Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 401 to 437 of 437
  1. #401

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by w3stie
    Thanks Jack, I'm also working through for the second time, but I'm taking pains to do everything he suggests, e.g. writing everything out, transposing etc. Just plodding through at the moment and not worrying if things don't make perfect sense. Except for these typos! I'll keep on posting here if I hit a snag or get a bright idea :/

    Rob
    I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

    As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

    BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #402

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I admire your self-discipline. This is my 3rd time through the 1st half and I'm still not doing it as Baker suggests. Coincidentally, I happen to be on Lesson 16 which is why I jumped on your question. I'm going to take a crack at applying this stuff to some standards as per Lesson 17. Frank Pratte (a forum regular) made a video using MB's chord substitutions on "All of Me." If you haven't seen it just do a search on YouTube for Frank Pratte. It was very helpful see to someone actually apply these concepts to a real song. Now I just need to buckle down and try it myself.

    As far as the 2nd half of the book goes I never got past lesson 30. (Standard notation is a struggle for me). I set some goals for August. One of those is to complete lesson 34 by the end of the month while reviewing the 1st half. Half the month has gone by and I haven't even started. I need to get moving and learn some "Hot" guitar.

    BTW, every time I go through the book things make more and more sense. The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together.
    I'm determined to finish this book. I realised when we had a clean out recently that I have never finished an instruction book or method book, and I had quite a few. So I picked on this one and decided to finish it however long it takes. I find if I get stuck on something, I can always ask someone like on this forum, or put it aside for later. I read a good quote from Wes Montgomery, which I have printed out and stuck to my music stand. He says

    "When you find guitar players who are playing, you'll find that at one time they never cared if they never played, they were going to keep on until they did. After a period of time, the beginning player will hear a little difference in his playing, and that little inspiration is enough to go further, and the first thing you know you won't back out. The biggest problem is getting started." (emphasis mine)

    So I just keep on getting started. For now at least

  4. #403

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Somewhere around here I found a link to a pdf correcting errors in Mickey's book.

    That ringing a bell with anyone?

    I can't find it just now.
    I have a copy of that pdf somewhere I will try and dig it out. I know I have it on a disc someplace. Age affecting memory the usual story.!
    I remember there were quite a few errors listed. Back when I've located it.

  5. #404

    User Info Menu

    Would be nice to have an erratta sheet in our books.

  6. #405

    User Info Menu

    Anyone have this on Kindle?

    I have the book. Had it for years and it's a little worse for wear. Not that I'll get rid of it. But---because it's such a cheap book---I thought I might buy another copy and work through it again.

    Then I saw the price for the Kindle version was under 7 bucks (US). I haven't bought any music books on Kindle. Thought the screen would be too small for practical use on a music stand. But someone gave me a Tablet recently and that's a larger screen; who knows? I don't, obviously, but I suspect someone around here does... ;o)

  7. #406

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by goinbaroke
    Would be nice to have an errata sheet in our books.
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cabbycabbage; 08-25-2018 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

  8. #407

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbycabbage
    Here we go boys and girls the Errata for Mickey Baker Enjoy!
    Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

    Thanks again

  9. #408

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by w3stie
    Thanks very much for that, very useful and will save a lot of head scratching! I think I can add another one to the already extensive list though. As discussed earlier in this thread, page 16 six lines down second measure, I think the Cmi7 should be a Gmi7 using Mickey's chord 18.

    Thanks again
    You're welcome anything to make life easier!!
    Agree with you on the Cmi7 - Gmi7 debate! Same fingering pattern used on the same page third line down bar three over the G7 makes sense to me.

  10. #409

    User Info Menu

    can you imagine if mickey was writing this book like “they’re going to love this. nothing too spicey until chapter 16 then WHAM i hit them with a cmi7!” kidding of course

  11. #410

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for this, just what we needed!!

  12. #411

    User Info Menu

    just bought the book, god help me

    lol

  13. #412

    User Info Menu

    hello, (sleepy?) study group!
    i got my hands on MB book, read the thread and am excited to join you. i play guitar for quite a long time, but did not rise from power/barre/cowboy and light soli on the pentatonic scale.
    but i dig jazz and wanted to learn it on the guitar, so here i am.

    i jumped right into it and started with lesson 1, learning the chords.
    as stated, i bought music paper and transcripted (is this the right word?) the tabs.

    right off the bat i get confused, as i dont have much knowledge about theory either.
    the Am7 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a minor 7th.
    the Am6 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a major 6th
    my question is twofold:
    a) why does the 7 chord add a minor 7th while the 6 chord adds a major 6th? is this "given"?
    b) do i have to know how and why chords are constructed to grind through the book?

    if b) is recommended does someone have a link/book recommendation to learn this kind of stuff in an intuitive way? the internet is full of information of questionable quality, so im overwhelmed where to look
    EDIT: I will have a look at jazzguitar.be own course on "Jazz Guitar Chord Theory". I would appreciate recommendations for a nice "theory" book or site nonetheless.

    thanks in advance
    Last edited by telerocka; 09-18-2019 at 08:20 AM.

  14. #413

    User Info Menu

    For those who may be interested, Tommy Harkenrider offers a Mickey Baker course via monthly subscription. I don't know anything about how it is structured, but he seems to be very prompt in responding to questions.

    Mickey Baker Monthly Subscription | Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots

    Contact | Tommy Harkenrider Blues & Roots

  15. #414

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telerocka
    hello, (sleepy?) study group!
    i got my hands on MB book, read the thread and am excited to join you. i play guitar for quite a long time, but did not rise from power/barre/cowboy and light soli on the pentatonic scale.
    but i dig jazz and wanted to learn it on the guitar, so here i am.

    i jumped right into it and started with lesson 1, learning the chords.
    as stated, i bought music paper and transcripted (is this the right word?) the tabs.

    right off the bat i get confused, as i dont have much knowledge about theory either.
    the Am7 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a minor 7th.
    the Am6 chord consists of the root, a minor 3rd, perfect fifth and a major 6th
    my question is twofold:
    a) why does the 7 chord add a minor 7th while the 6 chord adds a major 6th? is this "given"?
    b) do i have to know how and why chords are constructed to grind through the book?

    if b) is recommended does someone have a link/book recommendation to learn this kind of stuff in an intuitive way? the internet is full of information of questionable quality, so im overwhelmed where to look

    thanks in advance
    Yes a jazz theory book will help you. I recommend Berklee Press materials.

    Instrumental study and theory/harmony are separate topics. Learning them together is possible, but inefficient.

  16. #415

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telerocka
    hello, (sleepy?) study group!
    i got my hands on MB book, read the thread and am excited to join you. i play guitar for quite a long time, but did not rise from power/barre/cowboy and light soli on the pentatonic scale.
    but i dig jazz and wanted to learn it on the guitar, so here i am.

    i jumped right into it and started with lesson 1, learning the chords.
    as stated, i bought music paper and transcripted (is this the right word?) the tabs.



    EDIT: I will have a look at jazzguitar.be own course on "Jazz Guitar Chord Theory". I would appreciate recommendations for a nice "theory" book or site nonetheless.

    thanks in advance
    That section of the MB book is mainly about chords and progressions in G major, as I recall. In the key of G Maj the 6th of A would be F#.
    Think of it as (Am)+6. You are thinking A+(min6)
    In Gmaj your A chords will be built with A1 B2 C3 D4 E5 F#6 G7

  17. #416

    User Info Menu

    Just a little update... i "advanced" to lesson 3. As i get half an hour of practice approximately every two days at most, its not as fast as i would like it to be. but even now i feel myself getting better every session. "practice makes perfect" ad its best. in lesson 3 you can even start singing a melody over the chord progressions as they sound just nice... ill keep keeping on

  18. #417

    User Info Menu

    OK, I think I'm finally ready to do this. I had an MB Book 1 several years ago, took a look at some of the chords and thought "no way". Now I have a fresh copy, am studying Michael Joyce's web site, downloaded the corrections to MB. I know some of the chord stretches will be a major challenge, but I'll keep trying or find work-arounds. This forum has been a huge help.

    Cheers,
    Joe

  19. #418

    User Info Menu

    Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar is the one book I'd take to the "Island". I yawned myself through a ton of books which have been either (expensive) jokes or too complicated. I finally stripped down to Mickey's book and one about arpeggios/scales.(old) It's a good combo and enough for me.

    Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar-don-jpg

  20. #419

    User Info Menu

    That brings up an interesting question. Like a lot of people who never get very far with guitar, I have a lot of books. This time I'd like to keep my focus on MB, but something to complement his book might be helpful. If you had one supplement to Mickey Baker, other than Michael Joyce, what would it be?

    Cheers,
    Joe

  21. #420

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jdazey
    If you had one supplement to Mickey Baker, other than Michael Joyce, what would it be?
    Perhaps either Frank Vignola's "Modern Method for Guitar" or his "Inversion Excursion"?

  22. #421

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jdazey
    That brings up an interesting question. Like a lot of people who never get very far with guitar, I have a lot of books. This time I'd like to keep my focus on MB, but something to complement his book might be helpful. If you had one supplement to Mickey Baker, other than Michael Joyce, what would it be?

    Cheers,
    Joe
    Not a book but I'd look into Fareed Haque's ideas on comping.

    He has many youtube videos to watch.

    The big chords Mickey Baker teaches, while great to know, have limited practicality for comping with others.


  23. #422

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Not a book but I'd look into Fareed Haque's ideas on comping.

    He has many youtube videos to watch.

    The big chords Mickey Baker teaches, while great to know, have limited practicality for comping with others.
    There is pretty good book about so called shell chords and comping:

    Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar-chords-jpg

  24. #423

    User Info Menu

    This is rather late (almost 2 years after this thread was started) but I'm buying this book right now and beginning it. I've been playing guitar for just about 8 years and I have not really ever wanted to focus until I decided to start learning jazz guitar. Now that I'm learning jazz guitar I'm finding out how scatter-brained I am with this darn thing. So I'm beginning! Thank you!

  25. #424

    User Info Menu

    Actually, it's been 12 years. I've been going over all the earlier posts trying to get some perspective on MB and finding a lot of good tips/suggestions. I'm still working on lessons 1 and 2, but lesson 3 isn't too far off.

  26. #425

    User Info Menu

    I take nearly everything in Mickey's book for "starters". i.e. I take one of the chords, write down its
    tones, build arpeggios or take one of his runs (part 2 of the book), build the scale around it and practise.
    That book is an endless source.

    Here's Mickey...cool

  27. #426

    User Info Menu

    I highly recommend this book for those trying to get their head around how to start moving towards jazz. This really helped me as a teenager to start to put things together.

    In relation to study, very soon I will be re-releasing "JC Stylles Benson Picking Tutorial" again for those who really want to take advantage of this down time. Additionally, I am setting things up so if anyone would appreciate a way to have some money coming in , I will be in a position to set you up as an affiliate, so you can receive a 25% commission on anyone clicking on your link who wants to learn from my tutorials and purchases accordingly, and will also be adding some new Tutorials in due course. In the meantime, keep on shedding ~

    Cheers.

    JC Stylles

  28. #427

    User Info Menu

    Not sure why Randy Vincent's intro jazz guitar book doesn't get more attention.

    I never got much out of Mickey's book; maybe I haven't tried enough.

  29. #428

    User Info Menu

    I reviewed Randy's book on this forum some time ago. Excellent book.

  30. #429

    User Info Menu

    Hello everybody, I read the whole topic with a lot of interest since I had this book (the mickey baker volume 1 one) and wanted to give it a try as a beginner in jazz guitar. I played a lot of electric guitar (rock, blues mainly) as a youngster and recently I have been having a blast at learning classical guitar. And to entertain myself a little bit I figured why not jazz up things a little bit (as an extra).

    So here I am learning all the chords on page 2. To be honest I knew a lot of them, just didn't know the names of them . I am progressing my way through the first couple of lessons. I have found very valuable resources to help me start more confidently, because I read that there were a lot of errors and the book could benefit from a little refresher.

    I found these:

    - Mickey Baker Jazz Guitar | Rob MacKillop ~ Musician explanations from Rob MacKillop, thank you Rob!

    - In this thread I found an errata Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar . Very handy

    - Here : Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos There is supplemental material, in particular there is a pdf with some more chords, lol!!

    - If I understand correctly, the best way to "use" Mickey Baker's book is to jazz up "vanilla" changes. In this thread someone was talking about the basic progression of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay by Ottis Redding. I came across this "Vanilla Book" : The Vanilla Book that might prove useful later on.

    - And just tonight have I found this topic End of an era - Advanced Guitar Study Group dedicated to the Mickey Baker Method with a website in it : http://www.jazzandhotguitar.com/ And it seems like a complete breakdown of Mickey's book.

    Anyway, am I missing something?! This forum is a true gold mine, that's for sure...

  31. #430

    User Info Menu

    Hello,

    This is a great synthesis

    I'd add that if Mickey Baker is under some aspect a "old fashion" book, it's a great "chord training" one, and that all that you have listed is not a random amount of various ressources but makes a coherent whole package.
    Alone Mickey Baker's book is more or les useless for those (me) who are not seasoned jazz guitarists. Best case scenario you learn some chords and chords sequences, without really knowing why and what you are doing (this is especially true for chords substitutions, Mickey Baker gives no info of this topic), even the charts are not especially easy to read.
    But
    - Michael Joyce .Tef files allow for a real life use of the book, clear charts, playback MID system, and the website provides the text that is missing in the book, as a complement, Rob MacKillop gives great info about what and why we are doing, and a great visual representation of the way to play these chords in his videos
    - This text can be completed with Franck Mele Mickey Baker correction file, that is not only a correction file but gives also some great remarks , for example, on chord substitutions.
    - Once at ease with the chords séquence, with the help of Michael Joyce .nef files, they are much much pleasant to play along with Franck Prate mp3 files (his vidéos can be found here)

    As a beginning player I'd say that all this makes sense as a whole, and the "Real Mickey Baker Method" is : Mickey Baker material + Michael Joyce material + Rob McKillop material + Franck Prate material

    Luc
    Last edited by lstelie; 05-09-2020 at 06:12 AM.

  32. #431

    User Info Menu

    Sorry, this seems like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

    There are 3 on Amazon, Book 1 (Black and Yellow), Book 2 (Red and Yellow), and Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar (Blue).

    If I get the blue one, does that have both book 1 and 2?

    I've been picking through reviews and forum posts and can't seem to find a straightforward answer. I'd like to have everything, but don't really wanna pick up duplicates if I can help it.

  33. #432

    User Info Menu

    No, is the answer. My preference is for the black and yellow for Book 1. The layout is better, and most people have used that, so any page numbers referenced will probably be for it.

    Few people work through Book 2.

  34. #433

    User Info Menu

    I just bought book 1 and am confused by the very first lesson . . .

    When learning the chords, how do I know what strings should be muted? It appears all the strings should be played in the first 26 chords but I know that's not right for all of them.

    Any help would be appreciated!

  35. #434

    User Info Menu

    Hi Bill. Don't start with lesson 1, but jump right into lesson 2. Lesson 1 is just a presentation of the chords you will be studying in the ensuing lessons. I have a lot of videos on a good deal of these lessons on my website here: Mickey Baker – ArchtopGuitar.net

    As for muting, you should mute every string that does not have a note on it. That's for strumming. But as Mickey mentions later, you could play them fingerstyle, or as arpeggios with a pick, in which case you don't have to mute.

    Good luck. We are here for you if you have more questions.

  36. #435
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidec
    Sorry, this seems like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

    There are 3 on Amazon, Book 1 (Black and Yellow), Book 2 (Red and Yellow), and Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar (Blue).

    If I get the blue one, does that have both book 1 and 2?
    The blue book is the same as book 1. If you have the black and yellow cover (B&Y) version, there's no need to buy the blue version.
    Having said that, I did buy the blue version some time ago. The chord diagrams are a bit easier to view. I use the blue version when studying as the B&Y copy is getting pretty tattered.

    Cheers.

  37. #436

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hi Bill. Don't start with lesson 1, but jump right into lesson 2. Lesson 1 is just a presentation of the chords you will be studying in the ensuing lessons. I have a lot of videos on a good deal of these lessons on my website here: Mickey Baker – ArchtopGuitar.net

    As for muting, you should mute every string that does not have a note on it. That's for strumming. But as Mickey mentions later, you could play them fingerstyle, or as arpeggios with a pick, in which case you don't have to mute.

    Good luck. We are here for you if you have more questions.
    Thank you Rob! (I have seen your Youtube videos previously but will begin digging in through your website!!)
    I appreciate you clarifying how to strum the chords and your generosity for sharing your knowledge through your website.

  38. #437

    User Info Menu

    Hi, late to the thread (newbie member) but i'd just like to add that I too have been getting back into MB's book after dipping into other training materials. I'd also recently started Ted Green's Chord Chemistry but I really should master the basics before wrestling with his concepts