The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Posts 426 to 450 of 531

User Info Menu

Hi Bill. Don't start with lesson 1, but jump right into lesson 2. Lesson 1 is just a presentation of the chords you will be studying in the ensuing lessons. I have a lot of videos on a good deal of these lessons on my website here: Mickey Baker – ArchtopGuitar.net

As for muting, you should mute every string that does not have a note on it. That's for strumming. But as Mickey mentions later, you could play them fingerstyle, or as arpeggios with a pick, in which case you don't have to mute.

Good luck. We are here for you if you have more questions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Cidec
    Sorry, this seems like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

There are 3 on Amazon, Book 1 (Black and Yellow), Book 2 (Red and Yellow), and Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar (Blue).

If I get the blue one, does that have both book 1 and 2?
    The blue book is the same as book 1. If you have the black and yellow cover (B&Y) version, there's no need to buy the blue version.
    Having said that, I did buy the blue version some time ago. The chord diagrams are a bit easier to view. I use the blue version when studying as the B&Y copy is getting pretty tattered.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hi Bill. Don't start with lesson 1, but jump right into lesson 2. Lesson 1 is just a presentation of the chords you will be studying in the ensuing lessons. I have a lot of videos on a good deal of these lessons on my website here: Mickey Baker – ArchtopGuitar.net

As for muting, you should mute every string that does not have a note on it. That's for strumming. But as Mickey mentions later, you could play them fingerstyle, or as arpeggios with a pick, in which case you don't have to mute.

Good luck. We are here for you if you have more questions.
    Thank you Rob! (I have seen your Youtube videos previously but will begin digging in through your website!!)
    I appreciate you clarifying how to strum the chords and your generosity for sharing your knowledge through your website.

User Info Menu

Hi, late to the thread (newbie member) but i'd just like to add that I too have been getting back into MB's book after dipping into other training materials. I'd also recently started Ted Green's Chord Chemistry but I really should master the basics before wrestling with his concepts

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for this thread about this awesome guitar method. I am currently at lesson 14 and I have a question about the progression in the first example:

Gmaj7 > G6 > Am7 > Am6 > Bm7 > Bbm7 > Am7 > D13b5b9 > Gmaj7 > G13b9 > C6 > C#dim7 > D6 > Em7 > Am7 > D13b5b9

this would be:

Imaj7 > I6 > iim7 > iim6 > iiim7 >iiibm7 > iim7 > V7 > Imaj7 > V7/V > IV6 > IV#dim7 > D6 ??? > vim7 > iim7 > V7

where is this D6 coming from?
    I would not expect a major chord here... can somebody help with an explanation?

thanks a lot in advance.

User Info Menu

a rootless GMaj9?

as such, forms a I-VI-II-V prgression

User Info Menu

Ask yourself what are the notes of D Maj6: D F# A B - those notes are in GMaj9, so I agree with GTRMan. MB wants to make sure you play a D root after the C - C# - chromatic bass line. Nowadays we might write GMaj9/D.

User Info Menu

thank you Rob and GTRMan, yes I believe that this D6 must be thought as a rootless Gmaj9 -root at the 5th string- and this way the maj chord fits with the progression as the “I” function.
    At this point of the course Mickey did not introduce any maj9 chord (even less rootless maj9 chords) so I was not expecting this one, I got really stuck.

thanks again !
    Last edited by pedro-sanz; 09-24-2020 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

sometimes the root motion is everything, in this case it's about where the bass is going, i believe there are often simple scalular bass lines that drive the harmony, analysis is great, but sometimes, it's just about that motion... I would love to buy these books and start checking this stuff out again

User Info Menu

here's the graph I had to do for myself, I am sharing in case somebody wants to use it.
    Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar-2020-09-25-mickey-baker-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd be wary of that last one, with two 7ths. Try frets 7x577x for GMaj7/B or 7x777x for GMaj9/B and D6, oh and Bm7 as well!.

User Info Menu

thanks a lot Rob, much appreciated.
    this would be then
    Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar-2020-09-25-mickey-baker-3-jpg

a lot of things not explained by Mickey...

User Info Menu

It's true he doesn't explain much, but he lived among people who used their ears more than most students do today, and the music was contemporary or only recent history. That makes a big difference.

User Info Menu

so far and at least for me it seems like an excellent method and the positive part of not explaining some concepts is that it forces oneself to think and make questions that otherwise would be bypassed

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker Vol. 1 was the first book of it's kind that I got. Before that I only had song books like the 100 top songs of the day or Carole King Tapestry album, or you could buy the sheet music of a single song like Bob Dylan's Don't Think Twice, It's alright (which I had) etc., they had notated piano accompaniment, melody, lyrics, and guitar chord names and diagrams.

That was in the early 70s and I didn't know theory beyond knowing chord grips and chord names and how to read music notation. So going through a bit of the Mickey Baker book I took things at face value, the book is simple in that way, that is "instead of playing G you can play this...". I was just trying to find some nuggets and use them in a song.

User Info Menu

w0w - after countless online youtube videos - paying for jazz guitar online courses
    i have come full circle - back to the mickey baker book "!!!!!

Andy

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has been commented in this forum, there is a digital version of the Mickey Baker book (the one with yellow cover) in Apple Books, perfect for the ipad.

I am newcomer to guitar and love jazz since I was a child, for some reasons I never had the chance to learn music, I am self taught and progressing with this amazing book ( after trying other methods). I am analysing every detail and trying hard to learn the theory, I have advanced really a lot, now at lesson 15.

my method is this: I created a Word doc where I paste every lesson and chord progression one by one, I write notes to every detail, paste theory to support each exercise, write the harmonic analysis, paste the graph of every chord at granular level with the intervals shown and inversions. So far I have around 96 pages explaining everything. I use the metronome and follow the very valuable tips share in this thread including the explanations given by Michael Joyce at Mickey Baker and the videos made by Rob at Rob MacKillop ~ Musician, invaluable resources! I can share the chord figures with intervals I someone is interested.

I am enjoying this a lot, not sure if this will take me two years to complete but this is a phenomenal process. Thanks everyone for this support !
    Last edited by pedro-sanz; 10-10-2020 at 05:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Erm, unvaluable or invaluable? Big difference!

User Info Menu

haha sorry for my English

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pedro-sanz
    haha sorry for my English
    Your English is fine.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has been commented in this forum, there is a digital version of the Mickey Baker book (the one with yellow cover) in Apple Books, perfect for the ipad.

I am newcomer to guitar and love jazz since I was a child, for some reasons I never had the chance to learn music, I am self taught and progressing with this amazing book ( after trying other methods). I am analysing every detail and trying hard to learn the theory, I have advanced really a lot, now at lesson 15.

my method is this: I created a Word doc where I paste every lesson and chord progression one by one, I write notes to every detail, paste theory to support each exercise, write the harmonic analysis, paste the graph of every chord at granular level with the intervals shown and inversions. So far I have around 96 pages explaining everything. I use the metronome and follow the very valuable tips share in this thread including the explanations given by Michael Joyce at Mickey Baker and the videos made by Rob at Rob MacKillop ~ Musician, invaluable resources! I can share the chord figures with intervals I someone is interested.

I am enjoying this a lot, not sure if this will take me two years to complete but this is a phenomenal process. Thanks everyone for this support !
    Chord figures with intervals would be great
    I am working through the book again and really enjoying the chord progressions

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

for many that were Pre-Tech (internet) Baker was the Book..

I was in the "I want to know everything" stage..and as suggested I wrote out all exercises in all keys and went through the book twice so yeah it was a two year study 52 lessons -one a week
    and I learned basic music reading and writing in the process ..with some theory and harmony..

It was lucky to be in a community of musicians and found other guitarist to play/experiment with every day..for hours!! ..so the lessons were reinforced with actual playing with other musicians

I learned alot from advanced guitarists who were already into jazz blues and prog rock at the time

the Baker book was/and still is a good primer to get you started in jazz and music in general

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by android
    Chord figures with intervals would be great
    I am working through the book again and really enjoying the chord progressions
    Here I attach the pdf with all of the chords with intervals, I have kept the book order and added some variations as suggested by Michael Joyce in his website.
    If you find a typo pls let me know so that I can update and re-upload.
    Mickey-Baker-chords-v1.pdf

User Info Menu

Nice. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Here I attach the pdf with all of the chords with intervals, I have kept the book order and added some variations as suggested by Michael Joyce in his website.
    If you find a typo pls let me know so that I can update and re-upload.
    Mickey-Baker-chords-v1.pdf
    That's a great format. Look at number 12 on book 2, there is no 7th in that chord labeled Cmaj7(9). As it is diagrammed, I'd call it C(add9)