Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 451 to 465 of 465

User Info Menu

Erm, unvaluable or invaluable? Big difference!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

haha sorry for my English

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pedro-sanz
    haha sorry for my English
    Your English is fine.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this has been commented in this forum, there is a digital version of the Mickey Baker book (the one with yellow cover) in Apple Books, perfect for the ipad.

I am newcomer to guitar and love jazz since I was a child, for some reasons I never had the chance to learn music, I am self taught and progressing with this amazing book ( after trying other methods). I am analysing every detail and trying hard to learn the theory, I have advanced really a lot, now at lesson 15.

my method is this: I created a Word doc where I paste every lesson and chord progression one by one, I write notes to every detail, paste theory to support each exercise, write the harmonic analysis, paste the graph of every chord at granular level with the intervals shown and inversions. So far I have around 96 pages explaining everything. I use the metronome and follow the very valuable tips share in this thread including the explanations given by Michael Joyce at Mickey Baker and the videos made by Rob at Rob MacKillop ~ Musician, invaluable resources! I can share the chord figures with intervals I someone is interested.

I am enjoying this a lot, not sure if this will take me two years to complete but this is a phenomenal process. Thanks everyone for this support !
    Chord figures with intervals would be great
    I am working through the book again and really enjoying the chord progressions

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

for many that were Pre-Tech (internet) Baker was the Book..

I was in the "I want to know everything" stage..and as suggested I wrote out all exercises in all keys and went through the book twice so yeah it was a two year study 52 lessons -one a week
    and I learned basic music reading and writing in the process ..with some theory and harmony..

It was lucky to be in a community of musicians and found other guitarist to play/experiment with every day..for hours!! ..so the lessons were reinforced with actual playing with other musicians

I learned alot from advanced guitarists who were already into jazz blues and prog rock at the time

the Baker book was/and still is a good primer to get you started in jazz and music in general

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by android
    Chord figures with intervals would be great
    I am working through the book again and really enjoying the chord progressions
    Here I attach the pdf with all of the chords with intervals, I have kept the book order and added some variations as suggested by Michael Joyce in his website.
    If you find a typo pls let me know so that I can update and re-upload.
    Mickey-Baker-chords-v1.pdf

User Info Menu

Nice. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Here I attach the pdf with all of the chords with intervals, I have kept the book order and added some variations as suggested by Michael Joyce in his website.
    If you find a typo pls let me know so that I can update and re-upload.
    Mickey-Baker-chords-v1.pdf
    That's a great format. Look at number 12 on book 2, there is no 7th in that chord labeled Cmaj7(9). As it is diagrammed, I'd call it C(add9)

User Info Menu

I would love to see your Word document! That would be VERY nice of you to share!

Best,
    Bill R.

User Info Menu

@jdazey:
    thank you

@fep:
    Thank you for your comment. Book 2 Chord 12 Mickey is calling this a "Cmaj9". I agree with you that it sounds more correct to call it Cadd9 since it is a triad plus the 9th. I have updated the file, here attached again.

@Bill R:
    I am not using Word to create the graphics, I use the Mac app called Curio which is fantastic, then I paste all the diagrams as images in Word. If you have Curio I have no problem to share the native file, just let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Hi,

I'm stuggling to understand these chords - in term of why the sit where they do in relation to a root note. For example why does D13b5b9 sit where it is? Feel I just need a hook to got to when transposing up the neck (like the string six fret for maj6/7 min 6/7 etc).

Any help/hints/tips would be great

Thanks

Jim

User Info Menu

Okay, Jim, this is a celebrated chord in this book. It is rootless - the root of the chord is missing. This sometimes happens when you have a lot of altered notes. The b9 is on the 5th string, fret 6. The root of the chord is D, 5th string, fret 5 - only one fret below the b9. I hope that helps you place it.

Let's transpose it down a tone, so C7 goes to F. We want to play C13b5b9, so need to place the b9 (played with the third finger) a fret above the C. Does that make sense to you?

Another way to look at D13b5b9 is that it is just a variant of D7, which naturally goes to G - G6 or GMaj7, for example. You could just think G (3rd fret, string 6) and then place your first finger one fret higher to play D13b5b9. So, wherever the chord is that is after the 13b5b9, just go one fret higher for the 13b5b9.

Back in the key of F...F is the chord we are heading to, say FMaj7. Place your C13b5b9 chord one fret higher, fret 2, then go down a fret to play the F Maj7.

Comprende?

User Info Menu

Here are the fret numbers for C13b5b9 going to FMaj7. x = don't play or mute this string.

2 4 x 3 5 5

1 x 2 2 1 x

User Info Menu

Rob, thanks very much, that's brilliant - just what I needed. I've been enjoying trying to figure some of the stuff out in the book, but needed to be led through on that one.
    Thanks again
    Jim

User Info Menu

Cheers, Jim.

Just going a little deeper, we could treat the Ab on string 6 as the root of an Ab7#9 - exactly the same fingering as Mickey's D13b5b9.

Why would we do that? It's a tritone substitution. What? For those who don't know, you can replace any V7 chord with a V7 chord three tones away (hence tritone). So, for a 251 sequence in G Major: Am7/Ab7#9/GMaj7

Sometimes it's easier to think of it that way. Play a ii chord from the root, flatten it for a tritone dominant, flatten again for the root of the I chord.

I'll stop here, because any further complication will, erm, complicate things.