 not Cm7 as written? It makes more sense positionally.

thanks again

Rob
    I agree with you that it should be labeled Gm7. Cm7 doesn't make any sense to me in this context.

On another note: I much as I love this book (I'm going thru the 1st half for the 3rd time) I still get confused by the way Mickey names chords - naming them for the chord they're substituting for.

User Info Menu

i don’t think it’s a mistake

User Info Menu

1st clue is we have the G11, we have sus sound.
    The Cm is an Eb6
    The Eb6 is F7 sus
    The F7 comes from the biii dim
    which pulls to your ii or V7 (or even the 1)

It’s like that progression that goes ii-V7-iiim7b5-VI7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    1st clue is we have the G11, we have sus sound.
    The Cm is an Eb6
    The Eb6 is F7 sus
    The F7 comes from the biii dim
    which pulls to your ii or V7 (or even the 1)

It’s like that progression that goes ii-V7-vii-iiim7b5-VI7
    Joe, I was just about to ask you to elaborate a little. However, the way it's written in the book has you jumping from the 9th fret down to the 3rd fret and back up to the 9th. A Mickey's Form 18 of a Cm7 is at the 3rd fret. A Form 24 C7b5 is at the 9th fret (this is actually a Gb7, the Tritone sub of C7). That doesn't make sense to me from a voice leading point of view. Additionally, it simply doesn't sound good to me either (I'm looking at it as if the next chord would some sort of F).

I know just enough music theory to be dangerous, so any further explanation from you would be very helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Joe, I was just about to ask you to elaborate a little. However, the way it's written in the book has you jumping from the 9th fret down to the 3rd fret and back up to the 9th. A Mickey's Form 18 of a Cm7 is at the 3rd fret. A Form 24 C7b5 is at the 9th fret (this is actually a Gb7, the Tritone sub of C7). That doesn't make sense to me from a voice leading point of view. Additionally, it simply doesn't sound good to me either (I'm looking at it as if the next chord would some sort of F).

I know just enough music theory to be dangerous, so any further explanation from you would be very helpful.
    Well yeah that voiceleading is garbage. however, when comping sometimes a big leap like that is cool (if it’s the exception). The next chord is actually Dm7 to D dim, and I think of this whole thing as being in C maj

User Info Menu

Well yeah that voiceleading is garbage. however, when comping sometimes a big leap like that is cool (if it’s the exception). The next chord is actually Dm7 to D dim, and I think of this whole thing as being in C maj
    Joe, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Using Occam's razor (much sharper than a Gillette ) the simplest explanation is that it's a typo - "C" instead of a "G".

I understand what you're saying about voice leading. You may want a big jump for effect, but in this case the voicing is simply not logical when you look at Lesson 16 in it's entirety.

Additionally, you're being forced to jump through hoops to explain why a Cm7 is correct when my ears tell me otherwise. To quote Groucho Marx, "Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?"

You, undoubtedly, have more knowledge of music theory than I do and your young ears are probably much better than mine. However, I'm going with my own ears and my own sense of logic on this one and say that it's a typo in the book.

Oh, and one more thing, the next chord is not a Dm7. That Dm7 is a separate example under the column G7 > Cmi. It has nothing to do with the 1st column, G7 > C7. Each example is 2 bars long. I think you're looking at it as a continuos line of music. There are 3 columns of examples - G7 > C7; G7 > Cmi; G7 > Cmaj.

User Info Menu

i need to start just keeping my trap shut on these questions haha

User Info Menu

i need to start just keeping my trap shut on these questions haha
    Ah, come on man. I always read and enjoy your posts.

Now, for the big question. Do you now think it's a typo in the book or are you sticking with your story? I won't be able to sleep until I see your answer.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I know from previous comments that the book has numerous typos, which leads me to believe it is more likely a typo. The preceding progression on that lesson is | Dm7 / Dm6 / | Gm7 / C13 / | So in the context of the rest of the lesson, he is playing positionally, that is showing progressions which group close together on the fretboard. So in that context, the Cm7 jump to the third position from the tenth stands out. I'm not saying the Cm7 is wrong, but was that MB's intent?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I know from previous comments that the book has numerous typos, which leads me to believe it is more likely a typo. The preceding progression on that lesson is | Dm7 / Dm6 / | Gm7 / C13 / | So in the context of the rest of the lesson, he is playing positionally, that is showing progressions which group close together on the fretboard. So in that context, the Cm7 jump to the third position from the tenth stands out. I'm not saying the Cm7 is wrong, but was that MB's intent?
    I agree with you 100% that this was a typo. I don't think this book had an editor. If so, he was the worst editor in music book history. The word "course" is used for "chorus" in several places. The v (minor) is referred to as the relative minor. These are just the errors I found with my limited knowledge. There are probably others.

Anyway, that was a good catch, Rob. I'm working through this book for the 3rd time. If there's anything else in this book that you'd like to discuss I'm ready, willing and able.

User Info Menu

Somewhere around here I found a link to a pdf correcting errors in Mickey's book.

That ringing a bell with anyone?

I can't find it just now.

User Info Menu

I agree with you 100% that this was a typo. I don't think this book had an editor. If so, he was the worst editor in music book history. The word "course" is used for "chorus" in several places. The v (minor) is referred to as the relative minor. These are just the errors I found with my limited knowledge. There are probably others.

Anyway, that was a good catch, Rob. I'm working through this book for the 3rd time. If there's anything else in this book that you'd like to discuss I'm ready, willing and able.
    Thanks Jack, I'm also working through for the second time, but I'm taking pains to do everything he suggests, e.g. writing everything out, transposing etc. Just plodding through at the moment and not worrying if things don't make perfect sense. Except for these typos! I'll keep on posting here if I hit a snag or get a bright idea :/

Rob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Somewhere around here I found a link to a pdf correcting errors in Mickey's book.

That would be very useful thanks Mark

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack, I'm also working through for the second time, but I'm taking pains to do everything he suggests, e.g. writing everything out, transposing etc. Just plodding through at the moment and not worrying if things don't make perfect sense. Except for these typos! I'll keep on posting here if I hit a snag or get a bright idea :/

Rob
    I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.

User Info Menu

I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.
    I'm determined to finish this book. I realised when we had a clean out recently that I have never finished an instruction book or method book, and I had quite a few. So I picked on this one and decided to finish it however long it takes. I find if I get stuck on something, I can always ask someone like on this forum, or put it aside for later. I read a good quote from Wes Montgomery, which I have printed out and stuck to my music stand. He says

"When you find guitar players who are playing, you'll find that at one time they never cared if they never played, they were going to keep on until they did. After a period of time, the beginning player will hear a little difference in his playing, and that little inspiration is enough to go further, and the first thing you know you won't back out. The biggest problem is getting started." (emphasis mine)

So I just keep on getting started. For now at least

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes

I have a copy of that pdf somewhere I will try and dig it out. I know I have it on a disc someplace. Age affecting memory the usual story.!
    I remember there were quite a few errors listed. Back when I've located it.

User Info Menu

Would be nice to have an erratta sheet in our books.

User Info Menu

Anyone have this on Kindle?

I have the book. Had it for years and it's a little worse for wear. Not that I'll get rid of it. But---because it's such a cheap book---I thought I might buy another copy and work through it again.

Then I saw the price for the Kindle version was under 7 bucks (US). I haven't bought any music books on Kindle. Thought the screen would be too small for practical use on a music stand. But someone gave me a Tablet recently and that's a larger screen; who knows? I don't, obviously, but I suspect someone around here does... ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goinbaroke
    Would be nice to have an errata sheet in our books.
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cabbycabbage; 08-25-2018 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbycabbage
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

Thanks again
    You're welcome anything to make life easier!!
    Agree with you on the Cmi7 - Gmi7 debate! Same fingering pattern used on the same page third line down bar three over the G7 makes sense to me.